Getting into schools outside of catchment area?

Nonsense! How can you equate apartheid with religion? I look forward to your explanation.

thanks for this replie,it makes my blood boil when idiots say that there shouldnt be religious schools!why not ??if you go to church why not carry that ethos on and go to a church school? If you dont want your kids to go to a church school DONT SEND THEM SIMPLE AS

---------- Post added 03-05-2013 at 08:28 ----------

Any child can do just as well as any other child if the parents are also willing to put in time to educate their children out of school and not leave it up to the 'good' schools to educate them.

I went to City School a couple of decades ago and some of the kids eventually went on to oxford and cambridge..... the school wasnt particularly glowing like tapton..

Explain that!

I agree if the kids want to learn they will

---------- Post added 03-05-2013 at 08:37 ----------

One of the main reasons that kids in the 'better' areas achieve good results and have schools with good ofsted scores are that many parents often invest heavily in time and money to educate their kids out of school, therefore supplementing the curriculum and giving a false indication of the level of the school(s) abilities.

dont agree,these schools score better with ofsted because they are better school,and have better teaching.It makes their job a lot easier when all the kids want to learn .The head teacher at All saints has a lot to do with the day to day running of the school ,the kids respect senior teachers and have to stand up when the head walks in to the class room .at the end of the day these schools teach about respecting others and ones self thats why they are classed as out standing and if you took the time to read the ofsted report you would see how good this school is

---------- Post added 03-05-2013 at 08:40 ----------

Nope, your use of the word "snobby" to describe people who want a reasonable education for their kids shows your prejudice....as I said do you think school is the only place that kids mix?

well said trueman

---------- Post added 03-05-2013 at 08:45 ----------

You may be right..who knows..it's a brave parent that allows their children to be used as guinea pigs though... it only takes one disruptive pupil to cretae havoc in a classroom and stop all the others from getting the best from their school education...would a couple more "sensible" kids in the room actually make any difference?

yes it does i have seen this with my own eyes,there is good and bad kids in all schools its how you handle them that makes a diffrence,show them how they should act and believe me kids are quick learners

---------- Post added 03-05-2013 at 08:47 ----------

What planet are you from? It's not this one.

---------- Post added 27-03-2013 at 14:23 ----------

Planet Earth calling Stegwah.... that is a sentence full of tripe.

wrong! it does work as iv said iv seen it

Hi all.

This may be a silly question but do you ever get offered more than one school???

ie first choice and second choice.... also if i put the catchment school as a second choice but get refused our first choice would we then go to the bottom of the list behind the out of catchment applications who have put this school as their first choice request... (if this makes sense)

Priority for places is usually 1. looked after children (I.e kids in the care system) 2. Catchment/feeder schools 3. Siblings. The catholic schools have their additional criteria. The Education pages on the Sheffield Gov website will help you. Generally if you can't get a place at your first choice then they should try and allocate you a place at your second choice. If you put your catchment as third choice and they can't give you your first or second choice then you should get your catchment school. However if you don't put your catchment as one of your choices and they can't allocate a place at any of your preferred schools you may not get a place at your catchment school and may be offered a place at the school closest to you with a free place.

This is the time of year for Y6 parents to be going to open evenings at secondary schools ready to apply. Go to as many as you can to get a feel for things and look at online resources such as ofsted, league tables, etc but go visit the school and make your own mind up. There will be advisors from the Local Authority available at the open evenings.

And, if you're not keen on your catchment school but would be prepared to accept a place there instead of leaving it to chance then put your preferred schools in places 1 and 2 and your catchment in 3rd place.

If there's no way you want a place at your catchment school, don't put it on your application form. Cross everything you've got for a place at a preferred school and be ready to fight on appeal.

---------- Post added 14-09-2014 at 21:51 ----------

Oops... But you will only be offered a place at one school!

Good advice from Muddergoose - only thing to add is that children with special educational needs / disability are also at the top of the allocations list IF the school is listed as one that needs their specific learning / disability needs in the SEND documentation

Edited by bebopaloola

Nonsense! How can you equate apartheid with religion? I look forward to your explanation.

Of course it's apartheid. It's segregating and dividing children. Religion should be taught outside the school.

I will not fall to your standards though by calling your post nonsense.

Priority for places is usually 1. looked after children (I.e kids in the care system) 2. Catchment/feeder schools 3. Siblings. The catholic schools have their additional criteria. The Education pages on the Sheffield Gov website will help you. Generally if you can't get a place at your first choice then they should try and allocate you a place at your second choice. If you put your catchment as third choice and they can't give you your first or second choice then you should get your catchment school. However if you don't put your catchment as one of your choices and they can't allocate a place at any of your preferred schools you may not get a place at your catchment school and may be offered a place at the school closest to you with a free place.

This is the time of year for Y6 parents to be going to open evenings at secondary schools ready to apply. Go to as many as you can to get a feel for things and look at online resources such as ofsted, league tables, etc but go visit the school and make your own mind up. There will be advisors from the Local Authority available at the open evenings.

And, if you're not keen on your catchment school but would be prepared to accept a place there instead of leaving it to chance then put your preferred schools in places 1 and 2 and your catchment in 3rd place.

If there's no way you want a place at your catchment school, don't put it on your application form. Cross everything you've got for a place at a preferred school and be ready to fight on appeal.

---------- Post added 14-09-2014 at 21:51 ----------

If you don't put your catchment school down, and you do not get a place at your chosen school, you can be in danger of being put in another school a long way from your house.