Anyone on here go to Ecclesfield Comprehensive School?

Would this be the Miss Bennet who was Headmistress at the old Bracken Hill School [across the road from Acorn Inn on Burncross]? She used to [attempt] to teach us French. This would have been 1961. Bracken Hill was an annexe for Greengate lane school. Your first year was spent at Bracken Hill. A Mr Battye was there as well, a bit of a prat who used to hit kids on the head with Bibles. Games teacher was Mr Greeves, he used to drive a Jowett Javelin. A very distinctive car.

Memory being stretched to the limits.

I left in 1974 and I cant find any pictures at all from that year Im so gutted!!!

I was 1969 to 1975

It was Ma Heaton who called all the girls slags and tarts. Miss Woods was massive in my eyes. There were a strange collection of old school masters and new wave teachers. Daz Smith was special, but Malham was a full weight b******.

Science was Muff Potter, Mr T Smith and Mr Mellor and Harry Ridge who dropped half an ounce of pottassium in the water dish and it exploded onto the ceiling and just stuck there until it burned out. Another time Mr Mellor "missed" about 2 metres of magnesium ribbon which looked really pretty under the science block stairs when we set it alight.

Maths was Mrs Kunce and a Mr Williams, a big bloke who broke his nose playing against the Rugger first XV.....he heh.

Er, anyway

English was Howarth, he read some pretty dreary stuff and a really tiny woman who wore long skirts. Oh, and old Ma Gradden, who was quite prim and proper in a nice orderly way.

Geography was Yates (git), then Hedley Knibbs then Birkby fine tuned me into an O level.

History was Wing Nut Anderson who was infact a really nice guy.

My German tutor was Herr Shaddock and he would froth at the mouth when he got excited.

Nuff........too much....

We had a betting scam going under the science block stairs for the Wacky races.

My favourite was Bernie Middleton the woodwork teacher, I last saw him at Ladybower fishing and he told me he had one year to live due to inhaling wood dust for 40 years.

God, I could go on for ages...........

Oh, forgot, Games: Mike Cordon, top man, Mr Moss was the original "Casper, you moved, stand still when I take a penalty" but I think Mr Buck the maths teacher was the original model for Brian Glover's character in Kes. Mr Glen was not a nice person. I once sat the whole of the double French lesson after double games in the morning on a freezing cold winters day, with an imprint of the adaptor of a mitre ball at the side of my head, courtesy of a Mr Glen free kick from 2 yards away. I'd swing for him today as old as me might be, the b****d!

i was there from 69 to 74 and every word youve said is spot on, nice one.

sycamore i was there same time as you i did russian with mr macdonald he was like 7 ft tall - do u remember him, i think i ended up in 5c2 or summat - u?

sycamore i was there same time as you i did russian with mr macdonald he was like 7 ft tall - do u remember him, i think i ended up in 5c2 or summat - u?

hi sheffsand. sorry i dont remember him & i definitly didnt do russian,only did french and i cant remember that teachers name either, mind you i hated french anyway.my best teacher would have been josh king,i still enjoy history and archeolagy to this day. my forms were 1p...2p...3n...4n...and 5r.

I went to Ecclesfield from 1965-1972; in the Jennings/Jennet/Heaton era. I actually enjoyed my time there mostly - give or take a caning or two.

I went on to be a primary school teacher Almondbury in Huddersfield for thirty years and have recently discovered that the Deputy Head of Almondbury High, Mick Nolan, has now become the Head of Ecclesfield.

Most painful memory - being straight arm tackled and breaking my nose whilst playing rugby against Wath Comprehensive.

sycamore - my name is Chris Sanderson, my bro was Steven and we lived in Deepcar then do you remember me? my best mate was Michael Ward from Grenoside then - his nickname was Lop - mine was little sandy LOL

sycamore - my name is Chris Sanderson, my bro was Steven and we lived in Deepcar then do you remember me? my best mate was Michael Ward from Grenoside then - his nickname was Lop - mine was little sandy LOL

h sheffsand, i do know a steven sanderson, but i think he is a couple of years younger than me ,and he lived on primrose drive in ecclesfield.my name is ian ward,i used to hang around with mark jenkinson and paul ronksley.

I was at ecco, left in 1989 (I think) upper 6th. Recognise a lot of the teachers names above. Now living in australia and loving it. How is sheffield these day???

Elliott Dawson.

sheffsand Did you leave in 1977

no i left in 1974 - i remember Mark Jenkinson if its the same one - we used to be scared of him LOL

Does anyone remember when the horse took a running jump off the top of Hunshelf Quarry? 1976ish, I think? The teachers wouldn't let us near to get an eyefull!

Edited by kev21662
Spelling