E-cigs/E-cigarettes: MegaThread Discussion

1 hour ago, Jason302 said:

Sneaky vapers are starting to affect my health.

I have life long history of lung conditions.

I could never go on nights out with smokers and then they banned smoking in public places. Yippee!!! 

Now we have  sneaky  vapers who are again selfish enough to  try to hide themsevles vaping  but, they forget they have  to breathe out!!  Its a very selfish attitude to vape or smoke anywhere public. The chemicals / aerosols used in vapes affect my breathing along with many others who have lung conditions too.

Go outside please! Or stop complately.  Its not right and its not fair. 

Where I live vaping is banned in all places smoking is and so is smoking marijuana, which is now legal in Canada. However, vaping releases so much vapour that even outside it stinks worse than  tobacco smoke. I sympathise with you as I also have COPD, but mine is self-induced, having smoked for many years. I have been stopped for about 5 years, but my wife vapes.

Some clever person needs to invent a vape mouth piece that after youve breathed in the vapour, you breath out through the mouthpiece and it filters all the vape out so no vapour is released to the air.  Much easier to snide a toke and stop non vapers moaning about polluting their air

On 17/08/2018 at 12:19, alchresearch said:

In the news today:

E-cigarettes can be key weapon against smoking, say MPs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45212444#comp-comments-button

Fair enough, I can't argue with that.

However:

Accepted in society? Haven't we spent the last how ever many years trying to make the point that smoking isn't acceptable?

The last thing I want is to be trapped on a bus or train with vapers clouding the air.

Vapers just need to be considerate. Some of the 'e-cigs' (120W heater units) produce industrial quantities of fog and just one can quickly fill a carriage or bus. 

I don't see why it should be allowed anywhere that smoking is banned. At least it doesn't make your clothes smell (as much).

But as a vaper, I do sneak an occasional vape in the pub, but I don't exhale any visible vapour so no-one seems to mind or notice.

6 hours ago, Phanerothyme said:

Vapers just need to be considerate. Some of the 'e-cigs' (120W heater units) produce industrial quantities of fog and just one can quickly fill a carriage or bus. 

I don't see why it should be allowed anywhere that smoking is banned. At least it doesn't make your clothes smell (as much).

But as a vaper, I do sneak an occasional vape in the pub, but I don't exhale any visible vapour so no-one seems to mind or notice.

I've seen these cloud merchants and honestly don't get it at all. I've used an ecig for years now and get the "hit" I want but very little vapour comes out. I think mine are 1.6ohm at 12W. The odd pub I go in doesn't seem to have an issue with me using it. I use a fairly standard mix of tobacco and apple flavour, people have said it has no smell. My ex on the other hand uses very sweet flavours and they have a very strong smell.

I've not read up on what gets exhaled, is it any danger to others like cig smoke was? Or is it more a case that others "think" it's dangerous?  I thought it was just steam but would be interested in reading a factual report on what's in it.

An e cig is basically exactly the same as a disco fog machine. So exposure to e-cig exhaust is comparable to what you might find at a gig or theatrical production. The only kicker is that while disco fog machines are often scented, they don't usually contain nicotine. OTOH the concentration of nicotine in the fog diluted by the surrounding air is going to be close to 0.

There was a lot of talk of the fog generated by e-cigs "just being water droplets" but that's not the case, it's a fine mist made of PG and VG containing flavourings and nicotine.Basically atomised e-liquid.

I moved to a sub-ohm tank because it gave better flavour, but I'm not a cloud chaser, and tend to take it in short bursts. I think that providing you're considerate it shouldn't prove to be a problem. Also, stepping outside for a vape is just as socially useful as popping out for a cigarette, and I see plenty of vapers exhaling their personal cumulonimbus clouds in the beer gardens rather than the saloon bar.

Good explanation, thanks.

I have sub-ohm but never could get it right. I did notice the 70-30 liquids were a bit harsh, I went over to a 50-50 Hangsen liquid. A bit more money but when you compare it to a pack of cigs, it's still very cheap. I might dig out the sub-ohm coils and give it another go with the 50-50.

I have noticed the nod of agreement from heath professionals when I mention that I stopped with real cigs about 6 years ago and use the ecig now. I'm sure they would rather see none but the ecig seems to be the much lesser of two evils when it comes to health!

Inhaling anything but clean air is sub-optimal. Inahaling propylene glycol droplets isn't a great idea. Inhaling soot, carbon monoxide, tar vapour, sulphur dioxide, and about a million carcinogens is totally batsheet crazy.

On 27/04/2019 at 08:08, zach said:

I've seen these cloud merchants and honestly don't get it at all. I've used an ecig for years now and get the "hit" I want but very little vapour comes out. I think mine are 1.6ohm at 12W. The odd pub I go in doesn't seem to have an issue with me using it. I use a fairly standard mix of tobacco and apple flavour, people have said it has no smell. My ex on the other hand uses very sweet flavours and they have a very strong smell.

I've not read up on what gets exhaled, is it any danger to others like cig smoke was? Or is it more a case that others "think" it's dangerous?  I thought it was just steam but would be interested in reading a factual report on what's in it.

Vape doesn’t smell great but nailed on it will not be as unhealthy as smoking

Smoking tobacco is basically the same as inhaling combustion products from any vegetation, except tobacco has an addictive nicotine. That is exactly what people do when they smoke - they inhale burning leaves to obtain a drug. There isn’t much that could be worse than subjecting your body to that. Subjecting others as a result of your behaviour is even worse.

But back to vaping. Studies suggest the risk of vaping compared to tobacco is 95% lower. That’s good but what about the 5%? That means vaping will damage some vapers, and also potentially some passive vapers

Respect for others is the best policy

5 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

Respect for others is the best policy

As always, that's a two way street...or should be. Some folks just see the vapour and scream from the roof tops that it's killing them, instead of finding out what it is.

As I said in my other post, the smell is subjective to the flavours people use. You mention a study that shows a 95/5% ratio. Do you have a link? And I'm not asking for a link as proof, I'm asking because I'm curious as to what the 5% is.

9 minutes ago, zach said:

As always, that's a two way street...or should be. Some folks just see the vapour and scream from the roof tops that it's killing them, instead of finding out what it is.

As I said in my other post, the smell is subjective to the flavours people use. You mention a study that shows a 95/5% ratio. Do you have a link? And I'm not asking for a link as proof, I'm asking because I'm curious as to what the 5% is.

It was public health England’s review that concluded that it is 95% less harmful

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/e-cigarettes-around-95-less-harmful-than-tobacco-estimates-landmark-review

Edited by I1L2T3

Thanks, I'll have a read later.