Future of Waggon & Horses in Millhouses is secure

Months of speculation surrounding the future of one of Sheffield's most renowned pubs is at end thanks to a £350,000 joint investment from Pesto Restaurants & Spirit leased Pub Company.

Teams of trades people have been working round the clock to transform the Waggon & Horses on Abbeydale Road South in Millhouses into an Italian restaurant which is set to open early next month and create 30 new jobs.

This is the biggest overhaul of the premises for decades and secures the future of a business which has shut twice in the past year.

The historic building, which first started out in the catering business as far back as the 1920s when a tearooms was added to the existing garage to serve the adjacent Millhouses Park, is undergoing a complete refurbishment and extensive remedial works.

Pesto are set to introduce the city to a brand new Italian dining concept - 'piattini'; which simply translates to 'small plate'. The popular Waggon & Horses name will be retained.

The company, which is the brainchild of Neil Gatt and Sara Edwards, prides itself on value for money, family friendly dining.

Pesto are looking forward to being a valued and popular part of the community.

Neil Gatt said: "We both hate being ripped off in restaurants who charge fancy prices but don’t deliver fancy food and service.

“At Pesto, we aim to give our customers great value for money by producing freshly cooked food, informal but efficient service in a warm relaxed atmosphere”.

Pesto has evolved out of the couple's love for Italian food, but just not in traditionally monstrous portions.

Sara Edwards said: “I just find one big plate of pasta too much and a little boring once you’re half way through it – the same goes for big pizzas.

“With Pesto you can order 5 or 6 dishes between the two of you and enjoy a selection of different tastes in one lunch."

The Waggon & Horses will be the ninth Pesto restaurant to open in the country; the first was unveiled in Manchester in 2006.

The origins of the Abbeydale Road South building actually started out as a pre-19th century farmhouse. The actual date it was built is unknown.

Waggon & Horses is situated at 57, Abbeydale Road South, Millhouses, Sheffield S7.

More information from http://www.pestoresturants.co.uk

A shame it couldn`t remain a pub but it did need investment. Ought to have been an ideal pitch near the park. I bet Thornbridge had a look before opting for The Beauchief.

Take your point. I've been living nearby for a long time and it has been sad to see such a gorgeous building in darkness for such a long time.

When it has been open as a pub in recent month very few people have going in - there was no way it was a viable business.

It has been suffering under investment for a long time.

To see that amount of money being invested in it is fantastic. I can't wait to see it reopened.

I have said for years that it needed this sort of investment and bringing 30 jobs to the area is an added bonus. I will certainly give it a try, and by the look of it you can still pop in for a pint. ;)

It is good to see some new investment in this great building. Lets hope that another Italian themed eaterie with two other Italians nearby does well...Good luck Pesto

There are two Pesto restaurants in Manchester, one on Deansgate and one in the Trafford Centre. To survive there long you have to be pretty good, so I have high hopes for this place.

The menu looks really nice and I like the idea. I'll give it a go definitely.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I have said for years that it needed this sort of investment and bringing 30 jobs to the area is an added bonus. I will certainly give it a try, and by the look of it you can still pop in for a pint. ;)

How many restaurants can you pop into for a pint really though?

It's good that someone is going to be using the building, although I'm not sure about ANOTHER Italian restaurant in Millhouses. There are already two Italian restaurants which are a stones-throw from the Waggon and Horses. Both La Scala and Marco @ Milano's are just a bit further down Abbeydale Road. A business that did Asian cuisine might be more viable for the area.

Must admit, I thought it might end up as a curry shop!

It's good that someone is going to be using the building, although I'm not sure about ANOTHER Italian restaurant in Millhouses. There are already two Italian restaurants which are a stones-throw from the Waggon and Horses. Both La Scala and Marco @ Milano's are just a bit further down Abbeydale Road. A business that did Asian cuisine might be more viable for the area.

I suspect this one may be a bit more family friendly. That said, La Scala have recently offered up a kids menu according to the signs outside.