The new wind turbines, to the East of Sheffield.

Precisely ... Your post doesn't appear to be saying anything. Would you like to explain it to us?

How strange.

not really, you`ll work it out eventually.

not really, you`ll work it out eventually.

I already did. Unscientific nonsense.

I build a windmill and you say "hey its ok, it cost £100 but it`s 30% effcnt"

I build 2K windmills and you say "hey, we`re wasting £140,000 here, and still only meeting 30% of our needs"

To be honest the eficacy is not really that important as the what is used to power the windmills is wind, which is free. Compare that to coal or Nuclear power and you will see where the savings are. So the only cost is the initial set-up costs and like anything that cam be mass produced in quantity those costs will come down as more are produced.

There are on-going maintenance costs, insurance, loan repayments &c to consider too.

Will you be saying that whaen your lights don't come on because there's no wind?

There will always be wind somewhere and when you have a network around the country you could be guaranteed electricity via the grid.

It is also possible to store the unused capacity by creating Hydrogen which can be stored and could then be use for vehicles.

---------- Post added 08-04-2013 at 19:22 ----------

There are on-going maintenance costs, insurance, loan repayments &c to consider too.

But that also applies equally to conventional generated power.

I've been close to them today. There were two turbines going around quite quickly, however there was no obvious wind in the trees and bushes on the road I was on

They really are graceful, beautiful objects

I already did. Unscientific nonsense.

who said anything was science? I think someone has a crush on me, shame your not my type.

---------- Post added 08-04-2013 at 20:38 ----------

To be honest the eficacy is not really that important as the what is used to power the windmills is wind, which is free. Compare that to coal or Nuclear power and you will see where the savings are. So the only cost is the initial set-up costs and like anything that cam be mass produced in quantity those costs will come down as more are produced.

but is that not the same for nuclear?

you`ll never be producing enough windmills to bring the cost down to make them viable cheaper

but is that not the same for nuclear?

Ah, nuclear power "too cheap to meter". With a waste product that has to be kept safe for thousands of years yet regularly leaks out somewhere because of short term thinking, despite billions spent. Millions now spent on securing them (how many armed guards around the wind turbines?). And a decommissioning of a site which takes a lifetime, with land contaminated for decades or centuries. See Dounreay for just one example.

Don't get me wrong, I think nuclear power is great. Just not in the hands of 20th and 21st century humans.

Edited by alchresearch

But what's all this got to do with a little girl wanting to see a master class of engineering close up ? :roll:

who said anything was science? I think someone has a crush on me, shame your not my type.

We'll leave it there then; you've, once again, shown your mettle.

Ah, nuclear power "too cheap to meter". With a waste product that has to be kept safe for thousands of years yet regularly leaks out somewhere because of short term thinking, despite billions spent. Millions now spent on securing them (how many armed guards around the wind turbines?). And a decommissioning of a site which takes a lifetime, with land contaminated for decades or centuries. See Dounreay for just one example.

Don't get me wrong, I think nuclear power is great. Just not in the hands of 20th and 21st century humans.

Consequence from some of the pollution from Wind Power,

The report then goes on to claim; ‘People too began to suffer. Dalahai villagers say their teeth began to fall out, their hair turned white at unusually young ages, and they suffered from severe skin and respiratory diseases. Children were born with soft bones and cancer rates rocketed.’ 4

Extracting neodymium involves pumping acid down boreholes to dissolve and retrieve the minerals, then other acids, chemicals and high heat are used to further process the material, which in turn creates toxic waste which is dumped in large lakes of toxic sludge. The dumping of the toxic materials in this manner has resulted in seepage into the surrounding fields and water supplies and noxious air emissions have killed trees, crops, cattle, polluted lakes and streams, and given local people respiratory and intestinal problems, osteoporosis and cancer.

http://fifewindfarms.org.uk/toxic-impacts-from-wind-turbines/

you can see them if you drive on m18 from jct 1 back to sheffield.