Help needed with Middlewood research project

Does anyone know the exact date that Middlewood hospital closed its doors for the last time please. Also does anyone know if there are any records of patient treatment during the early years of the South Yorkshire Asylum.

Thanks

Does anyone know the exact date that Middlewood hospital closed its doors for the last time please. Also does anyone know if there are any records of patient treatment during the early years of the South Yorkshire Asylum.

Thanks

To the best of my knowledge Middlewood Hospital closed over a matter of about twenty years or more, i don't think you would get an exact date of when it finally closed it doors as that would be a matter of opinion.

@ David, I won't enter into discussions on here about my beliefs or disbeliefs, especialy on this thread as it was intended for answers for my research for an article on Asylums. I have looked in to all aspects of Mysticism over the years but I do not follow any particular doctrine and Sheffield Paranormal as a group is open to any race or religion.

---------- Post added 20-03-2013 at 09:28 ----------

Thankd Nikki - red I will have a browse x

The index to the admission registers transcribed by myself and 3 others are now available online.

The records of Middlewood Hospital (1872 – 1996) are at Sheffield Archives. These include patient admission registers dating back to 1872 which list the names of the many thousands of people who passed through the asylum, detailing ages, occupations and ‘causes of insanity’.

The names of all patients admitted to Middlewood Hospital between 1872 and 1910 can be searched using the indexes on the archives site. Further information is available from the actual registers

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/libraries/archives-and-local-studies/research-guides/mental-health.html

Edited by Tuppie

I used to work in walkley from 1978 with mentally handicapped. When the patients wanted new clothes we would go to Middlewood hosp. They had a shop the only problem was there was not much choice and they all seemed similar.

My grandfather used to play trumpet at dances held at middlewood hosp. They had a social club It was like a self contained village.

To me, visiting "the place" was very dismall. I can remember lots of noise constantly. The patients seemed to be happy tho .... x