The Linux Thread

Update on FerenOS - discovered on newer machines, Calamares installer fails whatever you do - Solution - use another Linux distro or use GParted to partition the driver first:

1. 50 Mb EFIBOOT (or ESP) formatted to FAT32

2. 50 Gb format to Ext4 and mark as '/'

3. Create Double your physical RAM to apply to 'linux-swap' at end of drive.

4. Between '/' and 'linuxswap' create remaining space formatted to Ext4 and mark as '/home'

Then run the installer using the partition layout you used with other Distro or live GParted disc.

https://gparted.sourceforge.io/

Edited by swarfendor437

On 14/02/2020 at 18:17, swarfendor437 said:

Hi Pyrotequila, Had a look at the spec sheet - how much RAM does it have? 1 or 2 Gb?

I believe 1GB based on how sluggish it is.

I don't have it to hand now so I can't check.

Hi, in view of the low RAM I can recommend two lightweight distributions for you - Antix 19 or MX Linux 19 - the latter I even managed to install on a D600 with only 512 Mb RAM (now got rid of). You could also try xfce based distributions - one that requires a min of 1 Gb of RAM is Sparky Linux, the other is Voyager 18.04 (xfce). ;)

Can I download the above onto a U,S.B. and run the programme from that or would it be better to buy the Linux mint pack from the Linux shop? 

Edited by Kidorry
Added text. Deleted text

Hi kidorry,

Been busy working from home and fielding issues on the Zorin forum. Personally I cannot stand it but you could give it a go - others swear by it - just make sure you have a USB with a minimum of 8 Gb of storage, formatted to FAT32 and use this:

https://www.balena.io/etcher/

You can even use it on SD Cards if the Computer/Notebook has an SD Card slot you can boot off.

13 hours ago, swarfendor437 said:

Hi kidorry,

Been busy working from home and fielding issues on the Zorin forum. Personally I cannot stand it but you could give it a go - others swear by it - just make sure you have a USB with a minimum of 8 Gb of storage, formatted to FAT32 and use this:

https://www.balena.io/etcher/

You can even use it on SD Cards if the Computer/Notebook has an SD Card slot you can boot off.

I have an old laptop with windows 7 on that will not install windows 10  so I was thinking , could I format the hard drive and  run a linux disc instead?

If it has less than 1 Gb of Memory then you need to go for AntiX or MXLinux. If it has 2 Gb or more you could give ZorinOS a try - if 32-bit you would need Zorin Lite 32-bit or you might want to give Sparky Linux a try but that definitely needs 1Gb minimum to run. You could alternatively install a futuristic looking OS - EliveOS which runs quick on older kit but it uses context menus - left click and right-click - there is no 'menu' button, and has a MacOS type Panel by default. Sof for example if your old laptop has 1Gb RAM max, part of that may be used for graphics unless the specification of your notebook states that it has dedicated graphics memory.

Decided to buy the linux mint pack from the Linux shop. I will try all 5 of the discs and see which one I like. Cheers for all your information. No doubt when I get started with the discs I will be pestering you again for information.

Well discussion of OS's came up at yesterday's Linux User Group meeting and one I never heard of came up - emmabuntüs. Aimed at Education, a well thought out distro with nice welcome screens:

file.php?id=7084&mode=view

file.php?id=7085&mode=view

file.php?id=7086&mode=view

file.php?id=7087&mode=view

Finally got round to uploading a quicktour video here:

Was pleasantly surprised to see it includes my favourite USB creation tool in Linux, MultiSystem. You may need to change default video settings to 1080p for a better view.

Edited by swarfendor437

Recently discovered that Zorin OS are planning to create for ARM processor devices, concentrating on the RaspberryPi 4 with bias towards education. Won't be available until the end of the year.