Good area to live in

Hello All the wonderful people of Sheffield!!

I am trying to move into sheffield and work in S8 post code area. I am looking for a 2 bed house around the 80K mark. I am looking for any ideas from you guys as to what sort of areas that I should avoid and what areas are OK to live in as a family and not worry about your bins getting burnt. I am looking to move anywhere within 5 miles radios from the city centre.

I will be much obliged for any input.

Thank you

I am trying to move into sheffield and work in S8 post code area. I am looking for a 2 bed house around the 80K mark. I am looking for any ideas from you guys as to what sort of areas that I should avoid and what areas are OK to live in as a family and not worry about your bins getting burnt. I am looking to move anywhere within 5 miles radios from the city centre.

Thank you

There's a simple rule for Sheffield. Look at a map. Find the A61. Live on the west side of that road (or as close to it on the east side as you can).

Woodseats, Meersbrook and Beauchief are the decent areas in s8.

There's a simple rule for Sheffield. Look at a map. Find the A61. Live on the west side of that road (or as close to it on the east side as you can).

interesting theory, the A61 runs from The Northern point of Tankersley directly through Sheffield centre and all the way south to Chesterfield, so your saying, pretty much anywhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by delboy1983

Thank you

And you won't get a 2 bedroom house in any of those places for 80k.

Unfortunately, for that money you can pretty much rule out any 'nice' areas of Sheffield

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

You won't get a 2 bed house in a 'decent' area for £80 but you might get a flat if you're very lucky in S10/11/7.

interesting theory, the A61 runs from The Northern point of Tankersley directly through Sheffield centre and all the way south to Chesterfield, so your saying, pretty much anywhere.

Yeah - anywhere from Hillsborough down to Greenhill and west of that line.

It's the same in all European industrial cities - because of the prevailing winds from the west, the nicer areas are upwind of the industrial centre (i.e. the west), whereas the worse areas are downwind (east). Rich west London vs poor east London as another obvious example of this.

Hi and welcome to Sheffield. The better areas of Sheffield tend to be surprisingly expensive and 80,000 will be a bit of a challenge. The nicest areas of Sheffield with the best schools are South of the City and mainly in the South West. Good postcodes are S10, S11 & S17. Still mainly good but a bit cheaper are parts of S6, S7 and Sheffield 8. You could go a bit further out to Dronfield or even take a look at Chesterfield - though the commute might be a bit horrible. One way to judge if an area is OK is to check out the catchment areas of the Secondary Schools - if the school has a Sixth Form, generally the neighbourhood is good. Best of luck with your search.

It's the same in all European industrial cities - because of the prevailing winds from the west, the nicer areas are upwind of the industrial centre (i.e. the west), whereas the worse areas are downwind (east). Rich west London vs poor east London as another obvious example of this.

how does shiregreen and parson cross fit into that theory? no diresepct to anyone but intrigued at that one lol.

how does shiregreen and parson cross fit into that theory? no diresepct to anyone but intrigued at that one lol.

Those estates were built on greenbelt land after the industrial revolution (post-1900s) and were sought-after areas in their day. :)

Realistically, a house in a reasonably OK area close to the city is probably going to be nearer £100,000. For example: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-38188090.html

You might get something cheaper if you go as far as Hillsborough, but I am not familiar enough with that neighbourhood to be able to comment on it.

Howcome there's some massive Victorian villas in Burngreave and Norfolk Park then? I presume these areas were once upmarket.