The Linux Thread

Cheers swarf, not getting any better yet lol.

I was surprised to learn recently that BackTrack is no longer available - it has changed its name to 'Kali' and is now a full featured distro! I will report back after I have tested the version on LXF!;)

---------- Post added 18-05-2013 at 19:02 ----------

Kali - what does it have?

Accessories: Calculator, Character Map, Contacts, Desktop Search, DFF (Digital Forensics Framework), Disk Utilitiy, Files, Gscriptor (send commands to smart cards), Gvim (text editor), Leafpad (simple text editor), Main Menu (menu editor), Root Terminal (enter commands as 'Root' [administrator], screenshot (capture desktop image), Terminal, True Crypt - create and mount TrueCrypt encrypted volumes, Zim Desktop Wiki (edit text files in "Wiki" format.

Electronics: Arduino IDE (create physical projects)

Graphics: Document Viewer (Evince - view pdfs), Image Viewer (photo viewer)

Internet: Desktop Sharing (remote access), Empathy Internet Messaging, IceWeasel Web Browser (Open Web Browser by mozilla.

Kali: Top 10 security tools: aircrack-ng, burpsuite, hydra, john, maltego, metasploit framework, nmap, sqlmap, wireshark, zaproxy.

Information Gathering

DNS Analysis; dnsdict6, dnsenum, dnsmap, dnsrecon, dnsrevenum6, dnstracer, dnswalk, fierce, maltego, nmap, urlcrazy.

IDS/IPS Identification; fragroute, fragrouter, wafw00f.

Live Host Identification; alive6, arping, cdpsnarf, detect-new-ip6, detect_sniffer6, dmitry, dnmap-client, dnmap-server, fping, hping3, inverse_lookup6, miranda, ncat, netdiscover, nmap, passive_discovery6, thcping6, wol-e, xprobe2.

Network Scanners; dmitry, dnmap-client, dnmap-server, netdiscover, nmap.

OS Fingerprint; dnmap-client, dnmap-server, miranda, nmap.

OSINT Analysis; casefile, creepy, dmitry, jigsaw, maltego, metaspoofit, theharvester, twofi, urlcrazy.

Route Analysis; dnmap-client, dnmap-server, intrace, netmask, trace6.

Service Fingerprinting; dnmap-client, dnmap-server, implementation6, implementation6d.

SMB Analysis; acccheck, nbtscan, nmap.

SMTP Analysis; nmap, smtp-user-enum, swaks.

SNMP Analysis; braa, cisco-auditing tool, cisco torch, copy-router-config, merge-router-config, nmap, onesixtyone, snmpcheck.

SSL Analysis; sslcaudit, ssldump, sslh, sslscan, sslsniff, sslstrip, sslyze, stunel4, tissled.

Telephony analysis; ace.

Traffic Analysis; cdpsnarf, intrace, irpass-ass, irpass-cdp, p0f, tcpflow, wireshark.

VoIP Analysis; ace, enumiax.

VPN Analysis; ike-scan.

Vulnerability Analysis

Cisco Tools; cisco-auditing-tool, cisco-global-exploiter, cisco-ocs, cisco-torch, yersinia.

Database Assessment; bbqsql, dbpwaudit, hexorbase, mdb-export, mdb-hexdump, mdb-parsecsv, mdb-sql, mdb-tables, oscanner, sidguesser, sqldict, sqlmap, sqlninja, sqlsus, tnscmd10g.

Fuzzing Tools; bed, fuzz_ip6, ohrwurm, powerfuzzer, sfuzz, siparmyknife, spike-generic_chunked, spike-generic_listen_tcp, spike-generic_send_tcp, spike-generic_send_udp.

Misc Scanners; lynis, nikto, nmap, unix-privesc-check.

Open Source Assessment; casefile, maltego.

OpenVAS; openvas-gsd, openvas-setup.

Part 2 to follow! I need some dinner!:hihi:

---------- Post added 26-05-2013 at 13:01 ----------

Warning on Zorin 7 - avoid like the plague! I have recently tried the Release Candidate (32-bit) of Zorin 7 and just like Roaring Ringtail, I am not impressed! Windows wireless drivers are not present at time of install, Geary is the default mail client (no good unless you have an IMAP account), and pidgin replaces Empathy for IRC (Kali uses empathy so it can't be that bad!). The plymouth spalsh screen is painful on the eyes, the new wallpaper is reminiscent of BARIC (Barclays/ICL) computer bureaux of the late 70's and early 80's. If you have Zorin 6.x with LTS stick with that!

warning on zorin 7 - avoid like the plague! I have recently tried the release candidate (32-bit) of zorin 7 and just like roaring ringtail, i am not impressed! Windows wireless drivers are not present at time of install, geary is the default mail client (no good unless you have an imap account), and pidgin replaces empathy for irc (kali uses empathy so it can't be that bad!). The plymouth spalsh screen is painful on the eyes, the new wallpaper is reminiscent of baric (barclays/icl) computer bureaux of the late 70's and early 80's. If you have zorin 6.x with lts stick with that!

:)

So which distro would you recommend? as I am now in a position to put Linux on my desktop PC.

:)

Just thought I would update - at least the brothers Zorin listen to people:

http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4642#p22026

unlike Mr. Shuttleworth!:D

---------- Post added 29-05-2013 at 14:55 ----------

So which distro would you recommend? as I am now in a position to put Linux on my desktop PC.

Hi AngryDog,

What is the spec - is it the same as the last one you posted? and more crucially, are you still wanting xbmc?

Pretty much Swarf yeah. Might be installing VMWare ESX first though.

Pretty much Swarf yeah. Might be installing VMWare ESX first though.

HI AngryDog - I have PM'd you!!

zdnet - ; 1.82M logins, email addresses stolen

Ubuntu Forums suffered a massive data breach, the company behind the Linux open-source based operating system said on Saturday.

In an announcement posted on its main forum page, Canonical confirmed there had been a security breach and that the team is working to restore normal operations.

The notice said "every user's local username, password and email address" from their database was stolen.

That's correct, I have been busy bringing peoples attention to it on 3 other Ubuntu distro-based forums. What can one say but ... PANTS!:gag:

You would think they would have been GNU/Linux savvy wouldn't you? Suspect another case of:

1. Complacency;

2. Laziness on Sys Admins part.

Another part of me is cynical and Mr. Shuttleworth organised it so 'buntu forks could not benefit from the wealth of knowledge on there - today I have been reliant on what DuckDuckGo can bring back from other sources!

Edited by swarfendor43

Why not bring it to mention on vBulletin then, since it's probably there that the breach is?

Hi Obelix, I am not all that with it - what is vBulletin? [Obelix - please ignore this last post!]

---------- Post added 22-07-2013 at 21:28 ----------

OK, for anyone following this thread, it does NOT mean that GNU/Linux is insecure, and had I known about it sooner I would have posted on here like a shot (there are members on here that use Ubuntu and their derivatives Paul!;) ).

Obviously, being a moderator on the Zorin forums they came first and with doing other jobs as well, things get delayed, so an apology from me but, hey, that's life - just as you are about to post something - a task needs completion - and let's be fair - requests in ones immediate environment should take precedent!;)

Edited by swarfendor43