YOUR favourite things about Sheffield

I didn't mention it before, 'cos it's so obvious, but the Blades are actually the best thing about Sheffield

Oh, everything.

It's a safe city - I can walk around anywhere at any time - no trouble at all.

It's down to earth - hasn't disappeared up its own a**e.

It's right on the edge of the countryside.

Not important to me, but we have a large shopping centre on the doorstep. I did have reason to go there last night (to eat, not to shop) and it's still a lovely centre.

The theatres are great.

It's the closest city to my beloved Chesterfield FC, so just a short drive to the football on Saturdays.

Long live Sheffield. I love it :D

Solitaire xxx

Hi all, a recent debate managed to surface in college the other day with a group having a go at me as aparently Leeds is a better place than Sheffield. They all felt it was important to tell me why and insisted on lising various reasons why.

So I suppose my question is what do YOU prefer about Sheffield?

For me its that banter you can strike up and the green space, along with the night life!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Where are you from originally? and what 'damn accent' is it that you don't like?

Cheshire...and I'm just sick of the "Yorkshire/near-Barnsley accent" - SOME people in Sheffield DO speak without it being SO prominent they sound like they need therapy, but when going out you VERY rarely get to meet any of them...or else they're so quiet in comparison to the noisy chavs that you don't notice because they never approach you for conversation as you're not already part of their quiet little friendship group sitting in the corner.

Making friends in Sheffield (and Yorkshire in general to some extent) is harder because comparatively (with Cheshire) there are fewer people who'll even ACKNOWLEDGE you if they don't know you, let alone actually invite you to their table and involve you in their conversation/talk to you if you're somewhere by yourself and they've never met you before.

---------- Post added 30-03-2013 at 11:46 ----------

You've got mates? with an attitude like yours I suggest you save like mad & sod off, Sheffield doesn't want, nor need your kind. I bet you speak with a poncy Southern accent or some stupid Emmerdale type Leeds accent.

Exactly my point...I bet you're one of these thick-accented "I'm born and bred Yorkshire and proud of it, **** you if you don't like it!" types - whereas it's so many of THAT type coming across too damn brash about it that makes me sick of Sheffield

(QUOTE)Making friends in Sheffield (and Yorkshire in general to some extent) is harder because comparatively (with Cheshire) there are fewer people who'll even ACKNOWLEDGE you if they don't know you, let alone actually invite you to their table and involve you in their conversation/talk to you if you're somewhere by yourself and they've never met you before.(QUOTE)

Hi, I don't know Cheshire well and maybe it is a very friendly place, but there are few big cities in England where you could easily join a group of strangers who all know each other well - its bound to change the group dynamic. I know I would not be comfortable joining in with a group I did not know. Best way to make friends in a big city is to join things - classes, clubs, sports etc. and not be too miffed if a group of old mates just want to talk to each other.

The best thing about Sheffield is its greenery; we're blessed with so many parks, woods and tree's that seem to line most of the roads.

Couldn't agree more. Take somewhere like Woodseats, within a few miles you've got:

Three large golf courses that no one minds you walking around, Graves Park, Chancet Woods, Parkbank woods, Ladyspring woods, Ran woods, Ecclesall woods, Millhouses Park, Whirlowbrook and the Peak district a little further out.

If you come into Sheffield via Ringinglow Rd and take in the magnificent view the whole city is a mass of greenery. Nowhere else I've ever been is like that.

I remember a meet and greet type event when I first started at uni. When I spoke to students new to the city and asked what their impressions were, several said something along the lines that, they were all a bit freaked out by how easily the locals started up a conversation. One London lad complained that every time he was at a bus stop someone would talk to him even if it was just to have a moan about the buses and he couldn't get his head around it. That was 15 years ago and he now lives in Broomhill having never moved away.

We all criticise the place from time to time, as is our right but we shouldn't forget the great qualities of Sheffield and its residents.

Edited by Doctor Drew
Spelling

The M1, or any other road leading out of Sheffield.

not a fan then?

People thanking bus drivers.