Emergency Dentist

Hi All,

I went for a tooth extraction last Thursday and since then I have has severe pain. I do not have a dentist, I have been on the waiting list at the killamarsh dentist for over a year, so have had to go to Charles Clifford to get this done.

I am sure they have left part of my tooth in there, I can feel it with my tounge. I cant sleep or eat properly and any painkillers I try do not work (Ibuprofen, Paracetamol & Paramol.) Charles Clifford are closed till Tuesday but I really cant wait till then.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do, I am in so much pain its unbearable.

Thanks

If you are not registered with an NHS dentist i would suggest calling the walk in centre or Hallamshire minor injuries to see if they can help. You might have a dry socket or a piece of bone working loose. They would have told you if a piece of root was left in. Have you been doing hot salt water mouthwashes ?

In terms of treating your pain at the moment, do you have or do you know close neighbours or family with children? Kiddies' ibuprofen solution filling into the cavity and then left to absorb can work wonders and if you know anybody that's got some hanging around then you can try that one immediately. It's also a really small dose of painkillers so you can use it frequently and irrelevant of whatever else you may already have taken.

If you can't take ibuprofen then Calpol works almost as well :)

Sorry I can't help you with your basic problem, but you may make it until Tuesday a little easier without the worst of the pain.

NHS direct should be able to help you

Or try ...

http://www.rotherham.nhs.uk/services/A-Z/Emergency-dental-service.htm

---------- Post added 31-03-2013 at 18:28 ----------

Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory which can safely be taken at the same time as paracetamol. Medusa's suggestion of using liquid form is good because it would get straight to the centre of the pain.

Ring NHS direct they should help

If you are not registered with an NHS dentist i would suggest calling the walk in centre or Hallamshire minor injuries to see if they can help. You might have a dry socket or a piece of bone working loose. They would have told you if a piece of root was left in. Have you been doing hot salt water mouthwashes ?

I would agree with that,it hurts like hell but can be sorted out more or less instantly[providing you can find a dentist of course] hope you soon find one.

been there, had that, even had bits of tooth coming out of the hole for 8 months after, you have my sympathy.

Has it stopped bleeding?

Thanks for the help all, drove in to Sheffield Walk in and A&E and neither will help with dental problem . They have given me a number to ring and someone is going to ring me back within a hour for a on the phone assessment.

@mrs_patching Yes I have been doing the salt water mouthwash, but they didnt say anything about warm water so ive used cold

@gym_rat It hasn't been bleeding

Found some children nurofen liquid in the cupboard, applied that and taken some more paramol

Edited by wolverine
more info

I also had to make inquiries on Good Friday regarding an emergency dentist and the number I was given is 08447 368440. Hope this helps.

I also had to make inquiries on Good Friday regarding an emergency dentist and the number I was given is 08447 368440. Hope this helps.

Thanks, thats the number I am waiting for a callback from.

right - I am not a dentist so take this advice or not

make the thing bleed, brush it as hard as you can then mouth wash.

thats what the dentist will do when you get in - worked for me.

dont attempt any treatment without speaking to a dentist, it could make it worse. next time just ring the charlies cliford and they will have the emergency number on the phone answering machine