Pedestrian cross at bottom of Norfolk Street (near Jumbos)

What is it with pedestrians and this crossing?

Almost every day I turn right off Arundel Gate onto Norfolk Street and the number of pedestrians who choose to ignore the red man and just saunter across the street is staggering?

Doesnt seem to happen anywhere else in these quantities so what gives here?

It's one of those crossings where the potential oncoming traffic isn't completely obvious. If you imagine you're on the north side of the crossing, the junction you are turning from is across two lanes and off to the side, also 'obscured' by a barrier - I think people only look at the left turning traffic from Arundel Gate that is right in front of them.

Of course, all that is a flimsy, poor excuse for pedestrians who just quite simply refuse to pay attention!!

I'm a pedestrian/public transport man and I think I get as infuriated by them as any driver.

Maybe it needs one of those audible "warning, two way traffic, look both ways" announcements that is at the crossing in front of Cooplands near the tram stop at Ponds Forge. Obviously the wording could be different.

Think everyone just needs a general 'green cross code' lecture. I see maybe 1-2 people a day who wait still stood on pavement/kerb while they check it's clear. Everyone else steps into the road and then checks, or sometimes as it this crossing they just walk.

Maybe it needs one of those audible "warning, two way traffic, look both ways" announcements that is at the crossing in front of Cooplands near the tram stop at Ponds Forge. Obviously the wording could be different.

A few more sets of traffic lights round there wouldn't go amiss either. I've seen cars getting up to 10 mph in the city centre recently. At that speed its only a matter of time before there's a nasty accident