The former TJ Hughes store in Sheffield

'Thats why the town is dead, because of Meadowhall

Yup, long may it reign, town is and always will be a complete dump.

Are Sports Direct (or whoever are moving into the old TJ's building) part of the same Sports World / Soccer World at Meadowhall? They do have some good bargains, and very good sales, but I think their non-sale prices will be too expensive for your typical sheffielder :D

Are Sports Direct (or whoever are moving into the old TJ's building) part of the same Sports World / Soccer World at Meadowhall? They do have some good bargains, and very good sales, but I think their non-sale prices will be too expensive for your typical sheffielder :D

Yes, same company.

A bit like TJ Hughes in some ways - they sell some nice stuff in there but a huge amount of "own brand" stuff like Donnay/ Slazenger etc too - some of the "discounts" make me laugh in there - you'll see a reasonably priced top at (say) a tenner but with a "discounted" sticker on it claiming that it was "previously £64.99" (giving the impression that you're getting some huge saving, though nobody in their right mind would pay £64.99!)

Found this on "Google" - In 1972 Cockaynes Ltd was taken over by Schofields (Leeds) Ltd and the name of the store changed to Schofields. The store closed in November 1982.

Was surprised to learn that it was 1982 it had closed - shows how time gets distorted as if anyone had asked me I would have said that the store had closed in the 70's as many other posters have said.

Found this on "Google" - In 1972 Cockaynes Ltd was taken over by Schofields (Leeds) Ltd and the name of the store changed to Schofields. The store closed in November 1982.

Was surprised to learn that it was 1982 it had closed - shows how time gets distorted as if anyone had asked me I would have said that the store had closed in the 70's as many other posters have said.

I loved Cockaynes and am actually standing on a bedroom carpet bought from there. The carpet was originally a large fitted carpet in my previous house, and was refitted into two bedrooms when we moved to the present house. My God , Ive had my moneys worth out of this carpet, and still no sign of wear or tear. ! :)

Eeh, they don't mek 'em like that anymore.

Hi everyone

There is scaffolding up outside the old TJ Hughes building on High Street and I was wondering if anyone knows what its going to be?

I have searched for other threads but cant one for the old building just the new one in the market.

I'm just being nosey as I work next door ;)

Thanks xXx

Sports Direct an Pound Shop I have heard,some say Oxfam shop as well

It's going to be offices.

Everything east of the bottom of Fargate will no longer be for commercial use - Primark and everything else in that area (castle square/Haymarket) is all being relocated to the Moor.