World war 1 information

Can anyone tell me if there are any museums or places that I can take a friends daughter to. She is doing a school project on life in Britain during the First World War.

The Yorks and Lancs regimental museum is at the Clifton Park museum in Rotherham.I've not been to it yet so I don't know how good it is.The Imperial War Museum in Manchester is very good and the Green Howards regimental museum in Richmond,North Yorkshire has a very good WW1 section.

Weston Park museum is sadly lacking with,I don't think,any recognition even of the Sheffield Pals Battalion.

York & Lancs museum very good.

The KOYLI museum at Doncaster very good too, but these are all military themed enterprises.

Watch for a book by Peter Warr next year re Sheffield at home during the Great War.

You could also go to the Local Studies Library in town and search what they have.

The Yorks and Lancs regimental museum is at the Clifton Park museum in Rotherham.I've not been to it yet so I don't know how good it is.The Imperial War Museum in Manchester is very good and the Green Howards regimental museum in Richmond,North Yorkshire has a very good WW1 section.

Weston Park museum is sadly lacking with,I don't think,any recognition even of the Sheffield Pals Battalion.

last time I went to Western Park museum in Sheffield it was a dumbed down desert................full of hyper kids whacking buttons of 'interactive' displays that didn't work......

a great shame, used to take kids there years ago and they always had a great time.....but never seen a ww1 exhibition there either.

Kelham Island Museum might be useful. I can't remember what they have but there might be something about the armanents industry in the city during the war

There are various war memorials,and a trip to the east end would enable her to view the site of key munitions and weapons suppliers.In addition there is a stained glass window in Walkley Community Centre(Fir St) devoted to local lads killed in battle.

War memorials can be interesting,particularly in villages,where you often see the same surnames repeated several times,underlining the impact the war must have had on individual families.The dates of birth show that families often lost members of more than one generation and gives a clue to the hardships that must have continued for those remaining at home.

I don't remember Eden Camp having much to do with WW1 but it is several years since I visited.

I think York Castle Museum may have something relevant to the period.

I think wardsend cemetry has some WW1 soldiers graves - its in hillsborough behind the dog track & Bassets

That link is to the Accrington Pals.Same link but /sheffield is to the Sheffield Pals site.