I want to install windows 7

Alt account swarfendor? Lolz.

Shhh! ... swarfendor is just a pseudonym. :P

Haha. nice one. :thumbsup:

..and you can stop communicating pseudonymously too! :hihi:

Alt account swarfendor? Lolz.

Haha. nice one. :thumbsup:

Clarissa is her (his?) own person! And I don't just use Zorin!

Ultimate Edition 3.4, Zorin 6.2 Ultimate, Trisquel 5.5, PearLinux 7 Beta 64-bit.

Checkout my latest video!

---------- Post added 03-04-2013 at 14:40 ----------

I have just installed Zorin this afternoon on my old laptop which had XP on.

Couldn't believe how easy it was to install.

No drivers needed installing, even for my HP wireless printer and Vodafone dongle.

Can be run from disk to try before install. :thumbsup:

Hi Clarissa, Just a bit of advice before someone else leaves Zorin!

If you want to expect to place icons on the Desktop or on the panel at the bottom, be sure to boot into Zorin Fallback Mode - when you login, click on the white circle with a Z in it at the login prompt - you will then see the other DE (Desktop Environments) you can log in to.

If you install Cairo-Dock, you can drag and drop to the Docky or desktop too and it adds an additional DE option at boot after install.

For the complete guide (including, where to get (for FREE!) how to install (including dual boot) and post install guide (courtesy of Wolfman) then please be sure to download this little compilation that took me about a day and a bit (copying forum hyperlinks does not cut the mustard so I had to click on the link then copy and paste into the guide - I used a GNU/Linux PDF compiler to add all my pdf's together after saving (printing) to pdf using LibreOffice:

http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3962

Word of advice to anyone using wireless - boot into live mode and install from the 'install to hard drive' icon - this will pick up wireless - running directly from 'install directly' from the GRUB menu will not pick up wireless.

Edited by swarfendor43
typo + missing information

I assume that you have a valid key for W7?

How is that your business?

How is that your business?

because its pointless going through all this messing about and finally getting the installation going if the OP has not got a key.

plus i dont know about anyone else but from how i read it, it sounds like the person wishes to have windows 7 on their machine but does not know how to go about and and makes it sound like they have just got a W7 disk and no key.

im sure the OP is not that daft though.

Clarissa is her (his?) own person! And I don't just use Zorin!

Ultimate Edition 3.4, Zorin 6.2 Ultimate, Trisquel 5.5, PearLinux 7 Beta 64-bit.

Checkout my latest video!

---------- Post added 03-04-2013 at 14:40 ----------

Hi Clarissa, Just a bit of advice before someone else leaves Zorin!

If you want to expect to place icons on the Desktop or on the panel at the bottom, be sure to boot into Zorin Fallback Mode - when you login, click on the white circle with a Z in it at the login prompt - you will then see the other DE (Desktop Environments) you can log in to.

If you install Cairo-Dock, you can drag and drop to the Docky or desktop too and it adds an additional DE option at boot after install.

For the complete guide (including, where to get (for FREE!) how to install (including dual boot) and post install guide (courtesy of Wolfman) then please be sure to download this little compilation that took me about a day and a bit (copying forum hyperlinks does not cut the mustard so I had to click on the link then copy and paste into the guide - I used a GNU/Linux PDF compiler to add all my pdf's together after saving (printing) to pdf using LibreOffice:

http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3962

Word of advice to anyone using wireless - boot into live mode and install from the 'install to hard drive' icon - this will pick up wireless - running directly from 'install directly' from the GRUB menu will not pick up wireless.

Thanks swarfendor43, The only little annoyance I have encountered is mouse wheel scroll when using Google Chrome. It goes from top of the page to the bottom and misses the middle part of the web page. However I tend to mainly use my keyboard to navigate so should not be an overburden.

Already sussed the the DE and placing of icons. :)

Will download the tutorial

Again, many thanks for your advice. :)

I'd love to figure out Ubuntu though! I wouldnt mind learning Linux / Unix.. My heart was always with command line (MS DOS).

If you want to learn linux, don't go with Ubuntu, it was designed as a "hold your hand" linux (as close to the ease of windows as possible) - get something like Debian if you want to play around, mess it up, fix it, mess it up again, get annoyed and reinstall...

(it's not quite as easy to mess around with ubuntu)

If you want to learn linux, don't go with Ubuntu, it was designed as a "hold your hand" linux (as close to the ease of windows as possible) - get something like Debian if you want to play around, mess it up, fix it, mess it up again, get annoyed and reinstall...

(it's not quite as easy to mess around with ubuntu)

Well, not strictly true - once you have gdebi package installer installed you can install .deb packages - even .rpm ones using 'alien'!

---------- Post added 03-04-2013 at 15:34 ----------

Thanks swarfendor43, The only little annoyance I have encountered is mouse wheel scroll when using Google Chrome. It goes from top of the page to the bottom and misses the middle part of the web page. However I tend to mainly use my keyboard to navigate so should not be an overburden.

Already sussed the the DE and placing of icons. :)

Will download the tutorial

Again, many thanks for your advice. :)

Sadly, (at present), Zorin does not have dconf-editor present like pears does - there might be a setting in there to look at - feel free to visit the forum any time!

http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/index.php

Funny enough just been doing a Dell for some one would not install windows 7 turned out DVD rom was not reading as it should do although it seamed to be working 100% it was not.

Put second hand DVD drive in installed perfectly.

So many flavours of Linux!

Not sure which one to go for now lol.

So many flavours of Linux!

Not sure which one to go for now lol.

Mint and Zorin both run from live DVD - Try before you install :)

So does Ubuntu lol.

Can either of those run from a USB drive?

So does Ubuntu lol.

Can either of those run from a USB drive?

Both can be run from USB drive.