Good area to live in

Howcome there's some massive Victorian villas in Burngreave and Norfolk Park then? I presume these areas were once upmarket.

They were indeed - once!

Howcome there's some massive Victorian villas in Burngreave and Norfolk Park then? I presume these areas were once upmarket.

Burngreave was once the Dore 'village' of its day, with Doctors, lawyers and teachers living there one-hundred years ago :)

Sadly, the austerity following the second World War made it nigh impossible for the owners to maintain those properties and they slowly fell into ruin... :(

Hi and welcome to Sheffield. The better areas of Sheffield tend to be surprisingly expensive and 80,000 will be a bit of a challenge. The nicest areas of Sheffield with the best schools are South of the City and mainly in the South West. Good postcodes are S10, S11 & S17. Still mainly good but a bit cheaper are parts of S6, S7 and Sheffield 8. You could go a bit further out to Dronfield or even take a look at Chesterfield - though the commute might be a bit horrible. One way to judge if an area is OK is to check out the catchment areas of the Secondary Schools - if the school has a Sixth Form, generally the neighbourhood is good. Best of luck with your search.

Interesting theory.

Springs has a sixth form.

Bradfield doesn't.

Wybourn was once deemed fit for a queen. !

But not one who chose to live there.

But not one who chose to live there.

Only due to the stigma. Secretly she loved it.

Hi and welcome to Sheffield. The better areas of Sheffield tend to be surprisingly expensive and 80,000 will be a bit of a challenge. The nicest areas of Sheffield with the best schools are South of the City and mainly in the South West. Good postcodes are S10, S11 & S17. Still mainly good but a bit cheaper are parts of S6, S7 and Sheffield 8. You could go a bit further out to Dronfield or even take a look at Chesterfield - though the commute might be a bit horrible. One way to judge if an area is OK is to check out the catchment areas of the Secondary Schools - if the school has a Sixth Form, generally the neighbourhood is good. Best of luck with your search.

Grenoside,Bradfield(inc school)Oughtibridge,Birley Carr,Crabtree are all very acceptable but are in the north and north-west.There is a lot of postcode snobbery in the city,which will become apparent as more people contribute.Anyone using the term nice should be regarded sceptically as nice really means nothing.

Moreover the post above seems oblivious to your budgetary constraints.

I would say any of the new area of Manor Park (basically from Fitzhubert Road down to Harborough Ave, also known as Parklands) is good, not the best but certainly not the worst and no different from say Hillsborough. All the area is currently having all the new LED street lights fitted too and over last 5yrs is getting better and better. Also 80% of that area is private owned.

I'm sure there'll be negative folk on here that have never stepped foot or lived in the area and only go off how it was 10yrs + ago before it was all levelled will say otherwise but go have a drive up (when snow cleared) and have a look for yourself. You can even draw out the area on Police Uk, it's definately a safe place to live.

This is based on your £80k budget (which is still going to be close) as there are other areas in Sheffield that are better but you'd need at least £120k to get something decent but we all start somewhere.

Wherever you go hope it works out for you :)

The geographical model based on GCE O level(circa 1968) has been denounced by Danny Dorling and other academics as over-simplistic.

I live in Woodseats (off Abbey Lane) and love it. Area is great, plenty of shops, lovely neighbours.

Not how essential the 2 bedroom requirement is - there are a couple of flats in your price range in S8/7. This one is in your price range and handy for work in S8: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-36046273.html of if you can stretch a little more / do a deal this would also be very good: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-40229621.html

Edited by mc55

Hello All the wonderful people of Sheffield!!

I am trying to move into sheffield and work in S8 post code area. I am looking for a 2 bed house around the 80K mark. I am looking for any ideas from you guys as to what sort of areas that I should avoid and what areas are OK to live in as a family and not worry about your bins getting burnt. I am looking to move anywhere within 5 miles radios from the city centre.

I will be much obliged for any input.

Thank you

Hello and welcome to Sheffield :) I have been stuck in the wilds of Derbyshire for the last few years but am about to move back to the city myself.

"Nice" is a very subjective term and means different things to different people. Your decision is going to be based on your own personal feelings and experiences and depends what type of person you are. I might call an area "nice" that another person would feel was horribly downmarket.

Areas in Sheffield I personally have lived in are Hackenthorpe, Westfield and Eckington, all of which were fine for me. I also lived in Shiregreen, which was not fine and would never go back there - that said, the area around the top of Bellhouse Road I think was better than down the bottom end.

I know a lot of people don't like Westfield but the vast majority of it is fine - there are some pockets which you don't like to walk through at night but I lived on there for 2 years and never had one bit of bother. Never had a problem in Hackenthorpe either.

As you are working in Sheffield I'd suggest looking at the different areas and driving over there in the evenings and just get a feel for each place. Look at properties available on Rightmove etc and plug the postcodes into checkmyarea.com to get a rough idea of the type of people living there - I'd say it's pretty accurate.

(To get approximate postcodes of properties on rightmove and other sites, use the map to check the road name and approximate number - often they have a Streetview available - and then plug the road name and house number into Royal Mail postcode finder, then drop that into checkmyarea.)

Hope this helps :)

Good information from Karen1573. It is inevitably a subjective opinion that you will get from posters. We tend to recommend the areas we know and that we know others regard as safe. I have lived in Tinsley, which is not too lovely, and Pitsmoor, which I really liked, but many people regard Pitsmoor as a rough neighbourhood and so I probably could not recommend it as a good family area. Where I live now (S11) is a great area for families and also, horribly expensive. I don't like to list a load of places to avoid as there are many good people living in these areas and its not great for them to hear their neighbourhoods being castigated. You can search back through previous 'area' threads to get an idea of the places generally regarded as not so desirable. Again. Good luck!