End of the line ..

Despite a further attempt by my surgeon to install a paddle lead into my spine earlier this year, there is so much scar tissue that he deemed it far too dangerous to touch and just sewed me up.

After seeing my Pain Consultant, my hopes were raised when he told me of a new operation called a Dorsal Ganglion Stimulator .... unfortunately .. when I saw my surgeon he said as it is so new and they don't know for sure what if any, side effects they are ... and it's a no.

Today I received an official letter from the Hallamshire Pain Clinic saying there was nothing else more they can do for me.

So I guess it's medication for the rest of my life and no chance of coming off the morphine, which is what I wanted.

Signing out ...

As you know I've followed you on facebook, I have been willing you on all the way and I'm sorry there's nothing they can do for you. I'm in the same position, facing a life of medication and eventually patches, through to morphine etc. I try not to get me down, and carry on as much as possiblle normally, but I know it affects you far worse than it does me.

You know where I am if you ever want a chat :)

x

A life on pain medication is in some instances not really life at all, or at least it feels like that when you're trying to wake up but it's like trying to swim through treacle.

It is, however, much better than having a life in unbearable pain and no painkillers.

It's a small mercy, but it's a mercy.

You have my sympathies Saffy. I so wanted your optimism and determination to pay off and for the end result to be reduced pain and better functionality.

I've been on my pain meds for 15 years now. The good thing is that some of the worst side effects get less dreadful over time, like the constipation and the nystagmus, but I still fall asleep every time I stop concentrating on doing something (and sometimes even when I AM concentrating on it!) and I choose to be pain reduced rather than pain free because I can't function at all when I take enough pills to genuinely kill the pain.

I hope that you find a way forwards that reduces the side effects of the medication too :)

Wow, I am not sure that is quite the right word but my goodness these three posts resonated through me.

I have a cage in my neck which prevents further damage occurring but does nothing to stop the neural pain in my head arms fingers or the twitching that starts happening when the meds start to wear off.

I have further damage to my lower spine I was admitted as an emergency to the Hallamshire last summer when my gait deteriorated rapidly and not to put too finer point on it I was becoming incontinent. An operation was the thing they said but they had to wait for one of the two surgeons that would operate to return from holiday. I was sent home with large doses of morphine. I was admitted again two days later having hallucinations. I really was completely out of it convinced that I was in the South of France at one stage.

The second surgeon returned and following more scans decided not to operate.

Last year and this has just been one awful roller-coaster. Medusa I know just how you feel about the way your life is, mine is much the same and not only can I not concentrate my memory is completely shot.

Add to this wonderful mixture two arthritic knees awaiting a decision as to whether I am to get new ones I don't know which way is up. Five years ago I could garden walk miles and live life now I function and on some days I struggle to do even that.

Like you Medusa I take medication enough to reduce the pain because I would be floored completely if I took enough to kill it.

I hope that you find ways through it all or at the very least coping mechanisms. I am not in here very often but please feel free to PM me if you think that there is anything that I can do to help.:)

Thank you both. I do take turmeric supplements and have a fair amount of fresh turmeric in my diet.

Thank you for all your kinds words. I think seeing it in black and white on letter headed paper brought it to reality.

I'm going to do as much as I can for as long as I can .. And one aim is to make one person smile every day. If I can do that then my life is surely worth something.

Keep on smiling and once more, thank you for all the support .. For those lingering in the background, but reading my story.

Xx

I'm going to do as much as I can for as long as I can .. And one aim is to make one person smile every day. If I can do that then my life is surely worth something.

Xx

Think that is lovely :) I work in a job where a few encouraging words can mean a lot to someone, easy to forget, but it can make someones day or build their confidence :)

I think a positive outlook to life will always hold you in good stead even if it is not the life expected. x