Getting into schools outside of catchment area?

My point was school isnt the be all and end all of an education, and even some of the 'lesser' schools are very good at teaching. My main point was that parents are the key to a childs education with out of hours teaching etc. Expand their brain dont let them rot on the xbox or TV. A lot of parents move their children to 'better' schools in order to get a perceived better education then they come home and let them play call of duty for 6 hours.

I have a lot of gripes with the catchment system as a whole, from ruining areas, inflating house prices, division in society. it can all be solved with responsible parenting and by moving children to a school miles away isnt, in my own personal view. I realise some will do that, but each to their own on a personal level. On a social level then its wrong in my view.

My point was school isnt the be all and end all of an education, and even some of the 'lesser' schools are very good at teaching. My main point was that parents are the key to a childs education with out of hours teaching etc. Expand their brain dont let them rot on the xbox or TV. A lot of parents move their children to 'better' schools in order to get a perceived better education then they come home and let them play call of duty for 6 hours.

I have a lot of gripes with the catchment system as a whole, from ruining areas, inflating house prices, division in society. it can all be solved with responsible parenting and by moving children to a school miles away isnt, in my own personal view. I realise some will do that, but each to their own on a personal level. On a social level then its wrong in my view.

I can only speak from personal experience..our local secondary was in special measures..the next nearest got glowing reports...we opted to send our kids there..after an initial refusal we went to appeal and won...it was 3 miles away as the crow files..the area was very much the same as the one we lived in..not as though we'd gone across town from Pitsmoor to Ranmoor etc....the kids were from much the same sort of families as our area..the school just had a better ethos and that did reflect on the attitude of the children there..I'm not sure how this can be wrong on a social level..for the record, my two both have science degrees and are in relevant emplyment..not sure whether this would have happened had they gone to the local school..must be better socially for them to be working than to be on the dole as many of their "local" friends are..

.must be better socially for them to be working than to be on the dole as many of their "local" friends are..

Exactly, not only do bad kids rub off on good kids it works both ways. These kids who are now on the dole might not have ended up there if it wasnt for a few 'better kids' moving there.. and im in no way judging anyone for their decisions btw

Exactly, not only do bad kids rub off on good kids it works both ways. These kids who are now on the dole might not have ended up there if it wasnt for a few 'better kids' moving there.. and im in no way judging anyone for their decisions btw

You may be right..who knows..it's a brave parent that allows their children to be used as guinea pigs though... it only takes one disruptive pupil to cretae havoc in a classroom and stop all the others from getting the best from their school education...would a couple more "sensible" kids in the room actually make any difference?

You may be right..who knows..it's a brave parent that allows their children to be used as guinea pigs though... it only takes one disruptive pupil to cretae havoc in a classroom and stop all the others from getting the best from their school education...would a couple more "sensible" kids in the room actually make any difference?

I think so, a couple more sensible kids with morals to tell the disruptive kids to shut up maybe lol.

I think so, a couple more sensible kids with morals to tell the disruptive kids to shut up maybe lol.

Yeah that always ends well doesn't it... :)

What planet are you from? It's not this one.

---------- Post added 27-03-2013 at 14:23 ----------

Exactly, not only do bad kids rub off on good kids it works both ways.

Planet Earth calling Stegwah.... that is a sentence full of tripe.

For me this is purely about not wanting my child to go to a school that is failing badly and is clearly in trouble. I don't think many parents would want that for their children.

In my experience the more assertive motivated kids can exert a positive influence over the disruptive elements,although many reactionaries will dispute this.

---------- Post added 27-03-2013 at 16:44 ----------

What planet are you from? It's not this one.

---------- Post added 27-03-2013 at 14:23 ----------

Planet Earth calling Stegwah.... that is a sentence full of tripe.

Planet Earth to Irene Wilde-please desist from name-calling in class,and using silly terms instead of an informed comment.

Possible at all? also anyone knows what is the feeder schools for King Ecgbert School?

Possible?

Yes.

Feeders:

Dore

Lowfield

Sharrow

Totley

Totley All Saints

Edited by cgksheff

It is possible but you have to have good reason for the appeal.. with us it was cos we lived 0.1 miles from the door of the school and yet weren't in catchment.

I think CarterKnowle might be one..