E-cigs/E-cigarettes: MegaThread Discussion

i no of 3 people who these have burnt there mouths really bad inside there mouths also gave them really bad stomache pains

Tell them to stop trying to light them and not to drink the liquid ciders better:hih

PG has been used as the aqueous-based chemical additive in asthma inhalers and nebulizers since the 1950s, with no serious side effects known.

Also people need to use common sense if you notice any side effects don't keep vaping! Also keep your e-cig clean and make sure that the mouthpiece is correctly fitted and that you store it mouth piece down! This allows the liquid that's condensed in the mouth piece to drain away and not pool in the bottom! Liquids should be bought from trusted responsible suppliers like myself! All liquids should be used within 2 weeks of opening so only buy bottles that you will use in 2 weeks! Change cartomisers every 2-3 weeks and clean them daily! Any liquid that you spill onto skin should be washed off immediately as nicotine is rapidly absorbed by skin (most rub it in then vape straightaway - hello nicotine overdose) keep away from pets and children! And most importantly drop your dose ever 2 months!! These are not fag replacements they are a stop smoking aid!!!!!!

... and so it begins:

http://www.france24.com/en/20130826-electronic-cigarettes-carcinogenic-french-report

Electronic cigarettes are “not as harmless” as manufacturers make them out to be and can “contain potentially carcinogenic elements”, a study by a French consumer magazine revealed on Monday.

E-cigarettes are more dangerous than thought and can cause cancer, the September edition of a French magazine has claimed.

“Electronic cigarettes are far from the harmless gadgets they’re sold as by manufacturers,” wrote monthly magazine “60 Million Consumers” following a study of some 10 reusable and disposable e-cigarette models.

“It’s not a reason to ban them, but to better control them,” said Thomas Laurenceau, chief editor of the magazine, which reports the findings of France’s national consumers' institute (INC).

The INC has relayed its findings to the authorities, Laurenceau told AFP.

Laurenceau also criticised certain models for lacking safety caps because, he noted, the nicotine levels contained in the liquid content of electronic cigarettes could be lethal to children.

The study claims to have employed an innovative method in detecting “a significant quantity of carcinogenic molecules” in the vapour of the cigarettes which, according to Laurenceau, have thus far gone undetected.

“In three models out of ten, the levels of [carcinogenic compound] formaldehyde come close to those of a conventional cigarette,” he said.

The highly toxic molecule acrolein was also detected in the vapours of e-cigarettes, “sometimes at levels even higher than in traditional cigarettes,” Laurenceau said.

One million people use e-cigarettes in France, where smoking has been banned in public places since 2007.

In May 2013, French Health Minister Marisol Touraine announced that the ban on smoking in public places would now be extended to cover electronic cigarettes.

Some 73,000 people die from smoking-related illnesses in France each year.

Unlike other European countries, the number of smokers has remained constant in the country despite price hikes on tobacco products and health-awareness campaigns.

Safety caps - Agree. Are needed. Cigarettes can be lethal when injested because of the nicotine content so yes.

Formaldehyde & acrolein - : Please note Formaldehyde is always present in exhalaling air : The study of 3 in 10 failed to say which ones, which is awesome science really.... Luckily, there has been other research (See quote below)

Dr. Mike and those suspecting PG in the formation of formaldehyde appear to be wrong. The particular study mentioned here does not specify the specific makeup (or PG versus glycerin content) of the liquids studied.

BUT, many of the same authors are presenting a paper at the SRNT meeting in Boston this week that DOES. And from the following it is pretty clear that indeed it is glycerin, and not PG, that is associated with formaldhyde (and acrolein) being found in vapor:

SUBSTANTIAL REDUCTION IN EMISSION OF SELECTED CARBONYLS

AND VOLATILE ORGANIC COMPOUNDS FROM ELECTRONIC CIGARETTES

COMPARED TO TOBACCO CIGARETTES

Andrzej Sobczak, Ph.D.*1,2, Leon Kosmider1,2, Maciej L. Goniewicz, Ph.D.3,4, Jakub

Knysak2, Marzena Zaciera, Ph.D.5, and Jolanta Kurek5, 1Institute of Occupational

Medicine and Environmental Health, Sosnowiec, Poland; 2Medical University

of Silesia, Katowice, Poland;3Queen Mary University of London, UK; 4Roswell

Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, USA; 5Institute of Occupational Medicine and

Environmental Health, Sosnowiec, Poland

Significance: Electronic cigarettes (ECs) are purported to deliver nicotine vapor

without any toxic substances generated from tobacco combustion. However, using

ECs involves heating a nicotine solution to high temperatures. This may induce

chemical reactions which result in the possible formation of carbonyl compounds

(CCs) and volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Many CCs and VOCs are common

tobacco-specific toxicants with proven carcinogenic and cardiotoxic properties. Aim

of the study:The aim of the study was to quantify and compare the levels of selected

CCs (formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, acrolein, acetone, propanal, butanal) and VOCs

(benzene, toluene, etylobenzene and ortho-, meta-, para-xylene) in EC nicotine

refill solutions, vapors generated from ECs,and mainstream smoke from tobacco

cigarettes. Methods: Six commercially available nicotine refill solutions for ECs

(Chic Group Ltd. Poland) were examined. Three solutions contained a mixture of

propylene glycol and glycerin (Volish brand) as a solvent for nicotine, while the

other three contained only propylene glycol (Mild brand). Thirtypuffs were taken

using an automatic smoking machine. Mainstream smoke was generated from

a3R4F reference tobacco cigarette. CCs were extracted from vapor and smoke to

solid phase with 2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazine, and analyzed using HPLC/DAD. VOCs

were absorbed on activated carbon and analyzed with GC/MS. Results:Traces of

acetaldehyde were detected in all examined EC solutions(0.081±0.042 μg/mL).

Acetaldehyde was found in all EC vapors (0.153±0.116 μg/30 puffs), but at levels

more than a thousand-fold lower than in tobacco smoke. Formaldehyde and acrolein

were only found in vapors generated from glycerin-based solutions (0.116±0.022

and0.110±0.190μg/30 puffs) and in tobacco smoke (12 and 32-fold higher levels,

respectively). None of the examined VOCs were detected in the vapors, while all

were found in tobacco smoke. Conclusions: In contrast to tobacco smoke, the

vapors generated from ECs does not contain VOCs. Exposure to CCs from ECs is

significantly reduced compared to tobacco smoke and may be attributable to the

glycerin content in the nicotine refill solution.

Other on the chemical;

What many people may not know is that our own bodies produce and use formaldehyde as a part of our normal metabolism (Final Report on Carcinogens Background Document for Formaldehyde[PDF], 2010). When we are exposed to methanol (e.g., via inhalation or ingestion of foods like citric fruits and juices, vegetables or fermented beverages), our bodies break it down into formaldehyde and other byproducts. Our bodies produce formaldehyde as a result of DNA demethylation (animportant process for controlling gene expression, e.g., in developing embryos) and other biological processes. It is such a regular part of human metabolism, that our normal, naturally produced blood concentrations are generally about 2-3μg of formaldehyde per gram of blood (or about 2.12-3.18μg/mL)*. And it is actually a pretty important chemical; our bodies use formaldehyde to form DNA and amino acids (Toxicological Profile for Formaldehyde [PDF],

Bolded is the important bit. Stolen from e-cigarette-forum.com

[Edit] Should point out I don't have a E-cigarette yet. I am currently researching to go down this route...

Edited by Nem88

where can you buy a mirage kit thanks.

Hi all, been thinking of trying out one.of those vaporizers things,mainly to save money, but do any of them have that taste of a proper rough fag ?

Ive seen the red bull flavours etc etc, that's the last thing I want, I want something that's like a proper Marlboro red

Please feel free to recommend what I should ask for

I use a 10 Motives one which tastes quite cigarette-y, I haven't tried any other brands so can't really compare but that one works for me, Sainsbury's stock them as do Tesco.

E-cigs, the latest chav accessory; I know of people with those who I'm sure have never really smoked in their lives. :help:

Hi people.

My girlfriend has recently started trying an ecig instead of smoking rollups. Well she's just asked if she's able to smoke it in my car as I've not allowed her to smoke in my car.

So can ecigs yellow the cars interior or make it smell?

Hi people.

My girlfriend has recently started trying an ecig instead of smoking rollups. Well she's just asked if she's able to smoke it in my car as I've not allowed her to smoke in my car.

I never smoked in my car or in the house,with the e.cig its totally different,no smell,no ash,no yellowing the car interior.Let her puff away.:)

Hi people.

tell her she cant smoke them in ur car, even though i dont think she smokes them now does she ;)

The most incredible quality E-cigs have is the fact they're totally harmless for everyone.

But the anti-smoking brigade still treat E-cig smokers as convicted paedophiles.

They are banned at my work and treat them like normal cigs.

---------- Post added 11-09-2013 at 18:11 ----------

I was smoking for about 43 years!!!!...And not had a single one since March (I think...sort of lost track of exactly how long, which to me is a good sign)

---------- Post added 10-07-2013 at 16:01 ----------

I found the looky-likey ecigs are awful, and flippin unreliable. For one thing, you can never tell how much 'juice' is in them. So you might take it out somewhere, and either the battery might die on you, or the cartridge runs out.

When I first bought one, (decent one) I went for the flavour that matched closest the cigarettes I was smoking, but rapidly came to the conclusion whereby it was stupid to 'want' a flavour in your mouth that tasted like a proper cigarette. So I went for menthol and stick with that, cos it's a bit like have a minty flavour after using it. Not a bad ciggie type aftertaste.

And so you should be:thumbsup: It must be nearly ten months now without a cig for me,and thats after being a smoker for thirty odd years.:)

So if you are smoking the ecigs instead,are you not still addicted to the nicotine?:huh:

They are banned at my work and treat them like normal cigs.

---------- Post added 11-09-2013 at 18:11 ----------

So if you are smoking the ecigs instead,are you not still addicted to the nicotine?:huh:

This is the case at the Northern General Hospital and others within the Trust.