Stairlift help ?

Good afternoon forumers. :)

I have a query, my grandad has a starlift and unfortunatley there is something wrong with it.

It was fitted by the council but he has been told by the stairlift company (Stannah?) that his warranty is up ... they want a £135 call out fee for half an hour to assess the stairlift and then money for parts, my grandad cannot afford this.

does anyone know anything about stairlifts who could come and assess the lift?

he has one leg and cannot get upstairs for bed or bathroom needs.

the stairlift is working but is very slow and sometimes stops half way up ?

if anyone can help please message me.

Thank you

Sara

It's the battery: the same thing happened to mine but fortunately still covered by the council's warranty.

I have a query, my grandad has a starlift and unfortunatley there is something wrong with it.

It was fitted by the council but he has been told by the stairlift company (Stannah?) that his warranty is up ... they want a £135 call out fee for half an hour to assess the stairlift and then money for parts, my grandad cannot afford this.

Thank you

Sara

I'm afraid I don't know very much about stairlifts as such, but would suggest that the on board battery is not taking a charge correctly. You can get them here quite cheaply ... I doubt it'd be very difficult to fit one. You may be able to get them through a mobility shop too.

On the other hand, if the Council fitted it (as you say), is it worth contacting them to see if they can help?

If it was fitted by the council and paid for by them, surly they should see to repairs, I get Kier come and service mine (not a stair lift) twice a year - have a word with the council

Thank you

Sara

Read these posts and look for the username "twoflags" for the advice he gives

click here

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=484855&highlight=stair+lifts

I think he use to fit them in the past and I think he still does them as a part time job. then send him a PM message asking if he would be interested in doing the job

Was this fitted as part of a Needs Assessment? If so then the local authorities have a duty of care, he may need an assessment by an occupational therapist via his GP

they want a £135 call out fee for half an hour to assess the stairlift and then money for parts,

sounds like a dead battery

I have rang the council they wont help, does anyone know anyone who could come and have a look and possibly fit a battery if that is the problem?

thank you for all replies.

---------- Post added 25-03-2013 at 16:47 ----------

I'm afraid I don't know very much about stairlifts as such, but would suggest that the on board battery is not taking a charge correctly. You can get them here quite cheaply ... I doubt it'd be very difficult to fit one. You may be able to get them through a mobility shop too.

On the other hand, if the Council fitted it (as you say), is it worth contacting them to see if they can help?

I and my grandad would have no idea how to fit one he has one leg so cant do much anyway :( If someone could come and look and fit one that would be amazing, do you know of anyone?

Thank you.

---------- Post added 25-03-2013 at 16:50 ----------

It's the battery: the same thing happened to mine but fortunately still covered by the council's warranty.

ahh do you know how they fitted the battery?

Thank you.

It sounds like this was fitted by the council after your grandad had an assessment. The stair lift would have been paid through the councils Equipment & Adaptations department. The stairlift IS the council's property, therefore, THEY are the ones that have to service it AND repair it. Go straight back to the council and speak to someone in the Equipment and Adaptations department. Let us know how you get on

If your granddad is in a council house then the lift will be covered by equipment and adapations dept, after the guarantee runs out from stannah, Keir normally do this, if he's in private accommadation and the lift was through a grant when the guarantee was coming to an end the company would have sent a letter offering an insurance package, if this is not taken up then he will have to pay and i believe that he would have had written info of this at the time of instillation. type in advice about a stairlift (on the forum) and maybe he could get it done cheaper.

If the stairlift was fitted by equipment and adaptations after an assessment by an O.T.then the stairlift belongs to you however the council/social services/neighbourhoods will normally pay for services but only for a limited period of time. After that time it is up to the user to continue any warranty payments.

If it was fitted by the council and paid for by them, surly they should see to repairs, I get Kier come and service mine (not a stair lift) twice a year - have a word with the council

I would also say that this should be the case:- yes, my Stannah stairlift was replaced just before Christmas, after 15 years of service, and my housing association was responsible for funding the repairs to it when the micro-switches died etc before it "died" and needed to be replaced.

I have a lovely new lift, now, which has a five year warranty. After the warranty runs out, the housing association will, again be responsible for its upkeep.