The former TJ Hughes store in Sheffield

It was a low budget shop in the first place - you make it sound like TJ Hughes was John Lewis!

Well TJ Hughes was like John lewis for people like me that bought branded products at catalogue prices, but not the John lewis layout and prices. Sheffielders loved TJ Hughes - they really provided good products at discounted prices ( who cares the staff were as rude bas f**k) - that store made my home. It was John lewis to me. And many more, i suspect. ....What on earth is your point?

Well TJ Hughes was like John lewis for people like me that bought branded products at catalogue prices, but not the John lewis layout and prices. Sheffielders loved TJ Hughes - they really provided good products at discounted prices ( who cares the staff were as rude bas f**k) - that store made my home. It was John lewis to me. And many more, i suspect. ....What on earth is your point?

andygardener was complaining about "low budget shops" - I was pointing out that these three new shops have replaced a "low budget shop".

TJ Hughes is a good shop, very popular, I've bought plenty of things from there over the years, but it was always fairly "cheap and cheerful".

Obviously some people want to have a pop at the council so will grab any chance that they can.

andygardener was complaining about "low budget shops" - I was pointing out that these three new shops have replaced a "low budget shop".

TJ Hughes is a good shop, very popular, I've bought plenty of things from there over the years, but it was always fairly "cheap and cheerful".

Obviously some people want to have a pop at the council so will grab any chance that they can.

I was pointing out planner1's excuse that lack of suitable large retail units was stopping the great and the good setting up shop was clearly rubbish. Nothing to do with budget, all to do with floor space...we have a massive floor space vacancy and what happens, it gets cut up into smaller units. Do keep up.

Saved by the new owners, then moved to the former Woolworths/ Peacocks place on the Moor - in a few months time it'll be opening a new TJ Hughes in the new Market building opposite Atkinsons

Thats why it moved from the high street building its going into the new market.

That wasn't a 'pop' at youv- sorry - the forum posting makes it difficult to quote the right poster - that wasn't you. but my view remains 9 apologies to you though)

I've had the odd bargain from TJs that i've been very pleased with.

Yes we need lower priced stores for those of us on a lower income,but isn't it better to have a mix.Too many cheap shops present a poor image.

I wouldn't want to be without John Lewis not only for fashion etc but especially electrical appliances.

Better quality department stores are needed in a town centre if we want to attract tourists and visitors to the city to help boost the economy and compete with other large city's like Manchester and Leeds.

Do you remember the GAP store near the Peace Gardens several years ago? Yes, we did have a while ago and I will never forget its opening day when Sheffield's leftwing hippes were picketing the store regarding its 'sweatshop' practices :clap:

You wouldn't get that in any other city and that's what makes me proud to live here.

:hihi:

But you would. Liverpool is a prime example. Go and find a Murdoch product there.

Good luck in your quest.

Meanwhile, their city centre is a shopping honeypot.

Radicalism and success are not mutually exclusive.

I've had the odd bargain from TJs that i've been very pleased with.

Yes we need lower priced stores for those of us on a lower income,but isn't it better to have a mix.Too many cheap shops present a poor image.

I wouldn't want to be without John Lewis not only for fashion etc but especially electrical appliances.

Better quality department stores are needed in a town centre if we want to attract tourists and visitors to the city to help boost the economy and compete with other large city's like Manchester and Leeds.

Go to Leeds and Manchester then - if you can afford it. But stop trying to make Sheffield upmarket. It is not. Why does society value the people populating areas hosting the largest retail areas the most? This is a sick materialistic society.

---------- Post added 22-03-2013 at 01:00 ----------

Go to Leeds and Manchester then - if you can afford it. But stop trying to make Sheffield upmarket. It is not. Why does society value the people populating areas hosting the largest retail areas the most? This is a sick materialistic society.

There'll be no northern heritage left at this rate.

But you would. Liverpool is a prime example. Go and find a Murdoch product there.

Good luck in your quest.

Meanwhile, their city centre is a shopping honeypot.

Radicalism and success are not mutually exclusive.

But those two examples couldn't be more different.

Them scousers were angry because... well, do scousers need a reason to be angry all the time?

Whereas Sheffield's left-wing hippy mob were at least trying to bring some fairness into the world.

There'll be no northern heritage left at this rate.

So northern heritage is synonymous with cheap shops and run down city centres?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

And for how long?

And the OP is discussing Sheffield - You are now bringing Leeds into this thread. That's a totally different subject and gives rise to many different arguments. Stick to the thread subject please. OP posted a good one.

I didn't bring Leeds into it..I was replying to someone else..you need to aim your criticism at them...

If you go back to the original tenant of this building, wasn't it Walsh's? (50s/60s). That was a high end department store.