Sheffield Library - proposed closures

The main thing that lets Broomhill down is the state of the building. Plans have been in hand for several years to move it to other premises, but the Council now have the excuse to simply close it. (Thinks: I wonder how much they'll get for the site? Shades of the old Ecclesall Library...)

Look North said libraries would have to put in bid for the cash. I think the libraries were expected to run with volunteer staff for 31 hours per week.

The money on offer is very small compared with Council finances if it is spread over 3 years. Some people are saying it's a scheme to get the library campaigners to turn on each other to fight over the cash - up to now, the libraries have been campaigning to keep a proper network going.

And the Council isn't looking for volunteers to just staff the libraries: they will also be responsible for management of the service, which is a completely different responsibility.

"The money will be used to pay for running the premises including heating, lighting and other associated costs which volunteer groups wanting to run the libraries said they would struggle to meet. "

Nobody ever says where the books are to come from. At present the library stock is treated as a whole, so books are moved between libraries and to satisfy readers' requests. If library A is raising the funds to buy new books, are they going to be willing to lend them to readers at library B? Are the libraries still run by the Council going to lend to the independent ones? The Council say the independent libraries will have access to the libraries catalogue. But does that mean they'll have access to the books, or just be able to tell people which Council library to go to to borrow them?

I'm sorry but the latest offer of money is just a diversion to make residents think that the council is listening to them.

The council proposals had the options of hub libraries, fully staffed as now, community libraries with a substantial amount of council resources and professional library expertise promised, and independent libraries which were completely separate from the council, staffed by volunteers and reliant totally on income generated by volunteers or from the private sector.

There is no evidence that the independent model works, and the council admitted as such by stating that independent libraries were not really a viable model for Sheffield. I understand this was taken out of later council documents.

In my opinion this is a way for the council to wriggle out of being seen to close libraries, instead condemning them to a slow but inevitable death as money runs out and user numbers fall.

Edited by AnnaGrant

If this is a volunteered position, then I do wonder why there aren't more jobless people who actually step up the game and bid for the roles of running of these libraries and deal with managerial issues? As this could also enable a person to learn the organisational structure, the financing and the operational side of an entity. It could look good on a CV...

If this is a volunteered position, then I do wonder why there aren't more jobless people who actually step up the game and bid for the roles of running of these libraries and deal with managerial issues? As this could also enable a person to learn the organisational structure, the financing and the operational side of an entity. It could look good on a CV...

They'd probably get sanctioned for not being available to work if they were on JSA!

Like Olive says, they'd be at high risk of getting sanctioned (benefits stopped).

The jobcenter would prefer to see the jobless waste their time at A4E etc- it's got a track record of sanctioning those who do voluntary work off their own back, unless it's one of their own schemes.

Not sure about this. So one person is put on the dole, so another person on the dole can do it for free?

Once these libraries are closed they will not be reopened. So any skills learned (Dewy decimal system anybody) will be redundant anyway.