The new wind turbines, to the East of Sheffield.

How come as I don't understand why that should be?

I build a windmill and you say "hey its ok, it cost £100 but it`s 30% effcnt"

I build 2K windmills and you say "hey, we`re wasting £140,000 here, and still only meeting 30% of our needs"

wind turbines are a blight on the landscape there are far better ways of producing electricity. last year i had free solar panels fitted all i paud was 100 quid for some scaffoldind my solar panels are now producing electricity were i live in chesterfield the council have alot of disabled bungalows and are having panels fitted to the roof for free, therehoping to do the whole town in the near future. so we don't need turbines in the fields spoiling the great views we have and as far as i know they don't produce nearly as much as we need

I like them, they look very graceful and impressive.

I think we need to move forward and use all ways of producing electricity. a lot of people are complaining about windmills and solar panels but this is all negative thinking, I do not see them suggesting any alternatives.

Maybe all the 'Flat Earthers' would like us to bury our heads in the sand and continue to mine coal or build a few nuclear plants or keep the arabs in business by using oil fuels.

Whichever way we look at it, we have to move on and eventually the technology will develop to a more acceptable way to produce power.

I remember spending sometime on the island of Symi. The owners of three winmills perched on the top of the hill were converted to holiday lets. The first holiday makers arrived and complained to the courier that the windmills were windy.

You just cannot win.

Happy Windy Days! PopT

I'd rather have wind turbines than nuclear power, Cookingfat! Much better for the environment!

Will you be saying that whaen your lights don't come on because there's no wind?

It'll be even worse when we all plug our electric cars into the mains.

I build a windmill and you say "hey its ok, it cost £100 but it`s 30% effcnt"

I build 2K windmills and you say "hey, we`re wasting £140,000 here, and still only meeting 30% of our needs"

Can anyone help me decifer this?

I'll start by pointing out that 30% efficient is not the same as "only meeting 30% of our needs".

Still stumped by the rest, though.

Its hard to find somewhere that isn't blighted by these things. They seem to go up overnight? Surely there is an alternative by using the tides to generate power?

Not much of a tidal flow around Sheffield but there's plenty of wind :hihi:

I'll start by pointing out that 30% efficient is not the same as "only meeting 30% of our needs".

Also, what happens to the lost 70% of the energy?

Also, what happens to the lost 70% of the energy?

It disappears as heat (and noise) into the atmosphere.

Also you need to be specific where you measure the efficiency, any generating system is less efficient if efficiency is measured at the point of use due to line losses &c.

no-one said it was, jog on kitty

no-one said it was

Precisely ... Your post doesn't appear to be saying anything. Would you like to explain it to us?

jog on kitty

How strange.