Should Kids have to earn their pocket money.

The topic has just been on the BBC. I think kids should have to earn their pocket money, either do paper rounds ect, or chores around the house, get into the right mind set, I.E, learn that you only get money when you earn it.

Of course - I worked from age 11 doing paper rounds, then progressed to working behind the counter of the shop...and havent stop working since (not in the same shop though!). If not, how are they supposed to learn the value of money? Nothing more nauseating than spoilt kids that are given everything for nothing....and the parents are even worse..

Two granddaughters live close to us. They have always contributed by tasks around the home. Now the elder is working in McDonalds, earning her money and getting a reputation as a good reliable worker, and also continuing to do well at school.

her sister is still too young.

But I really came in here to go a bit off-topic: Elder girl had a chancve to learn the flute, but there wasn't the money to pay for one. So Dad did extra work at weekends, earned the extra money, and bought her the flute. She cherishes it because her father went to the trouble of doing extra work to buy it.

So she certainly appreciates the value of money, as representing the work you need to do to get it

Yes, my children earn their treats off a point system

They earn 10 stars and they get a treat, that treat is generally something they really want.

They are aged 4 and 6 with my two year old following suit.

I believe it is best to start teaching them at a young age that if you want things in life, it is better to earn it.

I very rarely got any spending money, and never like what my friends took for granted. If I was lucky it was the odd couple of quid here and there with the exception of being given money for a tent at 16 and my mum buying me a £50 pair of boots at 17.

I had a paper round and earned my money helping people with their gardening.

I was expected to do chores etc as a matter of course, and didn't get given any pocket money, it was just part of being in the team in my house.

Yep, my children will definitely earn their pocket money. They'll be doing chores around the house and maybe cleaning their dads car for an extra treat occasionally. I had to do loads to earn my pocket money and I wouldn't treat them like personal slaves like I felt I was growing up but I think the small tasks like emptying the kitchen bin, washing a few dishes, keeping their bedrooms tidy etc is reasonable.

Yes they should.

They should also have a regular 'payday' when they get their cash once a week. This allows them to learn how to budget their money for the week and they soon learn that if they spend it all at once they will be skint for the rest of the week. A good lesson to learn for life really.

Yes they should.

They should also have a regular 'payday' when they get their cash once a week. This allows them to learn how to budget their money for the week and they soon learn that if they spend it all at once they will be skint for the rest of the week. A good lesson to learn for life really.

This is what we do with ours - and as they get older they get the money every two weeks , then monthly - then spends plus lunch money combined ; so they learn budgeting skills.

Mine have a chore chart, one simple thing to do 6 days a week. Of those 6 things half is revision.

If the chores and revision are done they get £2.50 paid into their bank accounts every Friday and £2.50 cash. The idea is that they save the £2.50 each week so that they can afford more expensive items and teaches them to put money away.

My daughter has Ice skating lessons which can get pretty pricey so for all the extras she wants, own boots, skate jacket, dress etc, I'm making her save her spending money and pay half towards each item.

Children have to learn about money from an early age I think and having a bank account in which they can save is a good thing too.

I give my sons pocket money without any corresponding work duties;having small amounts of PM has helped them to budget.We base it on the generous child benefits we receive.

But what about teaching them to do chores just to help you out ,being part of a family not because they feel they have to for spending money .Until a child can do proper work what is wrong with giving them a little money ,which they have to use for their expenses and make last .I think forcing children to do tasks so young can breed resentment . It's much better if they want to help wash the pots because they want to help Mom or dad out .I did this with my 3 sons and even though I say so myself they have grown into very thoughtful men and before anyone says anything we didn't have much money so they were not spoilt brats.

I was working on the market at 11. I can't remember doing any work to earn pocket money before then but I might have helped around the house, popped to the shop for milk etc.