Where are the gritters??

its bad here in wybourn,manor and skye edge paths need gritters n alleys its too icy people had to hold on to rails kids hurting themselfs n elderly its a joke whats the council playing at they should be considering peoples safety.

Would someone please explain how they expect the council or Amey to clear every road and footpath as they do not have the manpower for everything to done straight away. Instead of complaining you could always get a shovel and go and clear some of it yourselves like I do and I have cleared a genel and gritted out of the grit bin, this happened regularly in the 50 s and 60s people just got stuck in instead of wanting everything done for them immediately.

Ah was it you just up from the Florist with van on wrong side of road and partial jack-knifed? That was going nowhere! A good effort clearing that section though.

Not me matey. I was way up near the petrol station. On the road where the buses terminate. I struggled to get my van off one side road where it was blocking the road and left it safely at the kerbside.

Message for phantom may I tell U how am I suppose to do it when I ve recently had an operation and not fully recovered yet and going to shop n bus stop was a struggle especially helping my mu aswell who is in her 60s making sure she didn't slip

Would someone please explain how they expect the council or Amey to clear every road and footpath as they do not have the manpower for everything to done straight away. Instead of complaining you could always get a shovel and go and clear some of it yourselves like I do and I have cleared a genel and gritted out of the grit bin, this happened regularly in the 50 s and 60s people just got stuck in instead of wanting everything done for them immediately.

It's easy to explain.

Sheffield has one gritter. This gritter drives around Sheffield's roads at around 50mph. :hihi:

Only kidding. They do drive quite fast though...

Hats off to them. They do a good job. :thumbsup:

Crookes and Walkley Lane not done?

They've had all day. What a ****** joke

Loxley not done either.

snake and woodhead are still shut no buses in stocksbridge 12 inch deep on pavements 3 foot plus drifts everywhere yes great job.

Woodhead and snake pass are the highways authority responsibility. Google the roads at the moment, there are huge snow drifts, 5/6ft deep. Road salt would have had no effect. Which part of it doesnt stop snow settling are you finding difficult to understand?

It's easy to explain.

Sheffield has one gritter. This gritter drives around Sheffield's roads at around 50mph. :hihi:

Only kidding. They do drive quite fast though...

Hats off to them. They do a good job. :thumbsup:

I don't think most people have a problem with the people doing the gritting, they work damn hard, the issue seems to be the lack of numbers doing it.

Maybe it's a politics thing, but I noticed a few years ago when the Liberals were in power that High Green was very well gritted, but this year I've only seen gritters 3 or 4 times up our neck of the woods.

Regards

Doom

Wouldn't agree with that

I disagree with you, I drive all over Sheffield from 5am most mornings, if the gritters haven't been out then I'm the first to moan trust me, this year though they have been spot on, and the only complaint I can make was going back a good few months now when we had all that Ice, back then Amey said it was only certain routes that was getting priority, they now seem to have revised that and clearly are out 24/7 doing their bit - like i've said on many occasions on here, give them a bloody break!

Maybe it's a politics thing, but I noticed a few years ago when the Liberals were in power that High Green was very well gritted, but this year I've only seen gritters 3 or 4 times up our neck of the woods.

It's since the Arctic Monkeys moved away.

I don't think most people have a problem with the people doing the gritting, they work damn hard, the issue seems to be the lack of numbers doing it.

Regards

Doom

It's getting a balance between spending and actual usefulness though. We've had about 15 days this year where there has been snow on the ground. And probably another 30 where it's been frosty / icy.

Road salt is about £40 per tonne. The council bought 16000 tonnes this year, i'm sure they probably got a better price than i've quoted. Grit lorries cost about £100k new. Then there's the wages of the people who drive them about. To increase the resources that the council currently spends would cost hundreds of thousands to even get 2 more gritters.

If you think about the £50million the council has had cut this year, and the tens of millions it's had to reduce over the previous 3 years, i'd say that gritting is lower down on the priority list for annual spending that it probably used to be.

It's getting a balance between spending and actual usefulness though. We've had about 15 days this year where there has been snow on the ground. And probably another 30 where it's been frosty / icy.

Road salt is about £40 per tonne. The council bought 16000 tonnes this year, i'm sure they probably got a better price than i've quoted. Grit lorries cost about £100k new. Then there's the wages of the people who drive them about. To increase the resources that the council currently spends would cost hundreds of thousands to even get 2 more gritters.

If you think about the £50million the council has had cut this year, and the tens of millions it's had to reduce over the previous 3 years, i'd say that gritting is lower down on the priority list for annual spending that it probably used to be.

I'm sure someone at the Council told me the gritters are the same people that do the gardens and hedges in the summer, but they are paid the same regardless of times they work, could be wrong

I'm sure someone at the Council told me the gritters are the same people that do the gardens and hedges in the summer, but they are paid the same regardless of times they work, could be wrong

Don't think so as the workers will have TUPE transfered to work for Amey. Plus, the vast majority of the gardeners etc will have lost their jobs in the cuts. Parks were one of the worse hit departments.