Franklins bed shop Sheffield

During the time I was there they had just shut the shop at the bottom of ecclesall road and were in the process of opening a new showroom opposite the carpet place

Was little Irish Pat there when you were, he was boss of the carpet fitters, brilliant bloke.

My in-laws worked there, before the war.

Ma-in-law in bookkeeping, Pa-in-law in carpet cleaning. He was injured when the machine was turned on.

I've been wondering what happened to their archives.

Granma.

Was little Irish Pat there when you were, he was boss of the carpet fitters, brilliant bloke.

Yes he was. I went out with the fitters a few times. I was a carpet fitter but couldn't find work as one so they had me doing all sorts as well as taking carpets up from houses that were flood damaged

Yes he was. I went out with the fitters a few times. I was a carpet fitter but couldn't find work as one so they had me doing all sorts as well as taking carpets up from houses that were flood damaged

I used to see him regularly at the Lane, he was a bang on Blade

On 21/03/2013 at 18:36, Granma said:

My in-laws worked there, before the war.

Ma-in-law in bookkeeping, Pa-in-law in carpet cleaning. He was injured when the machine was turned on.

I've been wondering what happened to their archives.

Granma.

Hi Granma,

I'm researching my family history - I believe my mother's cousin worked at Franklin's for many years.

I only have her first name: Rene - she was originally a Gill, I don't know her married name - or even if she was married?

She would be most likely be working there during wartime.

I've just learnt that she and her brother and sister spent some time in the Ecclesall Brierley workhouse - but were later with the parents at Norton Lees Road.

Did you ever find what happened to their archives?

There's nothing in Sheffield Archives.

It seems they have moved:

Address: 457 Abbeydale Rd, Sheffield S7 1FS

Phone:0114 268 6161

You could try approaching them.

Say you are writing a history?

That's a good idea anyway.

we bought our first bed there - bottom of Ecclesall Road in 1967 - we were very embarrassed when the assistant said we should get on the bed and test it!!!