Barratts Gateways HANDSWORTH

Hi Everyone.

Myself and Partner have been to look around the Gateways new development in Handsworth which has been done by Barratt homes. It is near to the end of the development with only 9 homes left to build.

We are strongly thinking about buying one. However, looking on the internet, all we have found is negative review upon negative review. We were wondering if there are any people that live on that site currently that would share their experiences with us.

Its so hard because most people who leave a review do it because they are unhappy and so therefore it tends to be a very biased view.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

You could keep popping up and having a drive around at different times, might help to give an idea on what the area is like.

Handsworth in general is pretty decent, got quite a few friends who live around there and are happy enough. I'm sure some people on here that up at Whirlow and Dore will tell you it's a horrible place and don't live there lol.

I have family who live on the estate and its a nice place to live, the only issue is that it is a bit tight. This is pretty standard with new builds these days, they dont give you driveways anymore.

If you could afford it and want to live in the area then go for it. Its a very good location, very well connected.

Barratt Homes, they're an absolute pile of dog mess. Make sure you snag the hell out of it before completion. Also, be prepared to be underwhelmed. The quality if workmanship on the surrounding landscaping and roads is poor.

However.......I'm pleasantly surprised at Handsworth as an area. It's a seemingly quiet and friendly area, I've not encountered any issues or no more than any other area.

I repeat my first paragraph. The houses look great from a distance but get close up and you'll begin to notice the bodge jobs, poor finish and general lack of pride in a job. I've come across more issues in a new Barratt home than I ever did in a 100 year old terrace.

I have done some work on that estate, ripped out a bathroom before the grout had time to dry as it was quite bad and leaking. You should not have to replace a bathroom in that kind of timescale.

I must say, I am yet to see a new build house that has a good standard of workmanship. I am constantly amazed by the poor materials and standards in new build properties.

I worked on site once and never again, they wanted everything doing twice as quick for half the price. I ended up walking off the job with no money as I couldn't stand working at the standards they set and the constant changing of specs etc.. Often on site, you may have to fit more than one bathroom a day and move on to the next, not a ideal situation if you want quality. I am currently on another new build, having to replace and strengthen the floor as it had failed under the W.C. and cracked all the floor tiles!

My recommendation would be buy an established house that has majority brick or breeze block internal walls and 15mm copper piping throughout, non of this microbore business. I would even take a tradesman with you to see the things you wouldn't.

Finally, I wouldn't have a newbuild house at half the price.

I live on that estate and it's a really nice quiet estate apart from during the day when they're building. We have had a quite a few snags with our home but they do come and sort it out for you as part of the 5 year warrantly when you buy a barratts home. It does take a while sometimes so you might have to do some chasing up with them.

Apart from all of that my road is nice and we've got good neighbours.

It's a lovely estate to live on, we have great neighbours and it's quiet now most of the building work is done.

As with any new house you need to make sure you get all the snagging done and keep getting the workmen back until you're happy.

We like our house :)

It's all well and good getting a five year warranty but they're not exactly going to rebuild the house for you and after the initial 5 years you're still left with a cheaply made house.

Although I've no specific experience of Barratt, I've seen a fair few new builds and they all seem to share the same problems. Cheap bathrooms, kitchens and fittings and worst of all paper thin internal walls

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I have two daughters both own their own flats on the estate and it's a nice little estate, it's quieter now the building is starting to come to an end. I was quite surprised by the size of the flats, sure they have had them out to do some snagging work and more than likely they will want to change appliances etc at some point as they are not top of they range but for someone just starting out the flats and estate is great. I was also under the impression every property on there had at least one allocated parking space or garage.

Some of the houses have a driveway and a garage close to the house, others have a garage some way removed from the house. The room proportions are not bad at all. The sound proofing between houses is poor - you can hear people in adjoining properties closing doors, running taps and walking up stairs normally. The ongoing building caused a lot of dust. Some of the roads need extra work. Appliances and standard flooring in the kitchen are low quality - floor replaced in no time. Barratt don't do "snagging", they don't allow it, but things that need doing will get addressed after moving in. There is a Service Charge. People end up parking on the street, even they they have car parking, and it makes the road really thin. Kitchen in a four bed house is very small. Barratt Customer Service is actually not bad. Location is convenient for many things.

I have done some work on that estate, ripped out a bathroom before the grout had time to dry as it was quite bad and leaking. You should not have to replace a bathroom in that kind of timescale.

I must say, I am yet to see a new build house that has a good standard of workmanship. I am constantly amazed by the poor materials and standards in new build properties.

I worked on site once and never again, they wanted everything doing twice as quick for half the price. I ended up walking off the job with no money as I couldn't stand working at the standards they set and the constant changing of specs etc.. Often on site, you may have to fit more than one bathroom a day and move on to the next, not a ideal situation if you want quality. I am currently on another new build, having to replace and strengthen the floor as it had failed under the W.C. and cracked all the floor tiles!

My recommendation would be buy an established house that has majority brick or breeze block internal walls and 15mm copper piping throughout, non of this microbore business. I would even take a tradesman with you to see the things you wouldn't.

Finally, I wouldn't have a newbuild house at half the price.

Fully agree with the above statement. I am not a home owner yet, but i hear some of the same comments from people moving out of some new houses; seemingly wafer thin walls... no 'partitions' more like, hearing neighbours 'sneeze', 'toy town' pretend houses:rolleyes:. I just think how so, the sign of the times... i expect a good, solid new house (do they exist) would be too expensive for most.

I am told that houses built in Sheffield during the 1930's are generally good and solid.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Now its just to decided whether or not to go ahead.

What does everyone mean by 'snagging'?