The price of alcohol. A radical solution?

The police are powerless at tackling binge drinking, so It’s proposed to have a minimum price per unit, making us all pay for the discretions of the few.

If I was a member of parliament I’d be ashamed of bringing this into force as it shows just how inept the police are.

Surely the answer is to punish the offenders , and this can only be done by tougher sentences, Very heavy fines and where violence is involved imprisonment no and’s if's or but’s - Guilty =12 months, take him/her down. Let’s see how many come back for a second helping.

Well said.

the chavs usually get bladdered before they go out on cheap ale in the house or local park,so doesn't matter what time the pubs open n shut n re-open again it won't make any difference in this day and age....binge drinking is just away of life for the youth of today.....the proper drinkers now drink at home because they can have a cig with their beer,i'm a non smoker but i know plenty that have knocked the weekend visits to the pub for this reason

That's why I said bang the prices up in the supermarkets ect, the comeback of the old pub times would make a vast difference. Ok people will argue that why should sensible drinkers be penalized by banging up prices in the shops ect, and changing the the pub opening times, well tell this to the sensible and honest drivers who are being hammered by the Insurance companies because of the loutish yob behavior of car crime. Why should people have to stay home to have a drink the chavs and yobs of today are winning until some type of measures mentioned are looked into and actioned.

That's why I said bang the prices up in the supermarkets ect, the comeback of the old pub times would make a vast difference. Ok people will argue that why should sensible drinkers be penalized by banging up prices in the shops ect, and changing the the pub opening times, well tell this to the sensible and honest drivers who are being hammered by the Insurance companies because of the loutish yob behavior of car crime. Why should people have to stay home to have a drink the chavs and yobs of today are winning until some type of measures mentioned are looked into and actioned.

The police used to visit pubs during opening hours to check on what was going on and the age of the drinkers.

The police used to visit pubs during opening hours to check on what was going on and the age of the drinkers.

I think the Police should go up to the Chavs and wino's in our Public parks and on our streets and take it off em, if they gob off then the police should give em a clip around ear like in the good old days, :hihi:

In the climate we are in at the moment and at any time. We as humans look for the cheapest way to do things.

Increase will lead to the strong possability of more "bootlegging"

be it with Booze or Tobacco.

I for one like a pint or two.

But prefer to drink at home these days as its too expensive to have a night out. If i was given the option of cheap beer from somewhere i would take it. As i am sure many others would.

Has anyonse seen Demolition Man? Is this the perfect society that the world strives to be??

what a stupid thread

The only difference putting prices up would be the cost!

Its just another tax..................

I used to buy a 36 pint polypin of Pale Rider direct from the brewery at Kelham Island for home consumption over Christmas and New Year.

Then I found I could buy 40 pints of bottled Pale Rider in Asda for around £10 cheaper than I got it direct from the brewery.

So I started to get my beer from the supermarket because it doesn't make sense to pay more.

This is for home consumption during the holidays mind, I still go to pubs when I can find a decent one that hasn't closed.

Pubs can't compete with Supermarkets, there is no such thing as a loss leader in a pub, so they are going out of business.

And the Breweries also can't compete, so new startups who haven't done deals with supermarkets find they can't sell enough of their product to stay viable, no matter how good it is.

OK, you get cheap beer but you are at the mercy of the supermarket, if they decide a particular beer isn't selling well enough they stop buying it from the brewery and the brewery fails.

And conversely if they notice people buy a particular beer but don't buy enough of anything else to offset the supermarket discount, they will either stop stocking the beer and the brewery will fail or they will put the price up which will cause sales to fall and then we're back to not buying enough, so the supermarket stops stocking it and the brewery fails again.

If this keeps up long enough there will be precious little to drink that isn't some flavourless fizzy water with added alcohol, manufactured in some chemical plant owned by a foreign multinational and all the choice and diversity, all the beers with flavour, all the beers you drink for the taste rather than drink to get drunk will have gone

Cheap supermarket prices are not doing beer drinkers any favours in the long run.

who cares about the long run. As long as I can buy my booze for a quarter of the pub price im happy! We have to live in the here and now.

Has anyonse seen Demolition Man? Is this the perfect society that the world strives to be??

I think we're heading more for "Idiocracy" :)