What do you hate about Sheffield?

the ugly, uneducated, common people!

surely that's what we built Rotherham/Doncaster/Chesterfield for!

Just remind me how many blue chip companies have a presence in the centre of chesterfield? How many major financial, legal and government departments are present there? How many major retailers and large department stores are there? Which top level educational establishments are there. How many significant teaching hospitals and research centres are there? How many advanced manufacturing and major industrial companies are there? How many major entertainment venues?

What a stupid comparator.

People dont come to the city just to shop!! "Sheffield" is not a bloody shopping mall.

Who gives a toss if they offer free parking or not. Im getting sick to death of the same whinging every time. There is plenty of cheap parking around for those who can be arsed to locate it. There is also free parking all over the place after 6.30pm each day. We ARE getting a new market - its being built right now. We ARE getting a nice new shopping area its in progress for redevelopment now.

We also have a damn sight more commerical viability and interest than Chesterfield ever will.

What is wrong with some people :roll: Go live there if you think its so brilliant.

have you answered you own question then ? surely if were attracting blue chip companies our city centre shopping and leisure facilities should be alot better when places like chesterfield offer more variety surely thats a wake up call . so your not bothered paying crazy prices for parking then the argument is flawed on every point.

Speed cameras, traffic lights and a council as progressive as the Roman Catholic Church

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

have you answered you own question then ? surely if were attracting blue chip companies our city centre shopping and leisure facilities should be alot better when places like chesterfield offer more variety surely thats a wake up call . so your not bothered paying crazy prices for parking then the argument is flawed on every point.

More variety? What exactly has Chesterfield got that we have not?

God sake - what exactly is your issue that would in your opinion make sheffield "a lot better" what specifically is wrong with it?

Before you answer with obvious predictable whinge lets get this stright.... two certain parts of the city are looking a bit shabby. However, both are going to be under redevelopment. Lets also not forget that every city and town in the country has one or two areas which are shabby and run down otherwise a place would never evolve. It cant all be new and shiny 100% of the time.

Now I admit our shopping is not like it was but its now a work in progress and we still have a damn sight bigger retailers and several major department stores that Chesterfield will never get.

As for leisure - are you kidding? We have never had so many leisure facilities. Largest theatre complex outside London, several major sports centres, masses of parkland, 4 major music venues, two large public squares for drinking and dining and two major bar/nightclub strips.

As for your comments regards "crazy" prices I really dont think you have a clue. What exactly do you consider "crazy" for a prime parking spot in the middle of a major city at peak hour?? I have told you, there are plenty of opportunities for cheap and free parking all over the city - if you choose to seek them out. If you cant be bothered and insist on parking right next door to the shops then you expect to pay. Some of the car parks in your beloved Chesterfield charge up to £10.80 per day for parking - not exactly a steal.

Have you seen what other cities charge for parking? We are quite reasonable in comparison to places like Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham, Nottingham.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Nothing... We have 6 of the best hospitals in the country I don't know many cities that have this. We are one of the top cities for health care. We have 2 football teams (this generates money to the city every Saturday) and at some point both teams have been very successful, we have a huge shopping centre we have crime rates yes but not as bad as some places, we are up north thats always a bonus lol. Sheffield is famed for many things like steel, the full monty, Jessica eniss, Michael Vaughan, sir Robert winston... So don't dwell on what u don't like but embrace what you do like! I just miss a good night club... Bring back republic lol!

Hate is a too strong word. There are many things i don't like in sheffield but the things i do like outweigh the things i don't.

More variety? What exactly has Chesterfield got that we have not?

God sake - what exactly is your issue that would in your opinion make sheffield "a lot better" what specifically is wrong with it?

Before you answer with obvious predictable whinge lets get this stright.... two certain parts of the city are looking a bit shabby. However, both are going to be under redevelopment. Lets also not forget that every city and town in the country has one or two areas which are shabby and run down otherwise a place would never evolve. It cant all be new and shiny 100% of the time.

Now I admit our shopping is not like it was but its now a work in progress and we still have a damn sight bigger retailers and several major department stores that Chesterfield will never get.

As for leisure - are you kidding? We have never had so many leisure facilities. Largest theatre complex outside London, several major sports centres, masses of parkland, 4 major music venues, two large public squares for drinking and dining and two major bar/nightclub strips.

As for your comments regards "crazy" prices I really dont think you have a clue. What exactly do you consider "crazy" for a prime parking spot in the middle of a major city at peak hour?? I have told you, there are plenty of opportunities for cheap and free parking all over the city - if you choose to seek them out. If you cant be bothered and insist on parking right next door to the shops then you expect to pay. Some of the car parks in your beloved Chesterfield charge up to £10.80 per day for parking - not exactly a steal.

Have you seen what other cities charge for parking? We are quite reasonable in comparison to places like Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham, Nottingham.

were talking about the city centre chesterfield is a lot cheaper see the thread on the lyceum parking 11 pound for 3 hours ? work in progress well how long does it have to be to be a work in progress . so your telling me the shops in chesterfield arent better they dont have a john lewis probably thats it what they dont have unless you go to meadowhall sheffield shopping is shocking . The council should have some balls and tell Hammerson to run to leeds and take the sevenstone off them and get a developer who wants to work in the city shops are crying out to come to sheffield but there is not the space at present .

In answer to Ecconoob ,some of the comments that you put down are true but I have no doubt that the likes of yourself by the sound of it can afford to pay £10.00 or more per hr to park your Jaguar or something of the same ilk ,but most people cannot ,they want to come to town park for a couple of hrs and not get fleeced by car parking charges ,as regards to Chesterfield ,it may not have blue chip companies as you like to say (it sounds like you are part of the blue chip company brigade),but its a far more pleasant place to walk round without being accosted by the ,Big issue scum, the scum bags that hang around the market area ,the drunks that hang around the peace gardens ,the survey people in Fargate trying to stop everyone ,As for the run down part of town .please explain how long does it take to regenerate a city because it seems to be takeing rather a long time to put some order back into Sheffield ,its being ongoing for the last 4/5 yrs now without any improvment,in fact there are more shops boarded up now than ever before

the problem is sheffield doesnt have the big city feel to it its years behind leeds manchester nottingham etc and perfectley honest you can blame the council for being short sighted ikea in the city centre would be perfect but wont happen due to the council .

the problem is sheffield doesnt have the big city feel to it its years behind leeds manchester nottingham etc and perfectley honest you can blame the council for being short sighted ikea in the city centre would be perfect but wont happen due to the council .

We don't need IKIA in the city centre...What we need in the centre of sheffield is a good market and diecent parking. Simple.:)

The city centre sucks.

We don't need IKIA in the city centre...What we need in the centre of sheffield is a good market and diecent parking. Simple.:)

There are about 30 car parks roughly bound by the inner ring road.

How many more do you need.

There is link below with printable map

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/out--about/maps/cyclecarpark.html