Would you buy a suspended coffee?

OK, quick update...

I set up a facebook group and had 400+ people sign up in less than 24 hours so for every person who thinks it is a "stupid idea" and "will never work" there are about 100 who are willing to at least suspend their disbelief and give it a chance before shooting it down in flames! :hihi:

The twitter page is www.twitter.com/suspendedsheff

The facebook group has been changed to a page so people can 'like' the idea and participate more easily in the group and the conversations. The facebook page is here: https://www.facebook.com/SuspendedCoffeesheffield

The group email address is [email protected]

We have one definite coffee shop who wants to be involved so far (thanks Piccolo sandwich shop on London Road)

We have had offers of money to get things started off - this was completely unsolicited too. The plan is to do this for free but it is nice to know money is there if needed.

We have 2 possible logos that are currently being voted on.

The idea is to have an americano or tea available for £1 and the possibility of some kind of food item for another £1. The person in need will be able to choose if they want a drink or some food.

There are 2 ideas of how to get the food/drink to the people in need. 1) the donor buys a voucher for food/drink when they buy their own drink and if when they are out and about someone is obviously homeless they can give them the voucher rather than money as many people are reluctant to give people on the streets money. 2) the shop lays away the food/drink and possibly has a flip-able window notice that says something like "yes we have suspended coffee here" or "no suspended coffees just yet, please donate at the counter".

There is the potential of doing both or either or for some places. the idea is to work with the coffee shops so they can help in a way that suits their business.

Yes the shops will make some profit but why shouldn't they? It will cover the time, wages, rent, rates, tax etc they have to pay.

The scheme once up and running should have no problem reaching lots of people who are already inclined to help local people in need so if when next winter arrives there is a need for warm clothing or blankets for example a request can be put out for local people to support the idea and donate the needed items.

There are plenty of people out there who would like to help, that is obvious from the response I have had in the last 24 hours, but I think some people struggle to know how to help best or in a way that fits into their already busy life. I think this idea could be a great way to help people to help people.

I am also suggesting that people use the giving of a drink/food voucher as a great way to start having a conversation with someone on the streets. I have found that just talking to someone who is homeless can be a great boost to them when so many other people ignore them.

For all the people pouring cold water on the idea how about we just give it a try first and see how it goes. If it falls flat on it's face you can say "I knew that would never work" but in the mean time how about figuring out ways of making the idea better and stronger??

Just an idea....

---------- Post added 29-03-2013 at 18:19 ----------

Hi spats, thought I would reply to each point. My answers/ideas/suggestions from the group are in red

Hopefully a list of participating venues will be up shortly so I can avoid them. If I'm paying 3 quid for a coffee I don't want to sit next to a homeless guy, let alone queue behind one whilst he and his mates lurk about waiting for their next free brew.

Hopefully a list of participating venues will be up shortly so I can avoid them. If I'm paying 3 quid for a coffee I don't want to sit next to a homeless guy, let alone queue behind one whilst he and his mates lurk about waiting for their next free brew.

Tell you what Tinfoilhat, I will let you know which shops want to participate and help someone in need if you promise to tell me which coffee shops you go in so I can be sure to avoid you as I would hate to have to sit next to someone so devoid of compassion for a fellow human being who is freezing their bits off and starving hungry

Tell you what Tinfoilhat, I will let you know which shops want to participate and help someone in need if you promise to tell me which coffee shops you go in so I can be sure to avoid you as I would hate to have to sit next to someone so devoid of compassion for a fellow human being who is freezing their bits off and starving hungry

Costa mostly.

I pay my taxes, dont take part in any tax avoidence schemes so Ill sleep tight. I'll gladly kick in a quid to a charity box, but putting a sticking plaster in the form of a free coffee makes you think you are solving the problem go for it. I hope for the sake of the businesses who are taking up this scheme, that their clientele don't mind the homeless sat next to them.

Costa mostly.

I pay my taxes, dont take part in any tax avoidence schemes so Ill sleep tight. I'll gladly kick in a quid to a charity box, but putting a sticking plaster in the form of a free coffee makes you think you are solving the problem go for it. I hope for the sake of the businesses who are taking up this scheme, that their clientele don't mind the homeless sat next to them.

I never said this idea is about solving homelessness. This is about making it a bit less bad. Your quid in a collection tin is great, but THAT isn't going to solve homelessness either...and of that £1 not all of it will actually go to the good cause, some of it will be spent on "administration". In the same way this idea is not going to change the world but it could be the highlight of a homeless person's life and remind them that some people (not you obviously) can get past the possible smell and see a person in need.

If a business REALLY doesn't want homeless people staying in the shop they could make the drink/food take out only. Simples

I never said this idea is about solving homelessness. This is about making it a bit less bad. Your quid in a collection tin is great, but THAT isn't going to solve homelessness either...and of that £1 not all of it will actually go to the good cause, some of it will be spent on "administration". In the same way this idea is not going to change the world but it could be the highlight of a homeless person's life and remind them that some people (not you obviously) can get past the possible smell and see a person in need.

If a business REALLY doesn't want homeless people staying in the shop they could make the drink/food take out only. Simples

I mentioned this to my mate and she thinks it a good idea, to a point. What happens if there are three homeless people outside and only one coffee available ?

I think it's a great idea

I mentioned this to my mate and she thinks it a good idea, to a point. What happens if there are three homeless people outside and only one coffee available ?

This has been mentioned earlier but the idea is that people could buy a voucher in a coffee shop and carry it in their wallet. When asked for change by a homeless person they can give the voucher that can be exchanged for food/hot drink. This can be done when the homeless person wants/needs it. The other possibility is that drinks/food are laid away in the coffee shop. We are working on an idea where there is a rotate-able sign in the shop window that says if there are suspended coffees available. That way the homeless person knows if there is something there for them.

Ideally there will always be food/drink available when people need it. That is dependent on people knowing about the scheme and supporting it. If there is someone who is in need but there is nothing available it means the group has to find more ways to get more people involved.

I think it will very soon become a habit for those who regularly visit coffee shops. Plus it will give those who want to help but don't want to hand over money to homeless people a way of doing something that could make a big difference to someone's day.

I don't have all the answers but between us all I think we can do something that could make a difference

What about the shops having a separate compartment for the donated money .When a needy person asks for a coffee the shop owner takes a pound out of the donated money . We certainly do not want to make any profit from this . There are going to be niggles at first which will have to be ironed out . The main thing will be that people want to donate . Making sure the system cannot be abused either by the patrons or retailers is of the up most importance .We certainly have a very good relationship with our customers and i know they would trust us to do what is right . It would be good to find out how the original idea works in other places .

a few people on here saying its never going to work, well it works elsewhere so why not here, giving a drink isnt going to solve the homeless problem i agree, but whats wrong with just giving someone a hot drink if they might need one, or a cold drink in the summer. helping anybody in any situation has to start somewhere, and in the present econimic climate people dont have as much to donate, so even if its just a coffee, then why not, every scheme has problems but enough people involved can overcome them, likewise if you dont want to participate no one will force you to, nor will anyone know whether you do or dont, dont see the need for bashing the idea though, lets see what happens and if it takes off great, if it doesnt, wasnt any harm in trying

The Sheffield Blog has just posted details about Suspended Coffee Sheffield http://sheffieldblog.com/2013/03/30/suspended-coffee-sheffield/ Thanks for that!

The Twitter group is growing nicely at https://twitter.com/suspendedsheff

And the Facebook page is doing well too: https://www.facebook.com/SuspendedCoffeesheffield

A logo is in place thanks to the Romanian chapter of Suspended Coffee too.

Now that things are slotting into place the next step is to get some Sheffield coffee shops on board (to join Piccolos on London Road). Unfortunately I am out of Sheffield until next week so am trying to do it via social media. If anyone wants to approach Sheffield coffee shop owners they are welcome to invite them to find out more.

The plan is to develop a plan that suits the shop owners, the donors and most of all the people in need of a hot drink/food.

Any ideas or assistance with this is appreciated.

If I was homeless I'd much prefer a hot nutritious vegetable soup and some bread. Maybe throw in some nice cheese if you're feeling generous, glass of wine etc but not coffee.

If I was homeless I'd much prefer a hot nutritious vegetable soup and some bread. Maybe throw in some nice cheese if you're feeling generous, glass of wine etc but not coffee.

I'm pretty sure most would also like a council house, a nice job and a 2 week foreign holiday every year. Until that happens a cup of coffee (or tea) and something to eat will probably go down quite well I would imagine...

It is down to each individual coffee shop to see what they can offer food-wise so there is the possibility of some veggie soup...if they sell it and are able to cover their costs then it is possible