Rivelin Valley Road

Did there used to houses where the allotments were at the bottom as I remembered my nan had an allotment in the 80s that had a nissen hut on it near the wall?

There were some mill workers' cottages adjacent to Roscoe Wheel mill at the bottom of Roscoe Wood, just across the bridge from the allotments (here are links to two photos on the picturesheffield.com site). But they must have been demolished in about the 1930s/40s.

Thanks hillsbro I dont think thats where I mean. I'm wondering if the thing I said was a nissen hut was just a piece of corrugated steel made into a garden type hut thing. Wish my nan was still alive cos I would ask her.

Hi doseydoodah - some of the allotments did have quite elaborate huts. My great-uncle Albert Betts had one of the allotments, and apart from the greenhouse where he grew prizewinning tomatoes he had two huts. There was a small hut for tools etc. and a larger L-shaped hut which he fitted out with two easy chairs and an old carpet that someone gave him. With an iron pot-bellied stove in one corner and a crate of beer in the other it was a real "home from home"..:)

Thanks for the photos Hillsbro.

If I'm not mistaken you can still see the footings of the cottages as you approach the steps leading up to the path up the woods.

I wonder.....

Can you throw any light on a swimming pool between the bridge at the bottom of the woods and the now playground at Rivelin.

Dad says he used to swim there.

Maybe it was just a pond?

Hi Allen - as you walk from the bridge towards the steps, the stonework on the left is what remains of the mill building itself; the cottages were on the right.

There was indeed quite a large swimming pool a little further downstream, approached by a footbridge from the main riverside path. It was rather basic, with a sandy/mud bottom and a long wooden shed used for changing. Unfortunately the shed burned down in the 1930s and the pool was later abandoned. It gradually silted up and was eventually filled in. The concrete-and-steel footbridge remained until the 1980s when it became unsafe and was removed. On this map the location of the cottages is shown in red adjacent to Roscoe Bridge, and the swimming pool in purple.

Here is a link to a photo of the swimming pool on the picturesheffield.com site (click 'Zoom image' to enlarge) and another photo from a different internet source.

Edited by hillsbro

Thanks for the information hillsbro

That ties in exactly with Dad's recollections.

He was born in 1925, so swimming there in his younger days is quite plausible.

So nice to see the pics of his bygone days.

Much appreciated.

Hi Allen - as you walk from the bridge towards the steps, the stonework on the left is what remains of the mill building itself; the cottages were on the right.

There was indeed quite a large swimming pool a little further downstream, approached by a footbridge from the main riverside path. It was rather basic, with a sandy/mud bottom and a long wooden shed used for changing. Unfortunately the shed burned down in the 1930s and the pool was later abandoned. It gradually silted up and was eventually filled in. The concrete-and-steel footbridge remained until the 1980s when it became unsafe and was removed. On this map the location of the cottages is shown in red adjacent to Roscoe Bridge, and the swimming pool in purple.

Here is a link to a photo of the swimming pool on the picturesheffield.com site (click 'Zoom image' to enlarge) and another photo from a different internet source.

you posted a map link, can you post info on where to find the rest or more of this map to the left? sorry im late to this thread by a fewyears but trying to find some info out. thanks

...can you post info on where to find the rest or more of this map to the left?...
I can't remember where I found that map but www.old-maps.co.uk is useful. You could try this link (and "zoom out" three times to avoid subscribing) for a similar large-scale map of the area. Here also is a link to another map - click on the blue dot and drag to the left for a modern aerial view.

I can't remember where I found that map but www.old-maps.co.uk is useful. You could try this link (and "zoom out" three times to avoid subscribing) for a similar large-scale map of the area. Here also is a link to another map - click on the blue dot and drag to the left for a modern aerial view.

thank you for your reply i will look into this