Weekly earnings in late 60's.

started work 1957 age 15 at sam fox stocksbridge £2/17/6p a week mum took 7shillings & 6pence for my board .

worked as an aprentice Brickie on Norfolk park, arond £7 a week wages in 1966 used to drink in Forty Foot, one and ten a pint, a quid got you 10 pints, beer wer one and eleven in best room, 5 pints a Ted's ale and you'd restle Tigers. Still on go is old Ted Nutthall, Happy times.

My first job was as a office junior at Sheffield Chamaber of Commerce which, in those days, was situated on the top floor of the Cutlers Hall. My first wage was £4/10/00 and I was allowed to keep the first one which I blew on clothes from C & A. The year was 1966 and I bought a purple skinny rib jumper, purple mini skirt, purple tights and purple suede shoes. I thought I was the bees knees and went to work in my new outfit. My boss who frequently had the Lord Mayor and Master Cutler dropping in, sent a letter home to my mother asking if I could tone it down a bit. :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Tha must ev looked like a plum Lin, you young hussie you! Did you go to Etams?

I earned £3/10s a week whilst a trainee beauty consultant for Boots Chemists, High Street in 1965 and that was with 'O' Levels.

Tha must ev looked like a plum Lin, you young hussie you! Did you go to Etams?

I earned £3/10s a week whilst a trainee beauty consultant for Boots Chemists, High Street in 1965 and that was with 'O' Levels.

nayow, C & A and I followed being a mod by being a Flower child but got a new job by then:hihi::hihi::hihi:

started work in 1961 as a barra lad in the old castlefolds wholesale fruit and veg market,six day week,£3/3/9,take home pay,but we got good tips and they could easily double our wages,very hard work though,good days.:thumbsup:

Around 1965 I got £3-2-6 as an apprentice engineer at WT Avery and then £6-15-0 as an apprentice bricklayer at Ackroyd and Abbots.

I also remember whilst in the army in Germany in 1970ish single men's wages were increased in line with those of married men.

started in 1965 at walter fox and partners apprentice panel beater on suffolk rd sheffield £3 .50 pence or £3/10 shillings a week .that was plenty,always had money to spend.Went out most nights.Must admit I had a daft mum as paying board was concerned. She let me off most weeks.

I got £7 per week for my first job in London in the early 60's.

Did not think it was great but it looks good in comparison to others.

Maybe the money was much better in the big smoke city (as it was then).

When I left school in 1958 my memory is a little vague but I think it was around £8 a week,this was handed over to my ma who unbeknown to "Attila the Hun"my father gave most of it back to me in dribs and drabs depending how good the hard luck story I concocted was!.She was always soft as a brush with me right up to me leaving home in my 20s,even our old boy who was a right hard man to get along with helped me financially.He loaned me the cash to buy a new mini in 1962 and let me pay him back £10 a week,by that time I was on £20 a week,he did the same in 1964 when I purchased a new VW Beetle,he never took a penny interest I paid him back in full,he saved me £s in interest not having hire purchase!.:love::hihi:

Left school in 1951 first job £1-10 -oo per week 48 hrs

1953 £2 per week van boy again 48 hrs

R.A.F 1954 ( 3 yr man) £3- 6 shillings, if i remember a n/s man recieved £1- 8 shillings

1957 Sheffield bus conductor £9 -10 shilling 48 hr week over 7 days, weeks about , Mornings 3-30 start , afters 2-00 while midnight this also included sat - sun working.

!964 went to work for a security firm , weeks about . Day week carring cash 5 shillings per hour , Nights patroling buildings and firms ( Wait for it) 4 shillings and 11 pence , But due to the hours we were rich. Boss once asked me if i had enjoyed my rest one week as my time sheet was only fo 72 hrs

!968 I was put on salery staff , £ 1000 per year . and was given a pay rise when a London boss came to our depot and was told I had just got married and he gave me a rise of £25 per year, I was rich

Best wage I ever had was 2 years before i retired and was on £13000 per yr

1965,£2-1s-6p apprentice mechanic.My bests pal was a van lad for Sunblest bakery at the same time & was getting £9-00 per week :confused: needless to say,I didn't finish my apprenticeship.Very poor money,even the foreman mechanic was only on 14 guineas' a week.

I started work in 1969, as a GPO telephonist, and earned £6 per week, remember having to que up for it on Friday afternoon, and get six £1 notes in a little crinkly see through envelope.

So it was £2 for me £2 for my mum, and £2 saved for clothes etc.