Smoking Neighbor - Advise please

slip a note under his door saying will you open a few windows when you smoke you could also give your place a coat of emusion to freshen things up good luck

this needed to be said . well done .

Missing the whole point of the thread maybe?! :loopy:

Two suggestions, and I don't live in UK so take these for what it's worth:

* Look in your tenancy agreement. Is there a no smoking clause in it? Most apartment buildings over here disallow smoking. It is not, as has been suggested, akin to doing what one wants in one's own home. In a block of flats you are living cheek to jowl and a common set of allowable practices may be in place. If no smoking is permitted, I would report him to the landlord. You pay rent and are entitled to a comfortable environment.

* Talk to the carers. They may not even be aware that he smokes as much as he does and assuming they have his confidence, they may be able to problem solve.

Contrary to what one or two others have insinuated on here, you sound to be a caring person and I commend you for your concern.

Now here's the problem. He's an elderly gentleman, has not been out of hospital for long and suffered a server stroke (According to other neighbors) so he has carers come in 3/4 times a day.

this may be the cure! he might not be arround much longer

I wonder if he is smoking dried tea bags. I have done it in the past before I packed up smoking,it was when I was made redundant and could not afford tobacco for my pipe.Not a bad smoke actually,but an awful smell.

That's made me lol :hihi:

You won't be laughing when the government get wind of this 'smoking tea bags' malarkey and tax tea! :hihi:

How is the smell of smoke getting through the ceiling, floor coverings and onto your bedding?

Also have any other neighbours noticed this?

I deliver to blocks of new build flats and often the entire building smells of smoke, not from someone smoking in the communal areas but from them smoking inside the flats.

Some houses I deliver to I can smell it outside the house with no windows open.

I don't think smokers realise how powerful a stench it really is, it's vile.

Some comments on this thread are saying if the man smokes something "illegal" (I presume they mean cannabis), something can be done about it. I thought you were allowed to possess cannabis for your own use now

They cnt do anything as long as you're not growing it.

The old mans perfectly entitled to smoke what he wants in his own home, so

unfortunately theres absolutely nothing you can do about it..

Also if a neighbour had the cheek to bring an E-Cig to my house i'd shove it where the sun don't shine! :D

Poundland sell strong plug in the wall perfumes. Buy one of them instead of moaning about a bloke who pays crazy tax for you via ciggys.

Missing the whole point of the thread maybe?! :loopy:

No its not. This old bloke is smoking in his own home where he is perfectly ,legally entitled to do so . He is doing nothing wrong. If someone chooses to live in a block of flats , then that comes with the chance another resident may be a smoker .

No its not. This old bloke is smoking in his own home where he is perfectly ,legally entitled to do so . He is doing nothing wrong. If someone chooses to live in a block of flats , then that comes with the chance another resident may be a smoker .

^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:thumbsup:

no i don't think your horrid and your comments are justified. we had a neighbour like thatyou coould smell the smoke coming through the walls, and like you owr clothes bed linen, you name it we could smell it even visitors could go home smelling of smoke a bit like being in a pub all night theres a chance you could take out an ASBO against this guy or ask the council involved they might use a mediator to help

An ASBO for smoking in his own home, for gods sake get real and get a life.

Sounds daft but a bowl of vinegar absorbs the smell of cigarette smoke.it does work too, I once used it in a bedroom that smelled awful of stale cigarette smoke.