The Linux Thread

First look at the links given here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2142136

Hi, I have never done this so if it works, great! :D

1. I would download EasyBCD and install it to your Laptop running Windows.

2. Use whatever it is you decide (USB/DVD) to install to your external device - if you are running a Laptop with UEFI enabled you will have to disable Security option and turn on 'Legacy' mode - you won't even be able to boot from DVD if Legacy is not enabled in the BIOS. Also, if an 8.1 prior to 10 machine, turn off 'fast boot' as well.

When it comes to installing any GNU/Linux distro you are advised to do the 'something else' method - so you can easily access '/home' SHOULD anything go wrong with the system, you would still be able to access your '/home' folder using a live distro. And as for Gb remember to multiply by 1024 to get the right number!

30 Gb = 30 x 1024 = 30720

3. Format your external hard drive as:

a. '/boot' - 512 Mb formatted to ext4

b. '/' - 30 Gb - this holds your System files

c. create an extended partition with a 'swap area' that matches the RAM on your Laptop in size e.g., 4 Gb - no need to designate file system as this is done automatically - put this at the END of the extended partition then at the beginning of the extended partition, create '/home' for all your data and downloads.

d. Put GRUB on the boot sector of the external hard drive.

Now whilst having the external drive connected to the Laptop, Boot into Windows - you may have to disable 'Legacy mode' to get back to Windows and run EasyBCD - how to use see my dual boot with Win 7 video here:

Now the issue might arise where booting and choosing Ubuntu to boot (keep windows as your primary boot) but make it so there is no timeout so you choose which OS to boot from with Windows 10 at the top of the list.

Keep us posted - new territory here! :D

Edited by swarfendor43
Put GRUB - typo not Boot GRUB on the boot sector!

Much obliged swarfendor great stuff.

I will give it a go and report back

Just bear in mind that if you using an external HDD or a USB stick, the optimal way to do this differs.

The thing I pointed you at is how to do it for a USB stick, which generally you will need to make anyway in order to install Ubuntu onto an external HDD. Its by far the easiest method and as mentioned, you can choose the option to have everything save by default to the USB stick. You can always access your Windows partitions while in Linux too.

The instructions swarfendor gave you is specifically for installing to a HDD and not really recommended if its a USB stick rather than an actual HDD.

Hi Alex, I read the OP's post on this item of external use to read as external HDD - aware flash drives/usb thumb drives might have been in earlier postings.

Here is a YouTube vide by Quidsup on the matter too that may help:

and this one on external drive install:

Edited by swarfendor43

Hi Alex, I read the OP's post on this item of external use to read as external HDD - aware flash drives/usb thumb drives might have been in earlier postings.

Here is a YouTube vide by Quidsup on the matter too that may help:

and this one on external drive install:

Indeed, they did not seem to understand that the procedure may be different depending on which they choose, which is why I mentioned it.

I did not however have time to look into examples of how to do it though like you did. I also hate Ubuntu! :D

That is why I prefer to use Forks of Ubuntu rather than Ubuntu! Firstly UE, then Zorin.

Had Sabayon stayed 'as it was' from about 3.4f I might still be using it now.

Netrunner was an interesting KDE desktop - but Plasma and the panel can be a real PIA!

For anyone who is interested, one of the Moderators on Zorin has created an EFI version!

http://zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9493

OK, here is one you should try, if you have only ever used Windows this might suit you to the ground, no fancy compiz, just a distro that usess Cinammon desktop and both left and right Windows keys launch the Windows 7 style menu - but you could change that for a Cinammon themed menu and change the window borders to look like XP. Makulu 'Aero' is now a final release with HolaTV web browsing built into Opera developer and Popcorn Time.

Get it from here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/makulu/files/?source=navbar

I actually now prefer logging into a Cinammon DE on Zorin now!:

http://zoringroup.com/forum/download/file.php?id=4417&mode=view

Edited by swarfendor43

MakuluLinux 11 will be out in a couple of weeks - ok for people who don't need a screenreader:

Just discovered Deepin 15.1 - a bit naughty as it has Cross-Over Office included!

looks like it's trying to imitate windows

looks like it's trying to imitate windows

That's the perennial Linux desktop problem. If they produce their own UI people claim it's too different and Windows users will never be able to use it. If they produce something similar to Windows, the same people will claim it's just copying Windows.

The fact is all desktops copy ideas from each other. I doubt even Xerox could claim they were any different.