Closed field for dog training

Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone can advise me of someone who owns a fully enclosed field that i could rent by the hour to train my dog in.

He's a boystrous adolescent that needs some off-lead training in an enclosed environment before trialling him in parks, etc.

He's otherwise very well trained, but the puppy in him comes out when off-leash, so I need to 'desensitise' him to it without the worry of him running off.

I'm happy to travel within the broader Sheffield area.

any help would be much appreciated,

thanks.

Not a field, but tennis courts in some of the parks are useful, they are generally enclosed with gates and people tend to leave you alone if you're in there with a dog too!

Sorry I can't help as I'm after exactly the same thing. My dogs can never go off lead. Please let me know if you manage to find somewhere!

Failing that, have you thought about a long line?

Maybe ask some of the local agility clubs? They might be happy to let you rent an empty enclosed field for some time.

There's a really useful field in Loxley that you could use. It is a very large field though, so I'd suggest you start with a long line at the bottom end of it where there's often nobody other than you and your dog in the field.

The field has walls around it, but the walls into the surrounding fields are relatively low and as a consequence he could decide to take a detour if he decided to really do a bunk, so it's a good idea to start on a long line until you're sure about recall. The wall onto the road is very tall and secure though, so it's a really safe place.

The field is along the Loxley Road and is on your left after you've passed the Admiral Rodney pub, just before the turning (on the right) up to the Loxley garden centre (Long Lane). The entrance to the field is gated and the field goes down the valley for a good couple of hundred yards and if you're in the bottom of the field you can't even be seen by people at the top. There's space for half a dozen dogs to chase balls without interacting with each other, and often when I'm up there during week days with Molly we're the only ones in the field.

If you'd rather start with smaller and more secure places then a tennis court or similar would be a good stepping stone.

Maybe ask some of the local agility clubs? They might be happy to let you rent an empty enclosed field for some time.

I haven't found a local agility club that has their own field. They all just seem to use public space unfortunately.

---------- Post added 05-04-2013 at 20:26 ----------

There's a really useful field in Loxley that you could use. It is a very large field though, so I'd suggest you start with a long line at the bottom end of it where there's often nobody other than you and your dog in the field.

The field has walls around it, but the walls into the surrounding fields are relatively low and as a consequence he could decide to take a detour if he decided to really do a bunk, so it's a good idea to start on a long line until you're sure about recall. The wall onto the road is very tall and secure though, so it's a really safe place.

The field is along the Loxley Road and is on your left after you've passed the Admiral Rodney pub, just before the turning (on the right) up to the Loxley garden centre (Long Lane). The entrance to the field is gated and the field goes down the valley for a good couple of hundred yards and if you're in the bottom of the field you can't even be seen by people at the top. There's space for half a dozen dogs to chase balls without interacting with each other, and often when I'm up there during week days with Molly we're the only ones in the field.

If you'd rather start with smaller and more secure places then a tennis court or similar would be a good stepping stone.

Thanks for this, I'm just having a look on Google maps. Is it the field with a building in the corner? If it's that one then it also has children's play equipment in so might not be suitable for a dog with no recall!

Edited by cparsons

We have our own field but the only enclosed area in it is our show ring

We have our own field but the only enclosed area in it is our show ring

Do you rent the show ring out?

Disused tennis court at the back of Frechville pond s12, has dogs train in there.Joy

thank you for all of your suggestions so far people, i will explore all of them.

I am particularly interested in the show ring if this is secure and available for hire?

Hi I work for a dog rescue in charity in Rotherham but live in Sheffield, I am looking for enclosed field to rent by the hour to possibly start dog training for our rescue dogs n owners, as well as rehabilitation work, poss take outside work on if need be. Can anyone help with suitable land/fields?