Sheffield Library - proposed closures

Good news for the 15 Libraries and very well done to the Sheffield folk who worked so hard to save them. You should be applauded.

Would anyone use the library if the council charged people to use them?

I doubt it.

Good news for the 15 Libraries and very well done to the Sheffield folk who worked so hard to save them. You should be applauded.

The link is here:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/sheffield-libraries-saved-from-closure-1-6745266

Well done to these groups and I very much hope that they are successful.

Would anyone use the library if the council charged people to use them?

I doubt it.

Participation figures in countries where there are subscription libraries are equal to or higher than they are here. That doesn't imply that the Brits would be similar, as they would have to get used to paying for the service, but it does indicate that it is possible.

Its a shame that so many people have to lose their jobs. (About 110 people apparently!)

By comparison, its going to take about 900 volunteers to do their jobs.

Of course, the fact that so many people are losing their jobs has been hushed up by your councillors!

They'll waffle on about early retirement, voluntary redundancy etc etc. but in reality, very few staff actually wanted to leave.

The Mobile service is closing after 52 years of service to the city. Some staff have worked for the service for 20, 25, 30 years.

Will anyone from the management or the councillors even say thank you?

What have you got to say Julie Dore, or Mazher Iqbal?

Don't hold your breath, waiting for an answer!

Participation figures in countries where there are subscription libraries are equal to or higher than they are here. That doesn't imply that the Brits would be similar, as they would have to get used to paying for the service, but it does indicate that it is possible.

Brits expect alot of public services to be free just like the NHS.

Be interesting to see how many of the libraries survive under community control.

Brits expect alot of public services to be free just like the NHS.

Not 'free' but 'free at the point of use'.

There is nothing new, try reading this:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=895677

I remember when the one on the Moor closed, I spent my money buying the non fiction book that had never gone out.

For over 20 years I have been a visiting member of an American library for which I pay $10's a year, I use it for almost a month a year and get very good value for my money.

According to the latest from the Council, the volunteers will have access to the library catalogue and computers. Will the volunteers be given training in their responsibilities under the data Protection Act, since they'll have access to the personal details of all library members, and their reading. Apparently one volunteer at Woodhouse is only 13. Is there a minimum age for accepting volunteers? The Council will be helping some libraries with cash to help fund buildings etc. What about books? If a volunteer library raises cash to buy books etc, will they be willing or required to loan them to meet requests at other libraries? Will they be able to levy their own fines at whatever rates they set?

It will be interesting to see how many are still running as libraries as opposed to community rooms with a few books in a year's time, and how many have closed as the volunteers drift away having realised what's involved.

According to the latest from the Council, the volunteers will have access to the library catalogue and computers. Will the volunteers be given training in their responsibilities under the data Protection Act, since they'll have access to the personal details of all library members, and their reading. Apparently one volunteer at Woodhouse is only 13. Is there a minimum age for accepting volunteers? The Council will be helping some libraries with cash to help fund buildings etc. What about books? If a volunteer library raises cash to buy books etc, will they be willing or required to loan them to meet requests at other libraries? Will they be able to levy their own fines at whatever rates they set?

It will be interesting to see how many are still running as libraries as opposed to community rooms with a few books in a year's time, and how many have closed as the volunteers drift away having realised what's involved.

I want to know I the volunteers will be required to have DBS (CRB) checks as they potentially could be working with young and vulnerable adults. If this is the case who will be paying for them?