Getting into schools outside of catchment area?

Hi, I wondered how likely it is to get into a school out of catchment area, we live in Springs catchment and definitely do not want our kids going there. I've read all the council info re admissions and applying for 3 schools/appeal process etc but wondered if anyone had experience of doing this?

The only chance you have imho is flit, your kids will be going there.

Only chance you have is if your nearest school is oversubscribed or your kid has special needs - sorry!

What you need to do is to explain that your child needs a solid christian ethos,which can be found in school X,but is absent from Springs.The school X could be All Saints which is quite close,or another school with a religious ethos.

It is possible , we did get offered our second choice few years ago which was not in catchment area as first choice that wasn't in catchment area either was over subscribed. It's worth taking into consideration if they have a sixth form too as they will normally get offered a place there first before external candidates. We are on a waiting list for sixth form along with 50 others due to over subscription. Only chance of getting a place is if the ones that have been given a conditional place don't achieve the required grades or appeal.

We have just successfully got our daughter into All Saints, we were told that as we are non Catholic, we would not stand a chance of getting her in there, her feeder school is Springs, we were determined that she would not be going there due to all the bad press and bad feedback. We filled the application very very early, 1st choice we put All saints, we gave very clear concise reasons as to why we wanted All Saints, treat the form like a job application, tell them all about your child's good points, hobbies etc, try to be different, not the standard hobbies like computer games/football etc, we told them how our daughter goes horse riding and that it has helped her to show respect to other peoples kit and how it helped gain her more confidence, and how to take more care and pride in her appearance when taking part in events etc. We also got letters of recommendations from her current headteacher, her youth club group leader and from the local pastor of the church group that she has attended for the last 4 years. Each 1 of these processes is a kind of test, the more you do the better your chances, we were told at the open day that all her paperwork was in order and that we really could not do any more short of fully converting to Catholicism. We were also told that last year over 400 children were applying for just 200 non Catholic places, and 200 is the maximum number of places on offer but each year more and more apply, and judging by the problems at Springs the number of applicants will go through the roof

Hi, I wondered how likely it is to get into a school out of catchment area, we live in Springs catchment and definitely do not want our kids going there. I've read all the council info re admissions and applying for 3 schools/appeal process etc but wondered if anyone had experience of doing this?

Hi I recently moved house and was turned down for all 3 catchment area schools and had to travel all the way back to thier old school every day, I put in my appeals and did not think I had any hope. 2 weeks before my appeals i got an offer from my 3rd choice, which by this time I really didnt want to take, but took it anyway as it was at least closer then the old one. They were only there 2 weeks until we won the one we wanted

I attended my appeal for the 1st choice and laid it all on really thick, told them many reason I was struggling, you have to have good reasons to win, it was in the town hall, with 4 people, all very posh looking but lovely, you have to first sit and listen to all the reasons you were refused a place then put you side across, then go away and wait, within an hour I had a call saying I had won, so it can work if you have genuine good reasons.

They have to decide if the hardship is worse on the children or the school having to take an extra child when its already full so you need to give a good case. It worked for me, I hope it does for you :) any questions inbox me x

sorry just seen you want them OUT or the catchment area, so you will deffo have to have good reason, not just that you dont want them there. I won due to even the 3rd choice being hard to get to. But bare in mind the offered school was in the catchment and they could have easily said no due the that but they didnt and allowed me to have my first choice x

I feel for you as there is nothing worse then having your kids in a school you do not like, just go for what you want and appeal if you dont get it, there is always a chance if you try, if you dont then your stuck.

Edited by lubylou12

move, or send them to a decent school out in the sticks. they sometimes don't fill up due to their geographical location. only problem then is getting them there. if you ring secondary admissions they can tell you which schools have spaces for next september.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

We have just successfully got our daughter into All Saints, we were told that as we are non Catholic, we would not stand a chance of getting her in there, her feeder school is Springs, we were determined that she would not be going there due to all the bad press and bad feedback. We filled the application very very early, 1st choice we put All saints, we gave very clear concise reasons as to why we wanted All Saints, treat the form like a job application, tell them all about your child's good points, hobbies etc, try to be different, not the standard hobbies like computer games/football etc, we told them how our daughter goes horse riding and that it has helped her to show respect to other peoples kit and how it helped gain her more confidence, and how to take more care and pride in her appearance when taking part in events etc. We also got letters of recommendations from her current headteacher, her youth club group leader and from the local pastor of the church group that she has attended for the last 4 years. Each 1 of these processes is a kind of test, the more you do the better your chances, we were told at the open day that all her paperwork was in order and that we really could not do any more short of fully converting to Catholicism. We were also told that last year over 400 children were applying for just 200 non Catholic places, and 200 is the maximum number of places on offer but each year more and more apply, and judging by the problems at Springs the number of applicants will go through the roof

There should be no religious schools of any description.

The system is a kind of apartheid that we all fought against in South Africa and America.

Research your schools carefully and perhaps look at those a little further away even under Derbyshire LA, there is at least one school in Derbyshire only a few miles from Springs that a lot of kids from the Springs catchment area go to. There is school transport there and back every day and it's a very good school with results comparable to several of the better schools in Sheffield. Just because a school is not in Sheffield LA it doesn't mean you can't put it on your application form. When you complete your application form put three schools in order of preference. Put together a strong case as to why each school is the right one for your child, some of the outcomes of Every Child Matters might help you build a good case as may references from your child's current school and activities outside of school as previously suggested. Be prepared for a fight, go to appeals if necessary and make sure you put a strong case forward as to why you want what you do for your child at every step of the way. Many parents go through this process every year for their child and it can be very, very tough but many do end up getting what they wanted in the end. Good luck!

Edited by Muddergoose

Do your kids want to go there though ? to be near local children for friendship , to able to walk to and from school, to be able to partake easily in after school activities, to not feel like the outsider in an out of catchment school?

There should be no religious schools of any description.

The system is a kind of apartheid that we all fought against in South Africa and America.

Nonsense! How can you equate apartheid with religion? I look forward to your explanation.