Male Patterdale training problems!

Hi everyone, I used to post on here all the time but haven't been on in sometime, i'm literally at the end of my tether. I was given a Male Patterdale ?Terrier in October when he was 11 months he's had no behaviour training or anything.. His toilet training is ok, but he just does not listen, he was neglected not by the person i got him off but the people he was with before so im his 3rd owner at 11 months.

My problem is i've tried teaching him No, not shouting at him just been stern in my voice he just does not listen at all, I have a 7 year old yorkshire terrier (Megan) who he torments the life out of. He's started getting nasty when the postman comes hasn't gone for me but did the nasty growl. I have a 4 year old daughter and don't want to put her at risk i just don't know what to do. Any help/advice would be gratefully received. Im fearing I may have to rehome him somewhere he is an only dog. :confused::(

I had a male patterdale for 10 years and he was the same and as he got older, he didn't like other dogs, men, men with hats on, the postman, cats! the list goes on lol but we had him on his own so it wasn't so bad. Thing with patterdales is they're from a working breed and need loads of exercise. I think if you're having these issues with him and feel as though you can't cope, you should pop him up for adoption/rehoming. There will be someone out there for him x

He already doesn't like men he doesnt go for them but hes petrified until he knows they wont hurt him, he hates postman and just torments Meg, I've heard alot of things about Patterdales and the thing that keeps been repeated is that they're better as an only dog. I just don't know what else i can do, he is such a loving dog just these issues are to major for me to just let him be i just don't want him getting worse or start becoming nasty! I'll see what other advice there is but looks like rehoming is the option sadly. thankyou

Updated posting

Edited by billicasper

I wont be getting another dog I have Megan and when i've rehomed Rocky I wont get another it will be like replacing him and I just cant do that!

He is brilliant with my little girl but just don't want to risk him getting aggressive it's just not fair on him or us, gosh I cold cry he's just laid down at the moment which he does most of the day although he has a massive run outside hmm maybe rehoming him is not only the best thing for us but more importantly for him. I'm petrified he'll get in the wrong hands he makes a loving pet he just needs to be an only dog i think. P.s noticed Rocky nips nose to show affection.

---------- Post added 04-04-2013 at 13:33 ----------

Anyone else have advice, i'm absolutely terrified of him getting into the wrong hands and been used as bait or something I wont take him to a rescue as ive seen how full and stretched they are. sorry that i'm rambling i'm just upset he's the most loving dog but needs one on one where there is no other dogs. :(

Please don't be upset. You are doing what you think is best for him and if that means finding him a better place to live where he will be comfortable and his personality understood then you will have treated him better than his former owners.

Just don't rush him in to the first available offer of a new home and double check who inquires about him.

I know i shouldn't get upset but I have never owned a dog and then just rehomed them to me they're pets for life but he just needs so much more than i am able to give to him he could do with been on a farm or somewhere his owner has a massive bit of land for him to run riot, he'd run around from morning till night if he could. I've reluctantly done a rehoming thread so hopefully get a response. And dont worry he wont be going to just anybody thats my big fear.

It's a long shot but you could try Moorwood Equine. They're a riding and livery stables at Stannington that also sells horse feed etc (which is how I know them) They recently took on a very ill-mannered female terrier because her owner couldn't cope/keep her. In a couple of months her behaviour has transformed and she spends her life glued to the old guys side.

They're real animal lovers and it could be an ideal setting for you little fella (though he wouldn't be an only dog). Long shot, but thought I'd mention it.

Good luck with rehoming him.

Don't feel too bad about this tezza- you were given a dog that you didn't choose and whose behaviour would not be predicted to be suitable for your home life, so how is it a failure if his behaviour turns out to be as it WOULD be predicted as soon as you know his breed?

Patterdales are not easy dogs and are at the more extreme end of terrier behaviour. They're often super high energy and need to be trained, challenged and exercised to be happy dogs when they're at rest. On top of that yours probably has other issues from the disruption to training and his trust that come from being rehomed.

I home check for several rescues and when I get a home check for quite a few breeds I discuss very carefully first with the rescue and then with the prospective home that they really are ready for the sort of behaviour that the dog may well bring with them. Patterdales are on that list because they can be a serious challenge, especially if you aren't expecting the extreme end of terrierish terrier.

If you have to rehome him then you have to rehome him, and if you have to rehome him then the sooner you do it the better, because he's easier to rehome while he's young and pretty and he's got longer to get used to his new home.

I think as much as i love him and he's part of the family he's obviously not getting the stimulation he needs have no i need to rehome him! would any rescues maybe help with a homecheck or such? I don't want him to go to just anyone and I just have no clue as to what to ask and look for and want a loving home for him. hes 16 months old.

I adopted a 5 year old male patterdale 6 months ago, He was totally uncontrollable, pulled on the lead, ran off at any chance,would not eat dog food and was completely disobedient.

I had him castrated and it seems to have slowed him down a little, I have got him trained to the lead, love praise and treats when he behaves has worked wonders.

My advise it to try and stick with him, patience does work.

patterdales are a breed that need to work, they are not bred to be pets they need to be controlling vermin.