Where are the gritters??

But why do some roads and not others. We've had tractors with ploughs, gritters and gritters with ploughs. So Worrall to Hillsborough has had loads of attention. Why not touch Crookes at all?

It's a main route from Broomhill to Hillsborough. Makes little sense to me. Can we get anyone from amey to explain. To all the argument starters, yes it's one day (looks more likely to be three though) we all pay our taxes so why don't we get the same road clearing services?

Here you go:

Priorities and Gritting Timescales

Primary Routes

These cover 250 miles in total and are defined as:

main roads which link cities together

road links which have more than just local significance

main public transport routes and roads leading to important industrial establishments such as hospitals and fire stations.

These will be completely covered within 3 hours of gritters leaving the depot.

Secondary Routes

These cover 470 miles in total and are defined as:

Important distribution roads;

Roads leading to schools, villages, shopping centres;

Important bus routes and roads leading to bus depots;

busy commuter roads

known hot-spots

These will be completely covered within 5 ½ hours of gritters leaving the depot.

and more on the link here:

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/travel/winter/gritting.html

including the grit routes.

all you need to know about gritting at your finger tips.

Crookes hasn't been done. I don't think Walkley Lane has either.

---------- Post added 23-03-2013 at 17:37 ----------

I don't know, all over. My customers obviously want to go somewhere.

I would have thought any taxi driver who had snow tyres fitted would be making money hand over fist!

Say what you like but i didnt have a problem getting from crookes to woodhouse yesterday and also today getting from barlborough to sheffield ,, I think the gritters have done a great job there has been no gridlocks anywhere this time , unlike in the past.... keep it up boys well done!!!!!!!!

I bet the gritters get fed up of these comments. Even if you grit the roads it takes a while to bed the grit in, this also needs cars and sat morning in this weather there are few. All main roads have been gritted

Some of us on here with a bit of intelligence get fed up with them too.

Thanks Pottedplant for the info and link - the PDF describes Crookes Road as being a secondary which means according to their own definition it should have been done within the 5 1/2 hours. Perhaps the waggons could just not get up the hill - I lived there for over 30 years so know how tricky it can be in winter.

Thanks again for the link and info.

Gritters aren't miracle workers ! Personally i think they've done a grand job, even though my road isn't clear.

This is exactly what I mean about Amey not being as good as the guys (possibly in house) that used to do the gritting.

The majority of the guys driving the gritting lorries are the ones

who did the job for SCC. Now managed by Amey.

But why do some roads and not others. We've had tractors with ploughs, gritters and gritters with ploughs. So Worrall to Hillsborough has had loads of attention. Why not touch Crookes at all?

It's a main route from Broomhill to Hillsborough. Makes little sense to me. Can we get anyone from amey to explain. To all the argument starters, yes it's one day (looks more likely to be three though) we all pay our taxes so why don't we get the same road clearing services?

...but THE main route from Broomhill to Hillsborough is Whitham Road / Netherthorpe Road / Penistone Road. During bad weather there will be fewer vehicles intending to travel. The intention is to initially concentrate on the main routes. Minor roads, including steep non-preferred routes between different areas should rightly be treated with less priority. Surely during bad weather it is sensible to use these better treated and generally less steep routes.

Maybe some of the gritting staff could not get to work.

Some people must think they live there!

The majority of the guys driving the gritting lorries are the ones

who did the job for SCC. Now managed by Amey.

I should have clarified what I meant:-

The guys at the wheel are stars, of that there is no doubt.

The management has changed however and no doubt have costing constraints placed upon them.

---------- Post added 23-03-2013 at 18:23 ----------

...but THE main route from Broomhill to Hillsborough is Whitham Road / Netherthorpe Road / Penistone Road. During bad weather there will be fewer vehicles intending to travel. The intention is to initially concentrate on the main routes. Minor roads, including steep non-preferred routes between different areas should rightly be treated with less priority. Surely during bad weather it is sensible to use these better treated and generally less steep routes.

I understand the logic of what you are saying even though is is half a mile longer. However, I am 60 years of age and lived at Crookes for 30 years until 6 years ago and the Crookes main road down to Hillsborough was ALWAYS gritted and I think people are moaning about the fact that for it NOT to be done is unusual. (not withstanding that the gritting website describes it as a secondary route). I did say in an earlier post that I thought it might be to do with the fact that the road is steep (or implied it in my earlier post)

---------- Post added 23-03-2013 at 18:24 ----------

Maybe some of the gritting staff could not get to work.

Some people must think they live there!

I'm sure they work nights (seriously). Perhaps this is another spending cut. They do a sterling job in any event.

I want to know why Greystones Road has been gritted up to the Greystones pub and no further you can see where the lorry turned round to go back down at the junction with Greysyones Drive. This is the second time this has happened this winter and yes it is a bus route

I would have thought any taxi driver who had snow tyres fitted would be making money hand over fist!

To be fair, most of the main roads are ok. I'm just stumped to why Crookes has been missed. It's a sheet of ice.