The former TJ Hughes store in Sheffield

I see on Look Leeds that a mega Trinity shopping centre is opening in the town centre of Leeds today. Shame we're still waiting for our's in Sheffield...

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I'm sure there's a Poundland and Sports Direct at Meadowhall. At the moment I can only think of 1 Poundland in the city centre - at the bottom of the Moor - as well as the 99p shop by Argos.

There's no way the city centre needs to be a high class shopping attraction. That's what Meadowhall is, full of over-priced clothes and shoe shops.

I'd rather have those 3 shops in TJ Hughes than it lying empty.

You appear to prefer the shops in the City centre to cater for the less prosperous among us,and not the more affluent spender.Is that good for Sheffield?

hehe, So Leeds rejected a shopping Mall, but have just spent millions building Trinity, a shopping destination all under one roof, with exactly the same website and similiar floorplan to Meadowhall.

http://www.trinityleeds.com/

But no, it's not a shopping Mall :lol: It's a 'shopping centre'.

Leeds just had the foresight to build in the centre of the city and welcome affluent shoppers, rather than turn every opportunity down and restrict access as much as possible.

So its officially opening today this Trinity centre didn't think it would have been ready so soon.

For some reason you do seem to be gloating about the project with your comments and posted links.Have you got a business interest for doing so or are you just an unfortunate Leeds resident with a grudge against Sheffield!

You mention Leeds,they have the right idea.They have rejected a plan to have a retail shopping mall like Meadowhall,and have started work on developing a new shopping area.It will be under shelter and have access to the main street department stores.It will have an entrance close to the Railway station,and a John Lewis store will be included which they don't yet have in Leeds.

I'm a little peeved about that,because having a John Lewis store in Sheffield was something many Leeds people envied of us.:roll:

Where's the White Rose Centre again? In so many ways Leeds is far better for retail than Sheffield. The station is very close to the shops that people want to go to in the centre. There's far more choice and lots of small arcades that people can go in to escape the rain.

Then just out of town you have the White Rose Centre, Ikea Retail Park, Xcape centre and adjacent Junction 32 retail outlet.

If they, who ever they are, why would they have these on the premises than T J Hughes,

But i dont know whether i am answering my own question but i did hear today that T J Hughes is going into the new market at the bottom of the moor.

I couldn't understand your question but TJ Hughes has already moved to the former Woolworths shop on The Moor. It's a lot smaller & just sells clothes.

As for the old TJ Huges building, I'm just glad it's being occupied. We don't need another large derelict shop the the city centre.

Edited by anywebsite

Where's the White Rose Centre again? In so many ways Leeds is far better for retail than Sheffield. The station is very close to the shops that people want to go to in the centre. There's far more choice and lots of small arcades that people can go in to escape the rain.

Then just out of town you have the White Rose Centre, Ikea Retail Park, Xcape centre and adjacent Junction 32 retail outlet.

As it happens i love the victorian arcades in Leeds.I couldn't care less about claustrophobic out of Town crowded shopping centres like Meadowhall that have no individuallity,and only go when i have no choice.

I like a Town centre to have taste and character.Sheffield has all those qualities and more but doesn't make full use of them.

I couldn't understand your question but TJ Hughes has already moved to the former Woolworths shop on The Moor. It's a lot smaller & just sells clothes.

As for the old TJ Huges building, I'm just glad it's being occupied. We don't need another large derelict shop the the city centre.

My question was T J Hughes was supposedly pushed out of the building on High Street,

So would the owners of the said building rather have Sports Direct poundland and Charity shops in there buildings than T J Hughes?

It has leaky roofs. I nearly fell over on one and my Subway drink had dirt in it from the leaky roof.

I'm surprised as due to health and safety measures any sign of water leaking onto the footfall is cordoned off very quickly.

---------- Post added 21-03-2013 at 14:21 ----------

So would the owners of the said building rather have Sports Direct poundland and Charity shops in there buildings than T J Hughes?

The leases for the new retail developments are for 10 years only which in retail terms is not very long, so I think they are planning ahead.

There are also 2 floors? left that may be developed for other things.

You appear to prefer the shops in the City centre to cater for the less prosperous among us,and not the more affluent spender.Is that good for Sheffield?

So its officially opening today this Trinity centre didn't think it would have been ready so soon.

For some reason you do seem to be gloating about the project with your comments and posted links.Have you got a business interest for doing so or are you just an unfortunate Leeds resident with a grudge against Sheffield!

Just watched the local news and on the basis of what I've seen having the Trinity shopping centre is nothing to gloat about.

The vox populi that was shown was depressing and put me in mind of 1970s zombie film Dawn of the Dead.

As a Sheffielder I'm proud to have the Peak District close by, an inspiring place :love:

It would be good if the city centre were to cater for more prosperous customers, but we need to be realistic. Folk who shop in the city centre are looking for bargains; those prosperous customers you mention will instead go to Meadowhall to satisfy their shopping desires.

Sevenstone ain't gonna see the light of day for years, so I don't see a change to the city centre demographics for the forseeable future.

It's not nice, it's not pleasant, but that's how it is.

Just watched the local news and on the basis of what I've seen having the Trinity shopping centre is nothing to gloat about.

The vox populi that was shown was depressing and put me in mind of 1970s zombie film Dawn of the Dead.

As a Sheffielder i'm proud to have the Peak District close by,an inspiring place to love.

Yes we are so lucky to be so near the Peak District.

---------- Post added 21-03-2013 at 15:18 ----------

It would be good if the city centre were to cater for more prosperous customers, but we need to be realistic. Folk who shop in the city centre are looking for bargains; those prosperous customers you mention will instead go to Meadowhall to satisfy their shopping desires.

Sevenstone ain't gonna see the light of day for years, so I don't see a change to the city centre demographics for the forseeable future.

It's not nice, it's not pleasant, but that's how it is.

The proposal for the old Fitzalan Square Post Office should cheer us up.

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/college-plan-for-sheffield-landmark-1-5515433

I'd like to know why nothing was done with the building opposite Castle Market (old courthouse or town hall?)

The proposal for the old Fitzalan Square Post Office should cheer us up.

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/college-plan-for-sheffield-landmark-1-5515433

Those plans look amazing :)

Provided that Peel Holdings, Hammersons and Mothersole are kept well away from the project, it might actually get off the ground :hihi:

---------- Post added 21-03-2013 at 15:47 ----------

I'd like to know why nothing was done with the building opposite Castle Market (old courthouse or town hall?)

Is that a serious question?!

You're actually asking why nobody wants to invest in the dirtiest part of a dirty city centre?

I'm not going to dignify that question with a response.

:roll: