What about Kelham Island area?

'Riverside' is nice but due to the recession I think about 50% of the building is vacant and has been since 2008 when it was completed (although someone may correct me on that stat) so it's a bit of a 'ghost town' and the nicest apartments overlooking the river face North so never get any sunshine.

Hello all!

I am excited to read about the plans for further development of the Kelham Island area in the Telegrah today. Apparently eco-friendly state of the art housing is being planned by a company that has already had success with such developments in Leeds(http://www.greenhouseleeds.co.uk/).

I have always liked this old industrial area of the city and have felt it is ripe for further development. I hope this will be a catalyst to transform the area into a vibrant hub with new businesses, restaurants, cafes, art galleries, etc whilst retaining its industrial charm.

Like most plans in Sheffield, I hope they actually happen and come to fruition in the near future!

What do others think? :)

I havn't seen the plans, but that area of town has improved vastly over the last few years, go there for an afternoon/night out most weeks.

Yes it would be great for that area if the plans came to fruition.

I live in the Rialto building of the Riverside development. I bought in September 2010 and did a deal so got a good price as there were quite a few available at the time - I think I have already made money on it so am happy with that! The sales office has been quite busy recently and the estate agent told me there are only 12 flats left to buy.

I really like it here, it's lovely in the summer and it's much more peaceful than the city centre. There is a unite student block but they don't cause too much of a problem - the only problem I have ever complained about is littering but they seem to be quite good at responding to complaints.

I'm a single woman and have never felt unsafe. Quite a few people on the forum have mentioned prostitutes in the area but I have never noticed them, although I suppose I probably don't wonder round too much late at night. The pubs are great and it's really nice being near the water. Also 'the grind' cafe opened up on Green Lane a little while ago and the Museum has just opened a bistro.

I didn't have any problems getting contents insurance and the management agency sort out buildings insurance. Car insurance is a bit of a nightmare though, although I guess it's pretty expensive everywhere these days! There has been a lot of work on the flood defences, and the recent rain - despite raising the river level massively - didn't cause any problems.

Hope this helps.

Hi All

I am from Citu. In answer to your, yes this development at Kelham will go ahead. We are due to start the ground works in the next few weeks. We are converting the exisitng corner house on Green Lane to our marketing centre and should be ready to start selling the houses in April. We are working on the final designs. Let me know if you have any questions.

Aisling

What are people's views on renting a 2-bedroom flat in Kelham Island? We are a young couple (a postgraduate student at Sheffield University and a junior doctor who will be at various hospitals over the next two years) with one car between us.

Value? Safety? Convenience? Public transportation?

Thanks!

Edited by EthelMM

I have a friend who lives down there and has no problems. Great pubs too, I go down myself a lot as I only live couple of miles and everyone seems friendly enough.

we used to live at cornish place, it was lovely - quiet, clean, great neighbours and great views on to the river. good access to the tram and cheap in a taxi to town. nice pubs and coffee shops near by.

we have moved to hillsborough in to a house and i really dislike the area. id live in kelham island again without hesitation.

Thanks for the thumbs up, Stuart and Daisy! Great pubs sounds good to me. As does clean and safe.

hello to all,

i am thinking to invest in kelham island.

i saw a little flat in mowbray street 33.its a new block with 30 flats.its name is "union forge".

so i would like to learn first of all if it is in the area of kelham island.

also i ve read some threads in this forum about kelham but they were all too old.since 2008 and 2009.

they were all saying that the area is going to boost and things like this.

whats your opinion?

is it still the area of the red lights?

thank you very much.

stathis!!

I don't know what you would class as safe but I wouldn't want my girlfriend walking around that area at night.