Sign in to follow this  

Denmark, Muslims, and THOSE cartoons

Ok, let's say a paper published a cartoon of Jesus holding a torch to burn a heretic at the stake. Some Christians would just look at it & take offence. Others, however, would stop & think, yes, Christians in the past actually did burn people alive & justify that by saying it was a 'Christian' thing to do, so what can we learn about ourselves & our faith, what is this telling us about ourselves & the way we have used, & still use, our beliefs (bombing abortion clinics & murdering the people who work there, etc).

Point is, I've seen the former response from Muslims, but not the latter. 'Muslims' do commit violent attrocities in the name of their faith - have any Muslims looked at these cartoons & asked themselves whether there's anything to take on board, whether the actions of some 'Muslims' are actually creating that connection in the minds of non-Muslims. Surely there are 'Muslims' out there who believe that Suicide bombings are justifiable, & who use the words of Muhammed in the Koran to justify that. They see the actions of suicide bombers as being entirely in line with Muhammed's teachings. Yet it seems they are among the most vociferous opponents of the publication of these cartoons. Aren't these very 'Muslim' fanatics the ones who believe that suicide bombings are what Mohammed (& by extension Allah) actually want.

Just seems very ironic...

JRRT as someone said in either this or another thread like it, they are not thinking for themselves.

These riots etc only take place AFTER they have at the Mosque and been told what to do.

Its a little tiresome isnt it not being able to express ones own opinions on these subjects for fear of extremists responses.

I wonder if Muslims feel that outbursts by extremists do not do them any favours when they live in multi racial communities. Do they realise that it alters the average person's perceptions of them?

Its a little tiresome isnt it not being able to express ones own opinions on these subjects for fear of extremists responses.

I wonder if Muslims feel that outbursts by extremists do not do them any favours when they live in multi racial communities. Do they realise that it alters the average person's perceptions of them?

I should imagine that most Muslims feel exactly the same way about Muslim extremists as non-Muslims feel about the extreme right-wing bull that some other non-Muslims spout.

JRRT as someone said in either this or another thread like it, they are not thinking for themselves.

These riots etc only take place AFTER they have at the Mosque and been told what to do.

Thinking is not part of the game plan for most religions, and certainly not for the fundamentalist elements. Indoctrination starts at a very young age and removes the ability of 'believers' to even allow themselves to consider other options. They are taught what to wear, what to eat, told what to do. Their value systems are programmed into their brains, rendering them very similar to robots. The bottom line is fear and control. Challenge any belief system and you will blow the robot's fuse, as it just can't handle it.

I should imagine that most Muslims feel exactly the same way about Muslim extremists as non-Muslims feel about the extreme right-wing bull that some other non-Muslims spout.

The protests i've seen so far - burning the British and EU flag goes someway to discredit that. When it's a mass protest it tends to incline it's a popular one.

I'm not quite sure what to make of all this. I can see both sides of the argument.

However I think it is highly insensitive and in bad taste and I hope the cartoons do not get published in this country.

Without having read the article with the cartoons, I can not judge the context in which they were written. But my first instinct is to say as Zafar pointed out it is reminiscent of antisemitic images during WWII.

The editor who allowed these images to be published was highly irresponsible and only goes to create a bigger them and us society.

Why give the Prophet Mohammed a face, when it is forbidden and will obviously cause widespread offence. What is the thinking behind it?

I would say the cartoons arguably could have been created to insight hatred.

Thinking is not part of the game plan for most religions, and certainly not for the fundamentalist elements. Indoctrination starts at a very young age and removes the ability of 'believers' to even allow themselves to consider other options. They are taught what to wear, what to eat, told what to do. Their value systems are programmed into their brains, rendering them very similar to robots. The bottom line is fear and control. Challenge any belief system and you will blow the robot's fuse, as it just can't handle it.

This is not so in Catholicism or Christianity generally. Many families raise their children as Christians, but when their kids reach their teens, they reject the beliefs and values of their parents and construct their own. This is a normal feature of adolescent development and is well documented within psychology texts. But many muslim adolescents dont appear to follow this pattern. Why? Fear obviously. How healthy is that?

The protests i've seen so far - burning the British and EU flag goes someway to discredit that. When it's a mass protest it tends to incline it's a popular one.

I'm fairly sure that only a very, very small proportion of British muslims were at any of the protests to which you refer.

Although I'm not at all religious, and rather poorly informed - to my shame - about the current situation, I know enough to understand that images depicting the Prophet Mohammed are deeply offensive to Muslims. Why would a national newspaper wish to print anything that is so obviously insulting and inflammatory?

This is not so in Catholicism or Christianity generally. Many families raise their children as Christians, but when their kids reach their teens, they reject the beliefs and values of their parents and construct their own. This is a normal feature of adolescent development and is well documented within psychology texts. But many muslim adolescents dont appear to follow this pattern. Why? Fear obviously. How healthy is that?

But for the most part we're talking about the small proportion of those who follow any religion and hold extreme views or form extremist groups. In America, for example, there are many families who hold deeply devout religious beliefs, which are passed on to their children. Not all children reject the religious beliefs of their parents, especially if the atmosphere in which they are raised is not one which favours the seeking out of alternative belief systems.

Why give the Prophet Mohammed a face, when it is forbidden and will obviously cause widespread offence. What is the thinking behind it?

Its only forbidden to Muslims. Its not forbidden to non-Muslims, as we don't accept that the Koran has any authority. That's the point. Muslims are seeking to force us all to live by their rules by the backdoor, & using 'racism' as a means to make us feel guilty about not lying down & letting them walk all over us 'kafirs'.

Bottom line - if you want to know the only thing they'll accept look at Afghanistan under the Taliban - militant Islam taken to its logical, & only, conclusion.