The Linux Thread

The point is to 'ease' people in to GNU/Linux - it is not a copy or bad copy - if it was it would be using 'executables' :D

Not to mention lots and lots of free stuff!

If you want something completely different mi dear, try Trisquel 6.0 (but don't expect Flash to work - well at least it will be secure!:hihi:)

Or going by your moniker, try Musix 2.0 from Argentina - very nice multimedia distro! Now the first hurdle is to look at the boot screen and press the correct key to boot into English mode!

---------- Post added 12-04-2013 at 21:01 ----------

Just been playing with the latest DVD from Linux Format and PCLinuxOS seems to make a decent KDE desktop! (Even has Team Viewer 7 as well! - well impressed!)

Even has a rotating cube that you would normally associate with Compiz! My only reservations with PCLOS is they ditched their lead dev after he had taken 12 months sabbatical - perhaps he will come up with something like Monsieur Gaël Duval did in respect of Ulteo! There is also a new lightweight distro using Weyland, SalentOS - simple distro but a bit of a steep learning curve which might put some people off in terms of finding your way around.

Edited by swarfendor43

Hi there...can someone let me know which format I need to use to transfer spreadsheets from Ubuntu to a Microsoft Vista pc via a memory stick please? I know for text I use rtf, but I'm not sure about the spreadsheet format? Many thanks guys!

Hey Guys,

I'm pretty tech savvy, built many a machine for others and myself but when it comes to OS I've always been Windows. It's just my preference.

However now I've been clearing bits and pieces of old/spare bits and I've ended up with a full machine of sorts and I want to see if I can make use of it.

Up to now I usually rip the DVDs I buy to my hard-drive (legally) and put the disc away safe from damage but this limits me to watching them on the TV in my bedroom where my PC is situated.

Now I want to use this old system, network it and hook it up to the lounge TV and use something like XBMC to stream the ripped DVDs from my PC/NAS.

I could just bang an old copy of XP on it and stick to what I know but Windows gets a little resource hungry at times and it's not the best of specs on the old system so I'm thinking Linux as the alternative but not knowing owt about it I'm hesitant.

Can you guys recommend me a version and maybe even point me to an installer I can bang on a flash-drive to install it with?

Also if you guys could also point me in the direction of a cheap AGP graphics card with HDMI out so that I can install it in this unit, much obliged.

Oh the machine specs:

AMD Sempron ??? (1.6Ghz)

Asus K8U-X mainboard

2Gb RAM

HDD1 - 80GB IDE

HDD2 - 250GB IDE

Hi there...can someone let me know which format I need to use to transfer spreadsheets from Ubuntu to a Microsoft Vista pc via a memory stick please? I know for text I use rtf, but I'm not sure about the spreadsheet format? Many thanks guys!

I take it you are using 'gnumeric' from 'Gnome Office' - You can export to .xls (Office2002) or save out as CSV (Comma Separated Values).

Why not make life easier for yourself and install LibreOffice4.0 which is more up-to-date and is compatible with .xlsm formats?

---------- Post added 15-04-2013 at 21:28 ----------

Hey Guys,

I'm pretty tech savvy, built many a machine for others and myself but when it comes to OS I've always been Windows. It's just my preference.

However now I've been clearing bits and pieces of old/spare bits and I've ended up with a full machine of sorts and I want to see if I can make use of it.

Up to now I usually rip the DVDs I buy to my hard-drive (legally) and put the disc away safe from damage but this limits me to watching them on the TV in my bedroom where my PC is situated.

Now I want to use this old system, network it and hook it up to the lounge TV and use something like XBMC to stream the ripped DVDs from my PC/NAS.

I could just bang an old copy of XP on it and stick to what I know but Windows gets a little resource hungry at times and it's not the best of specs on the old system so I'm thinking Linux as the alternative but not knowing owt about it I'm hesitant.

Can you guys recommend me a version and maybe even point me to an installer I can bang on a flash-drive to install it with?

Also if you guys could also point me in the direction of a cheap AGP graphics card with HDMI out so that I can install it in this unit, much obliged.

Oh the machine specs:

AMD Sempron ??? (1.6Ghz)

Asus K8U-X mainboard

2Gb RAM

HDD1 - 80GB IDE

HDD2 - 250GB IDE

There is an XBMCbuntu apparently! http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu

And whilst not too much detail, there is an article in this months LXF (Linux Format Magazine) - with PCLinuxOS, IPFire (for standalone firewall PC), Zorin (Lite version for older kit and newer low-specced kit), SalentOS, SMS and Porteus. (LXF170). The issue has HACK the Web across the front. Your Sempron will be older kit - try Zorin Lite and add XBMC to it to see if it works but first I would give XBMCbuntu a spin.

***SNIPPED***

Thanks. I installed it today and I'm having issues. Seems that it doesn't recognise the on-board sound :(

Thanks. I installed it today and I'm having issues. Seems that it doesn't recognise the on-board sound :(

XBMCbuntu?

XBMCbuntu?

Yeah. Mainboard has a ADI A1888 Soundmax on-board. Doesn't matter what I try I just get the "Failed to initialize audio - check audiosettings" error.

Yeah. Mainboard has a ADI A1888 Soundmax on-board. Doesn't matter what I try I just get the "Failed to initialize audio - check audiosettings" error.

Hi Resident, sorry you are having some issues - 'hopefully' (everything crossed!) this will help?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToSetupSoundCards

I've been pretty fortunate with sound (the only exception being when 'JACK' was in use). The current sound system in use on GNU/Linux (most widely used) is Pulse Audio. I assume XBMCbuntu comes with 'Synaptic Package Manager'. Do a search for all things Pulse - in particular paman (Pulse Audio Manager) and see if you get any improvment with regards to the link and paman. Also check that all the codecs are present. http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/download/file.php?id=1226&mode=view

Edited by swarfendor43

Just another thought - I don't know if it is out yet but UE 3.4 Lite looks promising and includes XBMC - and UE is coded by one of the best 'TheeMahn'!

He turns Ubuntu in to what it should be in the first place! Originally called Ultimate Ubuntu - Mr. Shuttleworth did not take too kindly - so it got changed to Ultimate Edition. One of the best distros for getting wireless running out of the box!

---------- Post added 20-04-2013 at 13:00 ----------

OK, UE 3.4 Lite is now available - in both 32-bit and 64-bit - I can hear the comments already - Lite and 2.3 Gb? Well it does have all the Broadcom drivers included so you don't have to be wired to download the restricted drivers.

The 32-bit link is here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ultimateedition/?source=dlp

The 64-bit link is here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ultimateedition/files/ultimate-edition-3.4-lite-x64.iso/download

Unlike other distros that use Lubuntu, both the full UE 3.4 and Lite offer LTS (=5 years) to 2017 (Lubuntu is usually only supported for 18 months before the next release cycle). As TheeMahn says in his blog "Xmas in March?":cool:

Ill have to check that out swarf! Cheers

Just for clarity, that is restricted drivers for wireless (laptops) - nothing to do with sound, but like I stated, TheeMahn usually does a great job of coding!

---------- Post added 20-04-2013 at 17:34 ----------

PC Gamers - Check this out! (warning the video link below contains xxxxplicit words uttered by Linus Torvalds!)

---------- Post added 20-04-2013 at 22:51 ----------

In fact the Nixie Pixel channel is well worth browsing for information and comments on the state of play - including the MS/SJ transformation. (MS in this instance = Mark Shuttleworth!)

http://www.youtube.com/user/nixiedoeslinux?feature=watch

Edited by swarfendor43
explicit vocal content warning!