Murder 6 children - Get 15 Years BUT Copper steals £1m - Gets 23 Years

They wont let him out.

Reminds of the train gaurd that failed to do his job properly, and a drunken teenager was killed. He got 5 years. You would think that the sentence should be much higher for being responsible for the death of six children.

The parole board are all about change and remorse. If he can convince them he is sorry, and that it was a mistake that he will have to live with forever, then yes he will be released.

Do you actually believe this? In 15 years he will have the right to go before the parole board. He will play the game, act sorry and go free. But as far as someone of us are concerned, sorry is never enough.

Do you know how many prisoners remain incarcerated having served the minimum tariff of their sentence? A minority of offenders are released on serving the minimum sentence and some serve many years past it with little prospect of release, I would have thought someone like Philpott would find it difficult to convince the Parole Board he's suitable for release given the nature of the offence, his character and antecedence.

This from the ministry of justice:

"A total of 3,538 (60 per cent) IPP prisoners had passed their tariff expiry date.2

http://www.justice.gov.uk/statistics/prisons-and-probation/oms-quarterly

Edited by boyfriday

No, that's exactly the problem, and the OP's point is exactly this. We can compare two different crimes when each sentence doesn't reflect the crime, we need a fair justice system.

Lets forget the coppers case then.

Is life with a minum of 15 years a fair sentence in your eyes? Dont tell ne no, but thats the courts choice. What do you believe?

Its not physically possible to compare every sentence,that was my point(how many sentences were passed this week alone?)

And I would give him the maximum that I could.Don't go thinking im a soft touch,its the making comparisons that I have a problem with.

---------- Post added 04-04-2013 at 21:25 ----------

I've known someone who got a suspended sentence for manslaughter, I've known someone who got four years and I've known someone who got life.

There are different grades of severity for manslaughter.

life without parole?

Edited by BLADE8T1

The parole board are all about change and remorse. If he can convince them he is sorry, and that it was a mistake that he will have to live with forever, then yes he will be released.

That's a slightly flawed view of how Parole Board reviews work, they're a dedicated bunch of legal professionals, probation and independent members. They also take evidence from psychiatrists and the prison records/officers who were responsible for the offenders supervision during his incarceration. Arriving at review board with a road to Damascus demeanour won't convince them of anything unless there's evidence to back it up.

If he can convince them he is sorry, and that it was a mistake that he will have to live with forever, then yes he will be released.

I did watch the news on channel 4, but how much of a mistake was the childrens death, do we know?

If he started the fire and was at that location, did he even attempt to go in the house?

That's a slightly flawed view of how Parole Board reviews work, they're a dedicated bunch of legal professionals, probation and independent members. They also take evidence from psychiatrists and the prison records/officers who were responsible for the offenders supervision during his incarceration. Arriving at review board with a road to Damascus demeanour won't convince them of anything unless there's evidence to back it up.

Same professionals that let venables out, maxine carr out. Oh ye i know them. We all know in britain life does not mean life. The bunch you are talking about are a bunch of do gooders. 15 years. 15. Thats long enough to convince someone you are sorry. Its the parole boards job to let prisoners out who they think have reformed. If someone comes in front of the parole board and shows all the signs of being reformed and gets all the good reports, and the parole board think, hmm yes hes reformed, then they will give you that chance. They dont think, hmm ye hes changed, hes shown remorse, he been a model prisoner, he deserves a chance, but then turn you down.

What im saying is if he plays the game, he WILL be released. Obviously if he shows no sign of remorse or regret or reform then course not.

The scummer from Derby didn't go down for murder.

the definition of Murder is if he intended to kill the children. That was never the case and their deaths was as a result of his actions, but he didn't mean to kill them, which in British law means Man-Slaughter. The conviction is correct.

I wish he got longer, but the judged gave him the longest sentence she could.

---------- Post added 04-04-2013 at 21:43 ----------

One of the country's longest serving prisoners was sentenced to life for manslaughter in the 60's and to my knowledge he was still in prison a few years ago.

If you are talking about Broson, the sentence he is serving is because he keeps committing crimes on the inside and so his sentence is increased, plus he has not shown he is no longer a danger to the public.

in-fact I think his first offence was armed robbery.

Do you actually believe this? In 15 years he will have the right to go before the parole board. He will play the game, act sorry and go free. But as far as someone of us are concerned, sorry is never enough.

But I think the members of he parole board will be savvy enough to realise this.

But what if hes genuine? Does he deserved to be freed then.

Same professionals that let venables out, maxine carr out. Oh ye i know them. We all know in britain life does not mean life. The bunch you are talking about are a bunch of do gooders. 15 years. 15. Thats long enough to convince someone you are sorry. Its the parole boards job to let prisoners out who they think have reformed. If someone comes in front of the parole board and shows all the signs of being reformed and gets all the good reports, and the parole board think, hmm yes hes reformed, then they will give you that chance. They dont think, hmm ye hes changed, hes shown remorse, he been a model prisoner, he deserves a chance, but then turn you down.

What im saying is if he plays the game, he WILL be released. Obviously if he shows no sign of remorse or regret or reform then course not.

Rubbish examples again,none of the above received life sentences (apart from Huntley)

Bulger case was tricky due to ages,and Maxine got something like perverting the course of justice (or something like that).

These all bare no relevance to Phillpotts case.

Ok I'll start off by saying I've not really followed the ins and out of the Mark Philpott case.

Would I be right in thinking he has been convicted of manslaughter because he set the house of fire but his intension was never to kill those kids.

Can someone answer me this, did Mark Philpott know that those kids where in the house at the time when he set it on fire.

But what if hes genuine? Does he deserved to be freed then.

Deserve in your eyes?or deserve by the law of the land?

You know the answer to both anyways.

---------- Post added 04-04-2013 at 22:05 ----------

Ok I'll start off by saying I've not really followed the ins and out of the Mark Philpott case.

Would I be right in thinking he has been convicted of manslaughter because he set the house of fire but his intension was never to kill those kids.

Can someone answer me this, did Mark Philpott know that those kids where in the house at the time when he set it on fire.

I think his intention was to blame the other missus,and become a hero.But someone forgot to tell him just how flammable petrol is.

The police got a lot of this from hidden microphones in the hotel.