Your Views On Saint George's Day? Will You Celebrate?

Don't celebrate any saints' days, whether that's George, Patrick or Cecilia (22nd November, for those desperate to celebrate music!).

I know what you mean ,leaping up and down and waving my knickers in the air has never appealed to me either

Is this day just for UKipper nutters or for all of us? The media never give it much coverage. And stuff.

In honour of St. George I shall be eating Moussaka and smashing a few plates. Preferably in that order.

(Although his birthplace, Cappadocia, was Greek, it is now in Turkey, so maybe some kebabs might be in order?)

Which are more numerous, snakes or dragons?

I rest my case.

Oh come on most married men, have got a dragon :hihi:

---------- Post added 22-03-2013 at 18:53 ----------

Don't celebrate any saints' days, whether that's George, Patrick or Cecilia (22nd November, for those desperate to celebrate music!).

TBH Medusa just nice to see it recognised really, as it seems to come in as the poor relation of all the others & it's our national Saint.

Is this day just for UKipper nutters or for all of us? The media never give it much coverage. And stuff.

I will add misery to your already sad existence by saying 'no'. I don't celebrate St George's Day because it feels so contrived.

I might go for a ruby though then come home and listen to the Concert For Bangladesh (or Hatful of Hollow).

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

St George.

An early Greek 'Crocodile Dundee' who never went anywhere near England.

Given the job by Edward lll (who presumably liked the story.)

(I wonder what St Alban did to upset Edward?)

You forgot the EDL and other rightwing nutters. Strange to think they support a day in celebration of somebody who wasn't even English, but hey ho.

You forgot the EDL and other rightwing nutters. Strange to think they support a day in celebration of somebody who wasn't even English, but hey ho.

That's because right ringers are dopes. Really - think about it, all the best peeps in the world are left wing. Apart from Roy 'I have a seat next to Milan' Splatterbys.

As an atheist, I don't celebrate any saints, but I would agree that despite the antiquity from the 14th century, there is nothing intrinsic in the story of St George to link him with England, and nothing to make him a religious representative of the national spirit. There are a number of saints who have a greater claim. St Alban may have been the first Christian martyr in these islands, but that was during the Romano-British period before the Anglo-saxons became the dominant occupiers of the country. I would propose Edmund King and martyr as a fitting character (c.841-869) as having been killed by the invading Danes, and already having a cult as the patron saint of England before the takeover by George. According to the hagiography, he was beheaded but the head was found by a wolf leading people to it. The Victorian roof of the surviving timber Anglo-Saxon church at Greensted in Essex depicts this miracle, made during the restoration of the 1840s.

As an atheist, I don't celebrate any saints, but I would agree that despite the antiquity from the 14th century, there is nothing intrinsic in the story of St George to link him with England, and nothing to make him a religious representative of the national spirit. There are a number of saints who have a greater claim. St Alban may have been the first Christian martyr in these islands, but that was during the Romano-British period before the Anglo-saxons became the dominant occupiers of the country. I would propose Edmund King and martyr as a fitting character (c.841-869) as having been killed by the invading Danes, and already having a cult as the patron saint of England before the takeover by George. According to the hagiography, he was beheaded but the head was found by a wolf leading people to it. The Victorian roof of the surviving timber Anglo-Saxon church at Greensted in Essex depicts this miracle, made during the restoration of the 1840s.

You sound posh.

You sound posh.

No, just better informed and not given to personal insult...

Which are more numerous, snakes or dragons?

I rest my case.

Surely this just proves that Patrick was rubbish at killing snakes, where as George wiped out the dragons.

Im going to burn some st george's flags and poppy's with the immigrants