Sheffield Library - proposed closures

my understanding is the council will (may?) let the community run their local library

I am up for putting some time in to that

Just wonder what others thought?

Aren't you a bit late? Link

err, thanks for the link

having read it, mostly it is people grumbling about stuff

A proverb I like is "It is often better to light a candle than complain about the dark"

I want to do something, not grumble about it - so how do I do something ?

Edited by Skink

ok, grumbles and politics aside - lets suppose I am up for trying to help save our local library

how do you do that and who do you talk to?

err, thanks for the link

having read it, mostly it is people grumbling about stuff

A proverb I like is "It is often better to light a candle than complain about the dark"

I want to do something, not grumble about it - so how do I do something ?

It's just been in the Star cos the Council have only just announced which libraries are for the chop.

ok, grumbles and politics aside - lets suppose I am up for trying to help save our local library

how do you do that and who do you talk to?

Have a look at the link on post 45 for starters.

and part of the council info says they will be moving to volunteer run libraries for those closed

my reason for posting here was to find who was doing what - sounds like not much here on SF, will look to other info sources

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/dms/scc/management/corporate-communications/documents/leisure-culture/libraries-copyright/othersccdownloads/The-Future-of-Sheffield-s-Library-Service-Report/The%20Future%20of%20Sheffield_s%20Library%20Service%20Report.pdf

Edited by Skink
url wont attach

That's out of date now though. If you follow the link in post 45 on the other thread there's a list of who's applied to run which libraries.

and it was my understanding that the council to offer a better service were to close a substantial amount of libraries but saying that i bet theres only a small percentage of people that use them now days could it have something to do with the dumming down of society i wounder..

the document on the link is dated 13 Sept 2013, but not very informative

I will dig a little deeper

There is a petition that someone started to stop the Council closing Broomhill Library. Personally I think that the whole thing is disgusting. So many people use that place. Why would the council shut one of the libraries that people use the most????

The petition is on change.org - I hope as many people as possible will sign it.

I used to spend lots of time in the library when I was younger. Now I get it all online.

Must note that UK libraries tend to be like BBC, its OK but the real good stuff is not there.

There is a petition that someone started to stop the Council closing Broomhill Library. Personally I think that the whole thing is disgusting. So many people use that place. Why would the council shut one of the libraries that people use the most????

The petition is on change.org - I hope as many people as possible will sign it.

Grown men who fiddle with kids is "disgusting", closing a library isn't. Please get some perspective.

And can you prove your statement that this is one of the more popular libraries?