Park Hill Rentals: What do you think?

My Dad has lived on Park-hill for 35 yrs and is still there, and we have looked at the newly refurbished flats and they are diabolical, they should never have moved all the people out of them and just refurbished them all. All the homeless people in Sheffield...A real shame...My dad lives in a 2 bed roomed flat and now he is forced to move they are offering him a one bed roomed Flat....Sheffield council are a total disgrace and dont care about the people that were born here, this is no longer the City i remember ...It's just to make some property developers money...Shocking (JUST ASK THE PEOPLE THAT ARE STILL ON THE PARK HILL)

My Dad has lived on Park-hill for 35 yrs and is still there, and we have looked at the newly refurbished flats and they are diabolical, they should never have moved all the people out of them and just refurbished them all. All the homeless people in Sheffield...A real shame...My dad lives in a 2 bed roomed flat and now he is forced to move they are offering him a one bed roomed Flat....Sheffield council are a total disgrace and dont care about the people that were born here, this is no longer the City i remember ...It's just to make some property developers money...Shocking (JUST ASK THE PEOPLE THAT ARE STILL ON THE PARK HILL)

Hasn't your dad been offered the chance to stay on in Parkhill? I thought existing residents who wanted a flat there would get one. However, without knowing his circumstances its difficult to know why he's been told he can only have a one bedroomed flat.

The lettings policy is quite clear that anyone moving because of clearance or demolition should be able to have a similar sized property - has your dad been told he's got to move? If so, perhaps he needs to ask why he's not being given the option of the same sized property.

If you are given demolition priority and you are currently the tenant of a 2 or 3 bedroom house you can be offered another house with the same number of bedrooms as (or fewer bedrooms than) your current home, even if your household does not meet the minimum household size rules in the table at the end of section D.

http://www.sheffieldpropertyshop.org.uk/resources/Lettings%20Policy%20document.pdf?ID=20CC4CEBB9B24F9E92C26E868C63D8B2

---------- Post added 25-03-2013 at 18:24 ----------

In the late 80s early 90s, they where a nice place to live, people used to stand on the landings even late at night chatting and having a drink together,

it was a safe nice place to live,

in the mid to late 90s and onward, they used parkhill as a place to put alot of young people on and council evictee's,it became rife with druggies and alot of burgalaries was happening, could not even trust your nieghbours at that point,

respect for the area was lost, urinating in lifts on stairways,they really became the last place you wanted to live, But, i think i would move back if given the oppertunity, but i cant afford the prices advertised,

---------- Post added 23-03-2013 at 18:30 ----------

http://www.bbc.co.uk/southyorkshire/content/articles/2007/12/31/park_hill_memoryshare_feature.shtml

http://ourtrueintent.com/?p=348

http://www.yfaonline.com/film/environmental-health-part-park-hill-slums-1-5

just afew links to do with Parkhill, a little bit about the past, there's also a sectoin in Weston Park museum about the flats

The links are fantastic. However, as an ex housing worker I'd like to point out that some estates like Parkhill weren't exactly in demand by the 90s. People's aspirations have been changing rapidly since the 70s, and with the advent of Right to Buy, demand for family houses went up, and went down proportionally for maisonettes and flats. Councils didn't decide to put bad tenants into hand picked areas, they had to use the resources they had. That meant the people with the most choice (points in those days) picked other places, and it was mainly people who needed housing quickly who went to Parkhill.

By the early 2000s many empty flats in Parkhill were being leased by the government as temporary housing for asylum seekers, but more were becoming empty. The council looked for partners who could upgrade the flats and try and make the area desirable again. What should they have done? Left the flats to deteriorate further, they couldn't knock them down due to them being listed.

If it all goes to plan, I reckon it will be a great community, with everything on their doorstep just as it was planned when it was built. I'd imagine the cost of security will be factored in this time to stop any vandalism.

I thought your Dad would be offered to place in the new bit? Due to how long he as lived in parkhill. Dad Just moved back park hill as social tenant and as not live in park hill for over 10 years. But had long tenancy agreement back then (not many people had) and only move away due to living in first block getting refurbishment. also your Dad would of been warned 10 years you will have move some point.

To the op I try not let people views put you of Park hill and take look for you self to see what you think =). I've just been living there for about 3 weeks now and it great. The houses very spacious, open living and kitchen areas. Only five minutes away from train station, bus station and city centre.

know one just walk in building! 24 CCTV. also security guard round at night.

Never in million years did I think I would move back here. But happy that my dad got offered a place :D

It sounds more like pakrhurst than parkhill. when does the slopping out happen?:hihi:

I'm glad you are living happily at Park Hill now, Pat. And your father, too. It does sound good for so many reasons - just as you have said.

We will look carefully at Park Hill, bearing in mind all that has been said. The Urban Splash online brochure does make it look so beautiful. Thanks again, all, for your thoughtful land useful input!

Hi all

Thanks for the reply's, however the reason my Dad would not be suitable for the new flats is because he is disabled and he can not manage stairs.. He really struggles in the flat he lives in now..I am not sure if i made my self clear, we have bid on two, 2 X bedroom bungalows and not got them because the Sheffield councils says he is only eligible for a 2 bedroom flat or a one bedroom bungalow. I really do think the Sheffield council policy stinks. He's been a tenant for 40+ years with the Sheffield council, and he is being asked to leave his home as you can imagine at 75 and with his disabillity things are difficult enough all he wants is to live the rest of his life hassle free and live where he wants to live and not someone telling him he only has options that the Sheffield council are giving him.the thought of him having to move is bad enough for him...Anyway like i said thanks for reading and i will keep you all up to date when he eventually moves..

:confused::(

Thanks for all the input.

I visited Sheffield last week and found a great 2 bedroom flat just off Ecclesall Road. While the Park Hill flats were gorgeous design-wise, we preferred the livelier Ecclesall Road area. Just thought I'd update you and thank you for all your thoughtful input!

Ethel