Anyone on here go to Ecclesfield Comprehensive School?

also rememer if you caught the train someone would pull the communication cord halfway between elsecar and chap, then you would be stuck for an hour until the transport police arrived.

I went to Ecclesfield Secondary Modern School on High Street. The headmaster was Mr Brooke. Neville Chatterton was a teacher there. I left in July 1957.

I never went from school, it must have been about 1978 the one and only time I went to the Birdcage. Did they have fake palm trees around the place ?

I recall once going to the birdcage about the same time, we pulled up outside only to be greeted by a near riot going on. so we went back into hoyland and went in the gate, and guess what.......they were fighting in there as well, bit like a wild west town:hihi::hihi:

I recall once going to the birdcage about the same time, we pulled up outside only to be greeted by a near riot going on. so we went back into hoyland and went in the gate, and guess what.......they were fighting in there as well, bit like a wild west town:hihi::hihi:

Wasn't there a no go pub called the Jockey (?) nearby. If they found out you were from Chap it was jackets off immediately.

Obviously before you're time. Mature students rule ok!

Anyone go to those crazy school parties held at a The Birdcage in Hoyland ? Early mid 70's

I was there ......

my form teacher was danny williams and maths teacher too, josh King, what a character, heard he was killed in a motorbike accident :(

mr jennet, how strict was he, he was the only teacher that when he was teaching us you could here a pin drop in the room, no one dare breath :hihi:

and ours one of the unruliest classes in the school too:o

could do with more like him these days :roll:

Can anyone verify Mr. King was killed in a motor cycle accident, he taught a motorcycle safety course when I was there and was always going on about safety ..... before he cracked you behind your ear

Wasn't there a no go pub called the Jockey (?) nearby. If they found out you were from Chap it was jackets off immediately.

There was The 'Turf ' pub at Hoyland ( just behind the market place ) could that be the one you were thinking of ? ( it was later known as The Kestrel ) ...had some good nights in there in t' mid 70's...:hihi:

There was The 'Turf ' pub at Hoyland ( just behind the market place ) could that be the one you were thinking of ? ( it was later known as The Kestrel ) ...had some good nights in there in t' mid 70's...:hihi:

eyup mate, used to go in olivers ale house most friday nights in mid 70,s. a pint or ten of mewcastle exhibition :love: then round the corner to one of the best chip oils around at that time..........higgs fisheries.:love::love:

eyup mate, used to go in olivers ale house most friday nights in mid 70,s. a pint or ten of mewcastle exhibition :love: then round the corner to one of the best chip oils around at that time..........higgs fisheries.:love::love:

Eighup Syca, Olivers was a great Rock / Bikers pub , same as the Gardeners Arms...Olivers has been called Porters for a number of years , but sadly the Gardeners is no more , it was demolished around the end of May ..:o ( i used to go in t' Gardeners when i was 17 ...40 years ago :huh::hihi:)

Eighup Syca, Olivers was a great Rock / Bikers pub , same as the Gardeners Arms...Olivers has been called Porters for a number of years , but sadly the Gardeners is no more , it was demolished around the end of May ..:o ( i used to go in t' Gardeners when i was 17 ...40 years ago :huh::hihi:)

well mate ive just been on google earth and i see that higgs fisheries is no more, time to get my black arm band out. is the catholic club up the road still going? i drank my first gallon in there aged 17, much to the annoyance of the older lads in the brass band, including your uncle tommy no doubt. mind you we did have an important contest in halifax the following day.

well mate ive just been on google earth and i see that higgs fisheries is no more, time to get my black arm band out. is the catholic club up the road still going? i drank my first gallon in there aged 17, much to the annoyance of the older lads in the brass band, including your uncle tommy no doubt. mind you we did have an important contest in halifax the following day.

Eighup Syca , Higg's is now a cafe / fast food joint ,an' i far as i know t'Catholic club's still open , as for mi' uncle Tommy , he's still alive n' kickin ( 93 no )....