What about Kelham Island area?

Unless there's another new development in that area I think you are talking about this.

http://www.derwent.org.uk/home_ownership/South_Yorkshire/Kelham_Mills/

I've also seen this on Haybrooks which I think is the same place

http://www.vebra.com/home/search/vdetails.asp?src=vebra&fd=0&bd=1&db=1&cl=2160&pid=11459883

It's on Adelaide Lane and when I looked into them they only had 2 bed apartments left which cost you a 50% mortgage of £67,000. If you contact them they'll send you all the details of other costs like the rent cost and service charge.

It's about 5-10 minutes walk from the city centre and in a mainly industrial area but I suspect that most of that land will be sold off to developers for other apartment buildings.

Hope that helps.

Hi Eddie, I've moved here from crookes about 18 months ago and i'm very pleased with my flat. Nice and quiet, by the river, and i expect they should be a good investment (mine's risen in value about 12k since i bought it) - they're basically taking a bulldozer through the whole area.

There's a forum for residents of these and the flats opposite across the river here http://brooklynandcornish.myfastforum.org/

You can see the councils plans for the area here http://sccplugins.sheffield.gov.uk/urban_design/pdf/part_4.6%20.pdf

Happy house hunting!

Tom

Thinking of buying an appartment there off plan - seems quite run down just now though - do people reckon it will develop or always be like that?

The area will continue to improve as it has already done in the last few years. My only concern is what happens in 10 years when everyone is sick of these flats that don't look new any more and it might end up like another park hill. (along with the Devonshire quater)

Hope not though.

:)

Kelham Island is a lovely place to live

Kelham Island had (and still has to an extent) a special feel to it, a sense of being somewhere different, a sense of history, and a sense of uniqueness in Sheffield. For a while there was the possibility that something really special could have happened at Kelham Island, that it would become a varied, creative, busy neighbourhood, would become somewhere that offered a lot. Some of the ugly derelict buildings could have been cleared to create a market square offering something different to what is available in the rest of Sheffield, surrounded by bars, cafes, restaurants, small music venues. Somewhere things could happen.

But predictably it is becoming a bland mass of uninspiring yuppie flats (sorry, apartments); quiet, dead, limp, lifeless.

Boring.

I can see your point but it didn't seem that way yesterday afternoon when I was sitting in the Fat Cat Pub with its lovely beer garden and proper Sheffield people. Similarly in the Museum cafe if you have ever tried it. There will always be the odd little gem to find down here. Time will tell I suppose. You're right about the live music venue being needed - at one stage there was talk of a launch party being held on the streets with local bands etc. which hopefully may still come off one day. There will as you say be a concrete jungle but hopefully there will still be a nucleus of tradition which it is based around.

nb. Sweeney Todd is on at the Kelham Island Museum 30th May to 2nd June, £10 per person or £13 with pea & pie supper. Should be a good production as the company perform at the Lyceum each year.

Hi, me and my partner are thinking of buying an offplan apartment in this area of Sheffield. Does anyone know anything about the area and whether it will be good place to buy in?

It's a bit industrial but nice enough.

But why would you consider buying an apartment and off plan with the market like it is.

If you prefer you could just pile money up and set it on fire.

I think it's turning into medium rise city living isn't it? There'll be just the Fat Cat sat in the middle of loads of brick, steel and glass appartments soon I guess.

Evening all,

First post here - be gentle ;)

Ok - after 10 happy years living in Crookes, I moved back to my home town of Leeds last year, as for 2 years I had been working in the town and doing the monstrous commute up/down the M1 every day.

Now, a change of career brings me back to Sheffield, and myself and my girlfriend are looking to buy a property, but preferably somewhere other than Crookes. Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful place, but moving back now might feel like a retrograde step given that we don't want to live in the same part of town forever. Looking elsewhere we've been drawn to Kelham Island and in particular to Cornish Place. We're keen on large living space and it would seem that flats give the best return £ for £ in this regard. Having little experience of Kelham Island other than driving past it on the way out to the M1, I wondered what the collective wisdom on the forum was on the following:

1) What Kelham Island is like to live in? I'm used to being able to pop out and pick up a pint of milk/beer on my doorstep. I know the pubs in the vicinity, but what's the day to day living like there if you don't want to get in the car every time you want something.

2) My girlfriend is concerned about crime. We used to work at Norwich Union (when students in the city in the late 90s) on Trippet Lane, and remember vividly the girls + pimps on the streets from 16:00 onwards. I have a high tolerance to this kind of thing, but wondered what others (particularly women) thought about this and the fact that there are a lot of derelict buildings in the Kelham Island area.

3) I know city centre flats are on the skids at the moment, but what do people think of the more sympathetic conversions of older buildings (such as Cornish Place) - do you think these will go down the pan, or will their charm save them from some of the probs associated with the bigger new build developments. Also, with new works stalling because of the credit crunch, what will the immediate future hold for Kelham Island? I wonder how much more regeneration will take place, and whether this will be a push factor making residents want to leave over time....

4) What's the quickest way to walk into town from Cornish Place? Would rather not repeatedly pay for a tram from Shalesmoor every time I want to go out. I'd normally drive up Furnace Hill and down Mappin St if approaching in the car. Not sure I'd want my girlfriend walking up the bottom of Furnace Hill on a dark night though....

Think that's all for now!

P

it's good as a floodplain when it rains and I think you'll find the hookers have moved down there and Neepsend...still fancy living there? :hihi:

Evening all,

First post here - be gentle ;)

Ok - after 10 happy years living in Crookes, I moved back to my home town of Leeds last year, as for 2 years I had been working in the town and doing the monstrous commute up/down the M1 every day.

Now, a change of career brings me back to Sheffield, and myself and my girlfriend are looking to buy a property, but preferably somewhere other than Crookes. Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful place, but moving back now might feel like a retrograde step given that we don't want to live in the same part of town forever. Looking elsewhere we've been drawn to Kelham Island and in particular to Cornish Place. We're keen on large living space and it would seem that flats give the best return £ for £ in this regard. Having little experience of Kelham Island other than driving past it on the way out to the M1, I wondered what the collective wisdom on the forum was on the following:

1) What Kelham Island is like to live in? I'm used to being able to pop out and pick up a pint of milk/beer on my doorstep. I know the pubs in the vicinity, but what's the day to day living like there if you don't want to get in the car every time you want something.

2) My girlfriend is concerned about crime. We used to work at Norwich Union (when students in the city in the late 90s) on Trippet Lane, and remember vividly the girls + pimps on the streets from 16:00 onwards. I have a high tolerance to this kind of thing, but wondered what others (particularly women) thought about this and the fact that there are a lot of derelict buildings in the Kelham Island area.

3) I know city centre flats are on the skids at the moment, but what do people think of the more sympathetic conversions of older buildings (such as Cornish Place) - do you think these will go down the pan, or will their charm save them from some of the probs associated with the bigger new build developments. Also, with new works stalling because of the credit crunch, what will the immediate future hold for Kelham Island? I wonder how much more regeneration will take place, and whether this will be a push factor making residents want to leave over time....

4) What's the quickest way to walk into town from Cornish Place? Would rather not repeatedly pay for a tram from Shalesmoor every time I want to go out. I'd normally drive up Furnace Hill and down Mappin St if approaching in the car. Not sure I'd want my girlfriend walking up the bottom of Furnace Hill on a dark night though....

Think that's all for now!

P