E-cigs/E-cigarettes: MegaThread Discussion

I recently bought a new e-cig and was told they are going to be taxed, how true that was I don't know.

I stopped for 18 months using an ecig 12 months with nothing, like an idiot I started smoking proper cigs again in October, but am in the process of trying stop again.

After tring many E-cig shops around Sheffield I have found one near the forists on Birleymoor Road that is really smart. The man has all flavours, parts for all e-cig and prices good to. And before anyone asks no I don't work there or own shop and not related. Just giving credit where it's due.

initially I thought much of the negative news stories about e cigs were just the press scaremongering.

However some of the stuff I have read recently does make me question how safe they are.

A lot of the flavourings used although considered safe for consumption in food it does not mean they are safe to inhale.

There was the case recently where diacetyl was found in e liquids its considered safe in foods but not to inhale after workers in popcorn manufacturing factories who inhaled it became seriously ill.

Are there other flavourings that may in time prove to have similar effects when inhaled?

Also there was only a few weeks ago a report that said vaping damaged cells.

And a Japanese report that found e cigs contained 10 times the amount of carcinogens of normal cigarettes.

I guess we really do not know the full picture at this point as not enough long term research has been done and we certainly know that cigarettes are very bad for you and I would be surprised if vaping was as bad but at present we just don't know the long term effects of vaping.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-28955590

http://www.inquisitr.com/1640656/scientists-say-e-cigarettes-contain-10-times-the-level-of-cancer-causing-carcinogens-than-regular-cigarettes/

http://www.inquisitr.com/1708709/e-cigarettes-hit-with-more-bad-news-vaping-damages-healthy-cells-study/

initially I thought much of the negative news stories about e cigs were just the press scaremongering.

However some of the stuff I have read recently does make me question how safe they are.

A lot of the flavourings used although considered safe for consumption in food it does not mean they are safe to inhale.

There was the case recently where diacetyl was found in e liquids its considered safe in foods but not to inhale after workers in popcorn manufacturing factories who inhaled it became seriously ill.

Are there other flavourings that may in time prove to have similar effects when inhaled?

Also there was only a few weeks ago a report that said vaping damaged cells.

And a Japanese report that found e cigs contained 10 times the amount of carcinogens of normal cigarettes.

I guess we really do not know the full picture at this point as not enough long term research has been done and we certainly know that cigarettes are very bad for you and I would be surprised if vaping was as bad but at present we just don't know the long term effects of vaping.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-28955590

http://www.inquisitr.com/1640656/scientists-say-e-cigarettes-contain-10-times-the-level-of-cancer-causing-carcinogens-than-regular-cigarettes/

http://www.inquisitr.com/1708709/e-cigarettes-hit-with-more-bad-news-vaping-damages-healthy-cells-study/

this is correct, this is why eCloud only use flavours that are made specifically for inhaling unlike the majority of other manufacturers

Something I'm interested in is a list of pubs in Sheffield and the surrounding area that allow vaping. Is there such a beast? All I've found so far is a British Isles map but it's a bit sluggish and I'm not sure how up-to-date it is.

The Cremorne and Brothers' Arms have both been fine with it in my experience, but a Good Vaping Guide for British cities would be a useful thing.

JTF at catcliffe are selling 30ml oils for 79p,different strenghts and flavours,top wick carts are 1.99 each normally a fiver locally,big saving.

This is getting quite a bit of publicity this morning:

Scientists have called for urgent controls on the promotion and sale of e-cigarettes to children after finding high rates of usage among secondary school pupils in the region.

In a survey of more than 16,000 teenagers in north-west England, the researchers found that one in five students aged 14 to 17 had bought or tried e-cigarettes. Many of those who dabbled with vaping were already regular smokers.

Why bought OR tried? Why not just tried, surely that is the only important thing to measure?

It makes me deeply suspicious about the motives behind this "survey".

In the news today:

E-cigarettes can be key weapon against smoking, say MPs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45212444#comp-comments-button

Fair enough, I can't argue with that.

However:

Rules around e-cigarettes should be relaxed so they can be more widely used and accepted in society, says a report by MPs.

The report also asks the government to consider their use on buses and trains.

Accepted in society? Haven't we spent the last how ever many years trying to make the point that smoking isn't acceptable?

The last thing I want is to be trapped on a bus or train with vapers clouding the air.

So, with the NHS & our Government recommending their use, does that mean that we will all be liable to pay out the compensation claims that will start appearing in 10 years or so?

Just stick to the line that they are better than smoking cigarettes, but using nothing is best and do nothing to encourage their use in public.

In the news today:

E-cigarettes can be key weapon against smoking, say MPs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45212444#comp-comments-button

Fair enough, I can't argue with that.

However:

Accepted in society? Haven't we spent the last how ever many years trying to make the point that smoking isn't acceptable?

The last thing I want is to be trapped on a bus or train with vapers clouding the air.

Exactly! I vape but see no reason to re-introduce nicotine consumption in the places its already been banned from. It can only encourage more usage.

Unfortunately now the big tobacco companies are on board the vape wagon they will be 'lobbying' MPs hard and will probably win.

A bit like how gambling rules were relaxed amid the gambling companies claims that gambling addiction wont increase. Ooops

---------- Post added 29-08-2018 at 10:32 ----------

Should E-cig shops be subject to more stringent planning rules regarding the number of them allowed to open in a given area?

Smokers wanting to move on to e-cigs to help them quit will seek out an e-cig shop, but once they become a very regular feature on every local high street could non-smokers (particularly the young) start to see vaping as the norm and be enticed in to have a sample? Many of these shops have signs outside saying come in and try for free!

Sneaky vapers are starting to affect my health.

I have life long history of lung conditions.

I could never go on nights out with smokers and then they banned smoking in public places. Yippee!!! 

Now we have  sneaky  vapers who are again selfish enough to  try to hide themsevles vaping  but, they forget they have  to breathe out!!  Its a very selfish attitude to vape or smoke anywhere public. The chemicals / aerosols used in vapes affect my breathing along with many others who have lung conditions too.

Go outside please! Or stop complately.  Its not right and its not fair.